The most negative childrens nursery rhyme...

scar_tissuescar_tissue Posts: 719
Forum Member
✭✭
Humpty dumpty.

Why couldn't humpty be put back together again?

Comments

• ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's an egg.
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humpty dumpty.

and what's wrong with it being negative
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,564
    Forum Member
    Ring o ring of Rosies is bleak All about people dying from the plague
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

It's political correctness gone mad!!!!!!

I don't know what it is with these accident prone nursery rhyme folk. Jack and Jill went rolling down the hill resulting in Jack sustaining a nasty head injury. I gather he got patched up, though, albeit in a rather unconventional manner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three blind mice having their tails chopped off by a knife wielding mad woman is no picnic in the park either.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    well.........the king's men were Ok......they tried their best

but it was the kings horses clopping around, not looking where they were gong, kept treading on him.......and of course they weren't much help in the 'putting together' stakes what with them having no hands
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    It's political correctness gone mad!!!!!!

I don't know what it is with these accident prone nursery rhyme folk. Jack and Jill went rolling down the hill resulting in Jack sustaining a nasty head injury. I gather he got patched up, though, albeit in a rather unconventional manner.
    and is now sueing the local council for falling on unlevel ground
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadly some idiots do not want my kids hearing anything negative or anything that could cause him to be upset the type that wants to wrap the kids up in cotton wool and not face the real world
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I think most nursery rhymes have some historical context/meaning/symbolism.

As a child I had a beautifully illustrated book that I'd look at for hours.

I never quite 'got' this one - I wonder what significance this one had? The pictures were lovely.

Hark, hark the dogs do bark
    The beggars are coming to town
    Some in rags, some in tags
    And one in a velvet (scarlett?) gown.

Rock a bye baby on the tree top is a bit sinister too isn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't rock a bye baby a moral tale of not leaving your child in precarious situations?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    well.........the king's men were Ok......they tried their best

but it was the kings horses clopping around, not looking where they were gong, kept treading on him.......and of course they weren't much help in the 'putting together' stakes what with them having no hands

It's all that yolk sloshing about.

Or was Humpty hard boiled?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think most nursery rhymes have some historical context/meaning/symbolism.

As a child I had a beautifully illustrated book that I'd look at for hours.

I never quite 'got' this one - I wonder what significance this one had? The pictures were lovely.

Hark, hark the dogs do bark
    The beggars are coming to town
    Some in rags, some in tags
    And one in a velvet (scarlett?) gown.
    http://www.rhymes.org.uk/hark_hark_the_dogs_do_bark.htm

Rock a bye baby on the tree top is a bit sinister too isn't it?
    Rock a bye baby on the tree top, when the wind blows, the cradle will rock. When the bough breaks, the cradle will be safe because the tree has undergone a health and safety assessment.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Humpty dumpty.

Didn't have a Bupa policy.
    Forum Member
    Shappy wrote: »
    Isn't rock a bye baby a moral tale of not leaving your child in precarious situations?

Possibly ........................it must have had an effect on me. I never left my children on a tree top.

I never whipped them all soundly and put them to bed either like the old woman - then again I have never been forced to live in a shoe.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Didn't have a Bupa policy.

That's what you get for letting the Tories sell off the NHS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rock a bye baby

Watch the very first episode of simpsons

The Simpsons Shorts - Good Night - Episode 1: http://youtu.be/E6IsGDQDXOw
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Thank you for that. I can rest easy from now on ..........just one of life's little mysteries solved.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does you garden grow?

^ Is all about Bloody Mary's graveyard of tortured and slain Protestants.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humpty dumpty.

Have you not looked at the origins of the nursery rhymes? You don't realise that they originally weren't written for kids, but were often political. A kind of meme of their day.

Humpty Dumpty is reputed to be a canon used in the English civil war by the Royalists. It was a particularly fearsome weapon. The canon's presence alone would have given the Roundheads cause to fear attacking a castle.

It was placed on the battlements (a wall) and at some point during the battle something occurred that meant the canon fell from its emplacement. Hence the rhyme finishes "All the King's horses and all the Kings men couldn't put Humpty together again." The canon was put out of commission.

So the nursery rhyme has nothing to do with eggs. It was a kind of "You're not singing any more" taunt to the Royalists. But memory fades with time and meanings are lost. So when the rhyme was included in books of children's rhymes it wouldn't have been quite the thing to put a canon in the middle of a children's book. So an illustrator made the choice to show Humpty as something a nursery age child could relate to.... an egg.

Have a look at other rhymes..... Ring a ring o'roses... the plague and the Black Death

Half a Pound of Tuppeny Rice.... corruption in business

The Grand old Duke of York.... incompetence in the military

Sing a Song of Sixpence ..... religious division

Even Baa Baa Black Sheep has a meaning totally lost on the Liberal do-googers worried about political correctness. Read more here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4933345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you not looked at the origins of the nursery rhymes? You don't realise that they originally weren't written for kids, but were often political. A kind of meme of their day.

Humpty Dumpty is reputed to be a canon used in the English civil war by the Royalists. It was a particularly fearsome weapon. The canon's presence alone would have given the Roundheads cause to fear attacking a castle.

It was placed on the battlements (a wall) and at some point during the battle something occurred that meant the canon fell from its emplacement. Hence the rhyme finishes "All the King's horses and all the Kings men couldn't put Humpty together again." The canon was put out of commission.

So the nursery rhyme has nothing to do with eggs. It was a kind of "You're not singing any more" taunt to the Royalists. But memory fades with time and meanings are lost. So when the rhyme was included in books of children's rhymes it wouldn't have been quite the thing to put a canon in the middle of a children's book. So an illustrator made the choice to show Humpty as something a nursery age child could relate to.... an egg.

Have a look at other rhymes..... Ring a ring o'roses... the plague and the Black Death

Half a Pound of Tuppeny Rice.... corruption in business

The Grand old Duke of York.... incompetence in the military

Sing a Song of Sixpence ..... religious division

Even Baa Baa Black Sheep has a meaning totally lost on the Liberal do-googers worried about political correctness. Read more here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4933345

Read more here

the

Liberal do-googers will not be happy until they get their own way and everything is what they say it should be.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry for being picky but cannon is spelt with two n's.

Unless you're suggesting the Royalists fired priests at the enemy?
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original little mermaid killed herself.

The original Cinderella was called 'cinder-****.'

Cinder-sluts sisters had their eyes plucked out by doves on her wedding day

The frog prince wasn't kissed back to human form, he was thrown against a wall.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Sorry for being picky but cannon is spelt with two n's.

Unless you're suggesting the Royalists fired priests at the enemy?
    Well, Cromwell was a God fearing puritan, so maybe the Royalists thought the sight of a Canon in full regalia with scare the begeezus out of him ;)

Or it's a simple typo and too late to change it now........ and let's face it, there's far worse examples in the not so hallowed halls of DS GS :D