Hate Dealing With Public Sector Workers!

Comments

• Diamond HeadDiamond Head Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jean_Kelly wrote: »
    I can't spend any more time "debating" with you ... We will have to agree to disagree.

Have you any conference calls or meetings today?
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    So is no one going to be specific about who exactly they mean because the public sector is pretty massive. The council? NHS workers? Emergency Services?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    So is no one going to be specific about who exactly they mean because the public sector is pretty massive. The council? NHS workers? Emergency Services?

Anybody who gets paid through public tax money, they can't stand the fact they have to pay people out of their hard earned taxes.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Struck a cord have I? :D:D

That's 'chord', by the way.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    Not sure what your point is ... They want people with no opinions, no personality, and someone that doesn't rock the boat so to speak ... Clones in other words. ... Muppets IMO .

You are not making much sense there.
    Forum Member
    On the other hand, some of us work hard for a pittance, we don't spend all day looking for ways to skive, we take pride in our work and we don't steal flexitime left, right and centre (I hate this but it's rife in my workplace).

How do you "steal" flexitime? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    How do you "steal" flexitime? :confused:

5 mins here 5 mins there.

Arrive at your desk at 9.04am put down you arrived at 9.00am leave desk 4.56pm put you left at 5pm.

That's nearly an hour a week.
  • laineythenomadlaineythenomad Posts: 3,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unskilled, inept lazy and incompetent. They are a nightmare to deal with and wouldn't last 5 minutes in the private sector.

Cushy jobs if you can get them of course with their golden pensions

I think their pensions should be reduced and pay frozen for the foreseeable future. No equivalent public sector job should pay more than a private sector one .

And if they don't like it they can move into the private sector where you have no choice to be productive and not sit around drinking tea all day >:(

Ah, the politics of envy. Don't you just love it...
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »

Arrive at your desk at 9.04am put down you arrived at 9.00am leave desk 4.56pm put you left at 5pm.

Well, 40 minutes in a 5-day week! It's a bit naughty, but the same thing probably happens in offices that don't have flexitime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cribside wrote: »
    Denial of the OP's points is even more laughable. Thankfully DC is reigning in the public sector... just like good old Maggie R.I.P.

It's "reining in" actually. For a Thatcherite, your spelling is even more laughable than the posts you are criticising.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, 40 minutes in a 5-day week! It's a bit naughty, but the same thing probably happens in offices that don't have flexitime.

Yes but you don't get a day off for that.

If you include a lunchtime 5 mins both ends as well you are well on your way to a day off a month especially if your manager isn't based in the office you work in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    You know it's desperation when little spelling mistakes are the only thing worth posting over. Actually I think it qualifies as a Freudian slip.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member

See, maybe it's wrong, but I think as long as you have done all your work are hitting all your targets etc then 5 minutes here and there really doesn't matter. It seems silly if you have finished at say 4.45pm and you just sit there waiting for the clock to hit 5. I don't think that's good for morale. In fact I have a lot of friends and family who work in the City and the more relaxed way of working seems to be increasing because it seems to actually increase productivity and morale. I see the increase in introduction of 'duvet' days too. Mind you that has only been for private sector.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know it's desperation when little spelling mistakes are the only thing worth posting over. Actually I think it qualifies as a Freudian slip.

Struck a c(h)ord have I? Oh I do love trolling the trolls :D
    Forum Member

How is it any different?
    Forum Member
    Struck a c(h)ord have I? Oh I do love trolling the trolls :D

Haha troll away. Of course, anyone with a Tory viewpoint will be a troll to a chip on the shoulder Blairite like yourself.
  • Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in the public sector but have worked in the private sector, and for a charity as well.

Some of my colleagues would not last two minutes in the private sector but these tend to be ones who have never worked anywhere else.

There are some who the song 'Busy Doing Nothing' was written for - they are not so good as they think they are at looking busy whilst doing absolutely nothing though, as it does get noticed.

On the other hand, some of us work hard for a pittance, we don't spend all day looking for ways to skive, we take pride in our work and we don't steal flexitime left, right and centre (I hate this but it's rife in my workplace).

You mean like going on Digital Spy to rant?
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean like going on Digital Spy to rant?

I'm not at work - if I was I wouldn't be on DS having a rant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you include a lunchtime 5 mins both ends as well you are well on your way to a day off a month especially if your manager isn't based in the office you work in.

I know people who fiddle it so well they easily make enough for a day a fortnight!

And they are 'managers'.
  • Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not at work - if I was I wouldn't be on DS having a rant.

So this is the best thing you can do on your day off?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you saying your flexitime is a paper based system?

My first job was public sector, some 25 years ago. We had flexitime, but the system was electronic. You had terminals around the site, one of which was in our building.
    We had a yellow plastic 'key' that we had to insert into the terminal when we arrived/left for the day and also for lunchtime too. There was no way of 'fiddling' the flexitime system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My first job was public sector, some 25 years ago. We had flexitime, but the system was electronic. You had terminals around the site, one of which was in our building.
    We had a yellow plastic 'key' that we had to insert into the terminal when we arrived/left for the day and also for lunchtime too. There was no way of 'fiddling' the flexitime system.

HMRC do their flexi on a SEES excel spreadsheet which you send to your boss every 4 weeks.

There is no signing on or off or swiping, they can look at what time you logged into your computer and logged out but they would only do that if they were investigating you for flexi fraud.

As I haven't worked there for a while now they could have changed it but it is unlikely and it's done on trust especially if your manager is in another office.
    Forum Member

Commonly known as a clocking in card. Most local authorities can't afford such expensive systems. Flexitime there tends to be paper based or saved on a spreadsheet, but relies wholly on the employees honesty, and some sort of audit process by the management.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Commonly known as a clocking in card. Most local authorities can't afford such expensive systems. Flexitime there tends to be paper based or saved on a spreadsheet, but relies wholly on the employees honesty, and some sort of audit process by the management.

It was key shaped key, not a card, but the principle is the same.

It was easy for all involved and this was 25 years ago.
    The terminal had a few LCD displays that displayed your time and your cumulative time for that flexi period, so you could see how much more you'd done, or how much you owed.

A certain amount of 'carry over' either way was allowed when a new period started.
    I would work the extra and take is as 'flexi leave'.

I work in the private sector. There's no system here to keep tabs on people's times. You could be supper efficient or a super slacker and there'd be no audit trail. It relies wholly on employee honesty.