Options

Ok I did it, I watched Avatar...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
Forum Member
✭✭
It's one of those films I knew I'd hate so vowed never to watch, everyone has a selection of films like that, right?

Anyway I didn't hate it, I tried to watch it like I'd watch one of the kids films, accept it's silly but suspend reality and just enjoy the sillyness but there was a little voice in my head that kept on saying....''This is the most popular film EVER!'' really??? :confused: Do people actually take this jumped up Fern Gully seriously?

It was alright, watchable but so are alot of really bad films. I didn't hate it though.

Comments

• Options
    Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    I still haven't seen it.

Same with Matrix and Xmen.:o
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a watchable film, but sorely overrated IMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it eventually but it was one of those films I kept pausing and doing other things then going back to it.
  • Options
    ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and we thought we were the last 5 in the UK to watch it on Boxing Day night (and the 27th evening too as it was so long....or did it just appear long...?) :D

I had no interest in a film with a such a cliché title (although in the context of the film it was ok) and of course with Titanic on the c.v. (undoing all the good work of T2) I had no interest in another JC film. That said it wasn't as bad as I had dreaded it would be although me and the wife looked at each other (after I woke her up) and said simultaneously 'what was all the fuss about?'

I read somewhere else it was 'Dances with Wolves' in space and that would appear spot on. A film to help US audiences purge collective guilt due to the ethnic cleansing that occurred in the quest for 'natural resources'...?
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zaphodski wrote: »
    ...and we thought we were the last 5 in the UK to watch it on Boxing Day night (and the 27th evening too as it was so long....or did it just appear long...?) :D

I had no interest in a film with a such a cliché title (although in the context of the film it was ok) and of course with Titanic on the c.v. (undoing all the good work of T2) I had no interest in another JC film. That said it wasn't as bad as I had dreaded it would be although me and the wife looked at each other (after I woke her up) and said simultaneously 'what was all the fuss about?'

I read somewhere else it was 'Dances with Wolves' in space and that would appear spot on. A film to help US audiences purge collective guilt due to the ethnic cleansing that occurred in the quest for 'natural resources'...?

the thing with Avatar tho is that it was massive all over the world . If anything it's an anti-corporate movie . and it made a ton of money which all went to ... a big corporation .
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Cameron/Robert Zemeckis both tend to make technically demanding films without much heart in them most of the time.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    my husband had watched it and told me it was good..why I've decided not to watch it as I'll know that I'll not like it :)
  • Options
    merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We watched it yesterday. Found it okay but a bit predictable, we hadn't realised it was so long!!:eek:
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually prefer all the hardware stuff to all the blue people/ecology stuff .
  • Options
    SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrscee wrote: »
    my husband had watched it and told me it was good..why I've decided not to watch it as I'll know that I'll not like it :)

Strange, my wife is also convinced if I say a film is good, that it wont be, so she doesnt even watch any part of any film I say that is good.

Used to annoy me, but then I turned it around. Anything I think she might like, I am now hugely enthusiastic about. It's great to see some of the classic films she has missed as a result!!

From Notting Hill to The Dark Knight, Pirates Of The Caribbean to Avatar, Gran Torino, Love Actually, Bridget Jones - I've managed to make sure she has never seen any of them. My sons are in on the joke and cannot believe she falls for it every time.;)
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still haven't seen it myself. I'm a massive sci-fan too, and also a fan of Cameron, especially when he's trying to push new boundaries in movie making.

The reason why I haven't seen it though is that I don't want to hate it. Although I'm off down to Sainsburys in a moment for some beer, so I might pick it up on BluRay. I reckon it's about time I bite the bullet and give it a looksee.
  • Options
    starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was alright but no way best film ever

and it was definitely space pocahontas/dances with smurfs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avatar is definately overated. Sure the special effects and the way it was filmed is fantastic but i'll take plot over visuals any day.

I'm also not bothered about the whole 3D phenomenon.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main appeal was the visuals, not the plot. Particularly the groundbreaking (at that moment in time) way it used 3D and CGI. Watching it on a TV screen isn't going to deliver that, and the more time that passes the less impressive the technology will seem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyri wrote: »
    It was a watchable film, but sorely overrated IMO.

Agree!

It is all style (fantastic & groundbreaking visual) over substance (an engaging story which it lacked).

I have watched it once and that is enough for me.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend to agree with the majority sentiment on the thread, in fact I thought Avatar was worse than 300 :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did you get that its the most popular movie ever???

Its made the most money yes, but that doesn't make it the most popular movie ever.
  • Options
    SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched it two more times now since originally seeing it at the cinema, and I think I hate the film less than I did originally. I agree with what people say on here, that's it's watchable but it's still an exercise in all surface and exactly no substance at all, plus it drags on way too long. It's clearly a massively overrated film
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    STILL not watched this! Though may succumb now it is on Sky movies, just to see what the fuss is about!;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Hmmm.. I am LOVING this thread people... :)

I have avoided Avatar like the plague as I am convinced I will hate it. I'm not a big fan of blockbuster movies - Independence Day made me zzzz, even Titanic didn't really float my boat and as for Clash of the Titans - I'll take the original over the awful remake any day. If I say The Shining, Rebecca and The Breakfast Club rate in my top ten all time favourite movies and that Sherlock Holmes was my favourite film of 2010, I think it's clear I prefer characterisation over special effects.

My brother and sister though are absolutely convinced I will LOVE Avatar. 'I have to see it' they say. 'We absolutely guarantee you will LOVE this film'. I'm not convinced though. The trailer put me off and the last film my siblings so passionately insisted I watch was The Matrix - which I fell asleep during.

I am being seriously bullied to watch Avatar. I think some of the comments in this thread though may give me justification to pass - so thanks :)
  • Options
    ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starman700 wrote: »
    it was alright but no way best film ever

and it was definitely space pocahontas/dances with smurfs

...so funny :D
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched a bit of it.

Irritating is the overall impression it left.

Gave up when after they had CGI sex and fell asleep, the big machine appeared and started cutting down the forest. Direct copy from Ferngully (except for the sex) and without Tim Curry singing a really kick ass song, mores the pity.

Can't believe during all the time it took to make the bloody film, nobody took JC to one side and said,
    "this is shite and has been done better, more convincingly and with more integrity before and no amount of CGI is going to cover that up".

Mind you as the quote says,
    " Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public"
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mind you as the quote says,
    " Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public"

The film made $2 billion dollars outside the US, including $150 million in the UK alone.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anachrony wrote: »
    The film made $2 billion dollars outside the US, including $150 million in the UK alone.

Needs to be up dated then. :D

TBH, I just wanted to get the quote right. I didn't consider that people wouldn't think it couldn't be applied to everywhere in the world.:o
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do like James Cameron movies - Aliens considered ny fave of all time - but Avatar is my least fave.
    its a visual fest nothing more. worth just watching for that.

I have only seen it once at the cinema last year - and have just ordered the special edition on bluray, which I was waiting for.

and yes OP, there are movies that I refuse to ever watch. films like Love Actually and anything with love in the title or anything with Hugh Grant/Richard Curtis partnership is just my idea of Hell itself.