BBC The Three Musketeers NEW Drama (Discussion/News/Speculation) (SPOILERS IN TAGS)

Comments

• Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually this is the first episode where I haven't dropped off to sleep! I quite enjoyed it.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A nice change of pace last night - it was lovely to see the boys back together without any court stuff going on..

it was especially nice to see the return of some Aramis / Porthos and d'Artagnan / Athos moments. Last year Athos often pushed d'Artagnan away when he tried to talk to him - Commodities springs to mind, when Athos was standing near the tree where he had Milady hung - but this time d'Artagnan pushed a bit harder and got a smile out of Athos.

So Milady could have been telling the truth when she said Thomas tried to rape her? I wonder if Catherine was involved? She certainly seemed bitter that Milady 'took' Athos away from her. It could still be a double-bluff though.

Not the most exciting or original of storylines but that was off-set by some good character moments.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    A nice change of pace last night - it was lovely to see the boys back together without any court stuff going on..

So Milady could have been telling the truth when she said Thomas tried to rape her? I wonder if Catherine was involved? She certainly seemed bitter that Milady 'took' Athos away from her. It could still be a double-bluff though.

Not the most exciting or original of storylines but that was off-set by some good character moments.

Considering Thomas was killed in a big room with servants and Catherine close by it seems a bit dubious that he tried it on with Milady, but you never know, maybe he liked to live dangerously:)
    Now Athos has two women after him, or after each other and him and Aramis has offended Marguerite. D'Artagnan has his problems with Constance; Porthos should think himself lucky he hasn't got a romantic entanglement at the moment.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I kept expecting them to break out into a chorus of "do you hear the people sing" from Les Mis. It looks like they are setting this up for a big showdown between Milady and the bitter posh bird last night. A long sword fight and slo mo grapple in the mud is on the cards methinks.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember what series 1 showed in flashback about Milady but I thought it inferred that she killed Thomas deliberately - now I'm starting to wonder if she was set up by the evil Katherine and was innocent all along!

If that was the case and Athos hung her for no good reason then HE was to blame for her becoming all bitter and twisted. That would be a good twist but I'm not sure if it would be very realistic.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,503
    Forum Member
    So the pretty young thing accused of murdering Athos' brother is the same person as the grotesque Milady? As I suggested the actress is doing a cracking job at portraying the inner ugliness of the woman she became.
  • Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Proficient Seven Samurai>Magnificent 7 rip-off.

Yes, or for all the old Merlin fans whose names I recognise here, the villagers fighting off an evil lord reminded me rather of Merlin S1 E10 when Merlin, Arthur, Morgana and Gwen go off to save Merlin's home village from the evil Kanan. There were even the scenes of the experienced fighters teaching the villagers how to fight, and the single combat at the end. Sometimes I wonder if any story is ever truly unique.

it was especially nice to see the return of some Aramis / Porthos and d'Artagnan / Athos moments. Last year Athos often pushed d'Artagnan away when he tried to talk to him - Commodities springs to mind, when Athos was standing near the tree where he had Milady hung - but this time d'Artagnan pushed a bit harder and got a smile out of Athos.

Yes, I agree with this. I am a sucker for a troubled man so I was very pleased to have an Athos-centric episode and I thought there were some nice little character/relationship building moments. Interesting to have Treville there too, though I am now thinking that with Treville no longer captain of the musketeers and fighting on the front line, so to speak, his days may be numbered. Obviously he has to be around long enough to let Porthos know whatever he knows about Porthos' father, but after that information is released, I don't hold out much hope for poor Treville's chances of survival.
    I kept expecting them to break out into a chorus of "do you hear the people sing" from Les Mis. It looks like they are setting this up for a big showdown between Milady and the bitter posh bird last night. A long sword fight and slo mo grapple in the mud is on the cards methinks.

Ha ha. Re BIB: or is that wishful thinking on your part? ;-)
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »
    Ha ha. Re BIB: or is that wishful thinking on your part? ;-)

Of course not. It's de rigueur for these sorts of dramas (or so I'm told). :p
  • crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

I am showing my age here, though I kept hearing the song from the Basil Brush show " Basil De Farmer the knight in shining armour" He fought against injustice as well :D:D:D

I am also a fan of Athos and have always been a sucker for brooding heroes, am hoping true love will out and Milady to be proven as a victim of the evil Katherine. Her and Athos can forgive each other and walk off into the lovely sunset :blush::blush::blush: Ok sorry will get my coat
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I am also a fan of Athos and have always been a sucker for brooding heroes, am hoping true love will out and Milady to be proven as a victim of the evil Katherine. Her and Athos can forgive each other and walk off into the lovely sunset :blush::blush::blush: Ok sorry will get my coat

I dunno about running off into the sunset but there's definitely some blurring of the lines and misdirection being given out this series in regards to Miladys character. Whether Thomas attacked her or she just made it up has always been in question but adding Catherine, who clearly has reason to hate her, into the mix as a witness is obviously making things even more murky.

My guess is that Milady is on some sort of redemption arc, I don't know whether that will include the truth of that incident (it was interesting that one of the main stories was a 'gentleman' intending to rape a woman he thought of as below him) but I think that she'll definitely save the good guys at some stage. Trouble is, even if she really was innocent back then, she's done some awful things since so therefore will ultimately have to pay the price. I predict she'll die doing good.

The rest of the episode; I quite enjoyed it. The Western theme was a tad overdone though (and done better before in Knight Takes Queen) and those little bits of Mexican style music just imitated me. As did Athos, who I usually like, but he wasn't half coming across like an ungrateful, unwilling toddler for the first half. I liked that the camaraderie was back, I liked Treville finally getting his groove back and I liked that Constance wasn't there to save the day...again.

Oh, and best of all Rochefort was absent (back in his cage -presumably). He can stay there..
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    Oh, and best of all Rochefort was absent (back in his cage -presumably). He can stay there..

I half-expected them to have Marc Warren lurking behind a convenient hillock or perched in a particularly leafy tree eavesdropping while remaining cunningly unseen by our heroes. He's a bloody lurker and no mishtake!
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Turned it off halfway through. I think I'm going to give the rest of the series a miss. It's pretty woeful stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    The rest of the episode; I quite enjoyed it. The Western theme was a tad overdone though (and done better before in Knight Takes Queen) and those little bits of Mexican style music just imitated me. As did Athos, who I usually like, but he wasn't half coming across like an ungrateful, unwilling toddler for the first half. I liked that the camaraderie was back, I liked Treville finally getting his groove back and I liked that Constance wasn't there to save the day...again. .

I thought Athos came over as a bastard; it's one thing having a traumatic event ruin your life and turn you into a reclusive drunk but to deliberately turn your back on people who rely on you and tell them you don't give a stuff if they're murdered or enslaved kind of contradicts the whole musketeer ethic as we've been sold it, honour and all that. I can understand he never wanted to go back but he could have at least have taken their part without being more or less forced into it by his friends, even if he did it from a distance when they wrote to him.
    I also like the way his people knew where he lives to write to him though:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's being noticed that d'Artagnan is growing as a Musketeer in subtle ways this year - that when he talks to the others, it's on a more equal basis and in a way that shows he now knows each of them more than he used to. He's also the most brutal fighter, from strangling two men in episode 3 at the marketplace - Rochefort killed that prostitute by strangling her - to standing on a fallen bad guy in episode 5 to get over the baracade. I wonder if this extra aggression will result in him being able to kill Rochefort if the producers are going down the tradition route of having the two men swordfight to the death?
  • David_MacAteerDavid_MacAteer Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    And this weeks social justice issue is ….. aristocrats treatment of peasants.
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The theme which extended is for 3:12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOiAFxC7H_U

The other extended version which is for 59:57:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP5ezT1nrsk
  • marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    I thought Athos came over as a bastard; it's one thing having a traumatic event ruin your life and turn you into a reclusive drunk but to deliberately turn your back on people who rely on you and tell them you don't give a stuff if they're murdered or enslaved kind of contradicts the whole musketeer ethic as we've been sold it, honour and all that. I can understand he never wanted to go back but he could have at least have taken their part without being more or less forced into it by his friends, even if he did it from a distance when they wrote to him.
    I also like the way his people knew where he lives to write to him though:)

I thought 'but Athos knows who his parents are!', took a few more words to get what you meant.
    In this kind of show, you never know. For all we know, Porthos could be a bastard!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought 'but Athos knows who his parents are!', took a few more words to get what you meant.
    In this kind of show, you never know. For all we know, Porthos could be a bastard!

Quite likely! But I was surprised Athos was so far 'gone' as to be quite happy to leave his people to starve, given the usual themes of musketeers being honourable men, etc.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree - I didn't think much of Athos in this episode. I know a lot of people like the 'dark, brooding' type but to me he just came across as whiny and spoilt. This whole angst over Milady is getting old.
  • marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    Quite likely! But I was surprised Athos was so far 'gone' as to be quite happy to leave his people to starve, given the usual themes of musketeers being honourable men, etc.

Agreed. It's just that in the context of this show, i would have used another word. Something like..
    This is a good example that chronic brooding can lead to assolism!
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Da Vinci's Demons on a budget?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoy this for what it is but I'm getting really bored of the King being such a dick no matter what happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum spent the last 20 minutes of that saying - regarding Constance - "Kill her, go on kill her, she's not right for d'Artagnan" lol.

A good episode once it got going but I did find it a bit choppy during the start, in terms of the editing and the constant changing of scenes.

I'm also glad the three ships are now moving forward and that Rochefort is going to be on to Aramis by next week.

Louis needs a smack..
  • slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't impressed with this week's episode. Not terrible but just heavy going and more than a little cliched. Ah well. I've written my weekly review anyway.
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    My mum spent the last 20 minutes of that saying - regarding Constance - "Kill her, go on kill her, she's not right for d'Artagnan" lol.

A good episode once it got going but I did find it a bit choppy during the start, in terms of the editing and the constant changing of scenes.

I'm also glad the three ships are now moving forward and that Rochefort is going to be on to Aramis by next week.

Louis needs a smack..

.I'm with your mum. I don't know what it is about Constance, perhaps it's the way she's so right about everything, but God she irritates me. Small doses and Constance is fine, and I even like her friendship with Anne, but when the plot revolves around her, or she's around d'Artagnan, I zone out. Needless to say that corny end scene did nothing for me. Mind you I am a a skeptical old crone, so fair enough. But the way they were all standing/sitting there moist eyed watching? I suppose I could understand Anne (and it was lovely to see her smile- we don't see that enough) But soldiers? You just know Athos would be out of there for a drink, never mind the others. Daft... Louis (regrettably) was the one who made sense in that scene.

I found that episode a little bit boring, maybe it's the lack of peril. You know that they're going to be alive, going to save the day. They really really need to up the anti when it comes to danger and giving us the unexpected IMO. I know it's not Game of Thrones, but to me it needs a major character in real danger.

Otherwise I was amused by Milady eating that chicken leg whilst ordering them around and Aramis totally ignoring Margy, practically bumping past her shoulder to get past her when she was all looking for comfort at the end. I know that it's cruel to laugh, but I don't care about her, they haven't made me care about her, so..