Sony NWZ-A829 broke today recommend me a new MP3 player?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
Forum Member
My MP3 player of choice for the last several years has broken today. The headphone socket on the player stopped outputting audio to the left speaker and then this evening stopped supplying audio fullstop. Tried different headphones as a logical troubleshoot and its definitely the player.

So now need to purchase MP3 player. However I'm out of touch with todays market so can someone recommend what would be a good buy? Looking for something that has similar storage capacity (16gb) or higher then I have currently. Also would really be happy if it didn't have any Volume Limiting Crap coded into it. I'm a bit hard of hearing so need a loud MP3 player. Apart from those requirements I'm open to suggestions.

Comments

• TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep going back to Sony because they tend to be good music quality and easy to use. But some of the newer Sonys have unlockable volume limiting which makes them very quiet (the NWZ-A845 for example)

I have an old NWZ-S639F which is quite battered but it's just very good. Small though.

I did get a similar model to yours (NWZ-A729) which seemed a little bit louder/cleaner than even my S639F. But I didn't like the button placement so sold it.

Maybe get another NWZ-A829 of Ebay? Or get the NWZ-A729 which is the same but lacks Bluetooth I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    Yes bit disappointed, saw Sony doing a 64gb Walkman and thought it'd be awesome as have been very pleased with my A829, then I read the reviews and everyone complains the volume is too restricted. On my A829 never listened to it lower then Level 30, via the headphones, never used the bluetooth except in car as thats limited. Turns out these new devices can't go above Level 15.

So guess I won't be buying a Sony walkman this time around. Someone has mentioned to me Cowan/Cowen or something like that doing good MP3 players. Anyone have experience of these?
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Cowon get good reviews but I have never used one.

Just avoid Philips! Total junk.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try a soldering iron after you have priced open the mp3 player.

Its 70% likely to need a bit of new solder on the socket..

Of course you can't go wrong with the Sandisk Clip+
    16GB(8+8) for £37 via play.com. It has FM but no radio record function via the mic.
    And expandable to 40GB via the SD slot..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot to mention but the original clip was the best selling sub $100 mp3 player in the US.

I wonder if the clip + has the same claim?
    Maybe for the sub $50 category considering prices are now one third of a year or two ago,
    Forum Member
    Clip looks like a nice cheap solution in the meantime. However looking at the listing on Play it makes no mention of whether it supports aac format files. If it doesn't its going to be a real pain converting all the music on my computer and current walkman to put on this device.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do not do it but putting Rockbox on the clip+ does.

This no doubt gives FM recording too.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockbox#SanDisk

Thousands buy it for Rockbox. Despite the fanclub it's not always better despite being a great alternative.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    I had one of those, thing is the price dropped so fast, you can get the equivalent sony which is now the low end model for almost nothing now. Unless you feel like getting some kind of touch screen type of nonsense the replacement equivalent in functionality from sony will be very cheap. Those 829's used to be ipod touch money....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The price very much reflects the Flash memory cost.
    Its probably $2 for the SOC, $2 for the screen and $2 for the battery.
    The memory is much less than $1 per GB.

£35 for a 16GB mp3 player is/was unbeatable.
    And the brilliant thing about Sandisk is that they are persevering with the old high sound quality chipsets that still allow Rockbox.
    Forum Member
    Yea I bought the 829 and watched the price tumble:(
    Now 16GB flash costs nothin.
    It was a good player, cept for the control pad design, too easy to fumble, and the fast forward..too slow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got the Sony NW-HD3.

An amazing looking device in silver aluminium but more importantly the sound rocks.
    They certainly don't make them like they used to.
  • SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I've got the Sony NW-HD3.

An amazing looking device in silver aluminium but more importantly the sound rocks.
    They certainly don't make them like they used to.

That was a nice wee player.

Now, of course, a quick visit to the main Sony Walkman site see's a once innovative and inspiring company, now just trying to look as much like an iPod page as possible. :(

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/walkman

Same colours. . .same style. . .same layout placement just behind each other. Blurgh.

With me elected as CEO (obviously I'm joking :p) I will strip away the copycat, and restart the innovation that has made Sony one of the worlds most respected brands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got to agree with you there Soundburst.
    It smacked of 'giving up'.

With regards to others comments on sound levels most adhere to the maximum allowed in the US.
    Hacks must be used to destroy your ear drums.
    Forum Member
    Well you forget the sony innovation of sonic stage;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luckily I update seldom!
    There were also plenty of 'copy and paste' type alternatives for some doomed Sony devices.

Its quite incredible that Sonicstage(+connect) is actually worse than iTunes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Luckily I update seldom!
    There were also plenty of 'copy and paste' type alternatives for some doomed Sony devices.

Its quite incredible that Sonicstage(+connect) is actually worse than iTunes.

I have a PSP and the software they bundle with it to transfer my music, video, games, online PSN store is absolutely horrific.

SO HORRIFIC that I actually just manually use the file directory to do it all.

Downloading games, and transferring them to the PSP is also so horrible that I'd rather download the game via the PSP over wi-fi. I've got this fantastic Xross Media Bar interface on the PSP. . .and the software on the computer is just a completely different mess. I just don't comprehend the designers - they mustn't actually use the products.

Sony desperately need to get their act together in order to get some kind of second wind.

They need to realise that with a portable device, the device is only half the product. The software used to control the content you transfer to the device also needs to be something you don't dread working with.

Their hardware is quite often there. . .it's the rest that lets them down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They actually saw sense(too late) and moved most of their devices to simple 'copy and paste'.
    (Well I say simple but copy and paste involves more that is beyond some users.)

However like most, their soundchips have also lost quality
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've realised that consumer devices simply don't need these ultra great sound chips.

General consumers won't really care about the high fidelity audio - especially when they compress their AIFF's to MP3/AAC anyway - so why bother with the cost.

The sound chips aren't really an issue either way. Perhaps audio freaks who prefer uncompressed AIFF while walking around with studio grade headphones (which are just as important in quality as the outputting chip) would be fussed - but the majority of people in the market for an MP3 player aren't really fussed on those differences.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't agree. I also have a no name 40GB portable sound gadget that is ok for what it is.
    But because of the dynamic sound Sony I prefer to give it a miss.

Ignorance is certainly bliss, so of course if I owned a portable 500GB device that played uncompressed CD's I might also give the Sony a miss.

My Pink Floyd dark side of the moon crackly vinyl LP also sounds better than my PF dsom CD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Different devices appeal to different people in different ways.

I love my digital audio. But if I'm enjoying music, I'll be playing it through my stereo from CD at any time I can.

My portable media device (iPhone in this case) will only ever be used to listen to music out and about, in the background of my daily activities like waiting on the bus.
    Forum Member
    Well, they could have sold on sound quality, but their primary concern was drm and pushing their stupid attrac format, and that over rode everything else, and by the time they stopped, it was too late. They could not build a brand reputation based on sound quality anymore, the time had passed.
    Forum Member
    Owning a Samsung Galaxy S mobile phone, I might hang on till next month now to see what the Samsung MP3 Players are like that basically use the same case as the Galaxy S phone but without the Mobile Phone gubbings. People seem to like the new Ipod Touches that are basically IPhone 4s without the phone options.

No doubt the video player on my Phone is fantastic and the MP3 Player side of it could do with some work, so maybe in a standalone walkman they have got this cracked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pocatello wrote: »
    Well, they could have sold on sound quality, but their primary concern was drm and pushing their stupid attrac format,.
    A mistake they corrected too late with the NW-HD3.

However atrac was a main reason it had such good sound. Also being the file format for mini disc.