In parks: Put your dog on a bloody lead!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,312
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why is it people think it's acceptable to let their dogs run around freely in parks while there are loads of other people about?

I was at a park yesterday and there were dogs running around everywhere. I had at least two run up to me and one try and jump up on me. The owner, assuming that everyone likes her rabid animal, laughed and didn't even apologise.

Why is it that dog owners assume that everyone is comfortable with dogs and doesn't mind them running up to them?

I'm very very scared of dogs (I cross the road if I see one coming) so would really appreciate being able to walk in a park without dogs running around freely. To me, it just seems really selfish - keep your dog under control.

Comments

• Charles ICharles I Posts: 1,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, many Dog owners are quite brainless, nobody really wants to have their balls sniffed as they are trying to have a peaceful walk. I love Dogs as much as the next man but there is no excuse to let them roam like that if they are known to approach people.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why isnt it the dog's fault for not putting their human on a lead man?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    it is not just parks in my town. There are two out in my street.

The other day some loon was cycling on the pavement with a dog without a lead chasing him at his side. An accident waiting to happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we're talking about the sort of parks that kids go to with swings, slides ect then I agree.
    Theres nothing wromg with someone letting their dogs have a run round a field though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, I sympathise with those terrified of dogs, but also with the dogs. Even people who live in towns are allowed to keep dogs, and it seems cruel if they never really get to run about. I must admit that I have never really found it an issue (but of course I am not terrified of dogs); I have never encountered a dog worse than a bit excitable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should also add that there were lots of kids/toddlers running about as well. As a parent I would really fear for my child's safety when there are dogs running around that, in some cases, are bigger than the children.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the dog isn't properly trained and under control I'd agree with you.

However, any dogs that I've had have always been off the lead unless I was near a main road or in a busy pedestrian area.

Well trained dogs will not disturb other people or other dogs when they are out and about.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JoshuaUK wrote: »
    Why is it people think it's acceptable to let their dogs run around freely in parks while there are loads of other people about?

Because dogs need to excersise
    I was at a park yesterday and there were dogs running around everywhere. I had at least two run up to me and one try and jump up on me. The owner, assuming that everyone likes her rabid animal, laughed and didn't even apologise.

That's out of order. They should only let them off around people if they've been trained not to jump up.
    I'm very very scared of dogs (I cross the road if I see one coming) so would really appreciate being able to walk in a park without dogs running around freely. To me, it just seems really selfish - keep your dog under control.

Then perhaps you need to accept that dogs are here to stay and owners aren't going to keep them tied up to suit your fear. You could maybe seek help to overcome your fear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, I sympathise with those terrified of dogs, but also with the dogs. Even people who live in towns are allowed to keep dogs, and it seems cruel if they never really get to run about. I must admit that I have never really found it an issue (but of course I am not terrified of dogs); I have never encountered a dog worse than a bit excitable.

Aren't there fields or other big empty spaces away from the public where dog owners can do this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rmpc77 wrote: »

Then perhaps you need to accept that dogs are here to stay and owners aren't going to keep them tied up to suit your fear. You could maybe seek help to overcome your fear.

I'm not scared of dogs if they're clearly on a lead and under the owners' control. It's when they're running about wildy around the public that I have a problem.

I appreciate dogs need exercise - but think that dog owners need to recognise that not everyone loves their animals and not everyone is a dog-lover.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not scared of dogs if they're clearly on a lead and under the owners' control. It's when they're running about wildy around the public that I have a problem.

I appreciate dogs need exercise - but think that dog owners need to recognise that not everyone loves their animals and not everyone is a dog-lover.

I think most do. If you're that scared that you can't bear to be somewhere that dogs are loose though, I think you need to accept that that is a bit irrational and it's you that has the problem.

I don't mean that in a nasty way, but dog owners aren't going to change their habits to suit you, so you need to be the one who takes action to make it more bearable for yourself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I maintain that it's not much to ask that dogs are kept on leads clearly under control of the owners. Then those who don't appreciate dogs, who have the right to enjoy public places as well, can walk happily.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a dog owner I have to agree OP I avoid places where dogs are running free as mine have to stay on lead and I don't appreciate others dogs running up to mine.
  • rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    As a dog owner I have to agree OP I avoid places where dogs are running free as mine have to stay on lead and I don't appreciate others dogs running up to mine.

I am in the same position as Mollie. I get very nervous when my dog is approached by dogs off of the lead, as he is a rescue dog and sometimes doesn't react well to other dogs approaching him, especially when there is more than one.

I take him out into the fields, where he can run and not bother or be bothered by anybody....I never would allow him to run free where there are other people around
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosemary wrote: »
    I am in the same position as Mollie. I get very nervous when my dog is approached by dogs off of the lead, as he is a rescue dog and sometimes doesn't react well to other dogs approaching him, especially when there is more than one.

I take him out into the fields, where he can run and not bother or be bothered by anybody....I never would allow him to run free where there are other people around

You sound like a very responsibile dog owner, I wish more were like you! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You sound like a very responsibile dog owner, I wish more were like you! :)

There are a lot of us you just never notice us as we are hiding in woods and walking in fields where no one can see us :D
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't a major problem for most dogs to be trained to an acceptable off lead standard or at least have them recall and popped on a lead if people are around. Failing that, keep the dog under control with a long line or, if that is still not enough control, a short lead.

( Baring those odd moments when even the best trained dog sees fit to embarrass their owner off course - the correct response to which is off course to apologise profusely)

Unfortunately there are some owners who for reasons best known to themselves (probably willful ignorance) refuse to train or control their dogs at all. Like some cyclists think all footpaths are their own private velodrome and some parents think their children should be able to molest any dog even if on lead.

We all share these open spaces and we all have to rub along. A little tolerance goes a long way from all quarters. Some dogs are not under proper control, but it is rare that any do significant harm and if they do, there is redress for it. Some cyclists and joggers are rude and ignorant but again rarely do harm. Some children should be kept away from dogs no matter how much they love them but again, rarely is any real harm done.

If we complain too much about other people in the parks, we'll all get banned and only ramblers and pensioners will be allowed to use them!!!
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    rosemary wrote: »

I agree too, I have taught my labrador not to approach others and especially dogs that are on a lead. He does run free but he is under control and is never a problem, well, unless people are carrying treats.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't a major problem for most dogs to be trained to an acceptable off lead standard or at least have them recall and popped on a lead if people are around. Failing that, keep the dog under control with a long line or, if that is still not enough control, a short lead.

I've never understood why more people don't use these in parks or wide open public spaces....it seems this would let the dogs have more freedom and allow the owners to pull them in if people are near.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Well said SM. I frequently walk on my local beach and around half the dogs I meet are poorly trained, will not come to recall and routinely jump up and/or growl and bark at other beach users. I really do NOT want to be jumped on by someone's wet muddy dog:mad: Needless to say the owners never apologise or even acknowledge anything has happened. We had dogs as a child and I have never been afraid of them, but the more of these hounds I meet the more wary I become. It's great seeing a well trained dog with its owner, just wish there were more of them!
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I walk my daughters dogs down the fields and let them loose. As soon as anyone comes near enough, with or without their own dogs/children, the dogs are told to stay. Bless'em, they freeze until their leads are on. They are lovely pooches and love children, but all the same....
  • waldopepperwaldopepper Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    I've never understood why more people don't use these in parks or wide open public spaces....it seems this would let the dogs have more freedom and allow the owners to pull them in if people are near.
    Because they're a pain in the ass if your dog is running around and circling you and others jump over it like you're all at a skipping competition!

I wouldn't let my even go near anyone unless they expressed interest in him and didn't look frightened. If I couldn't stop him doing this or retrieve him by voice commands then I wouldn't let him off the lead in the first place. Many dog owners can't control their dogs and therefore shouldn't let them off the lead, but don't lump us all together and say that all dogs should be on leads! There are many many responsible dog owners out there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    My small dogs are pretty good and will come back most of the time. However, Alfie on the odd occasion will cock his head and think that he recognises the person approaching him which can be a bit of a nightmare:eek: On the rare occasion this happens he doesnt jump up them just sits by their feet looking at them as if to say you know me!!

As for fear im more scared of the collection of teenagers sat on the childrens apparatus drinking like theres no tomorrow and swearing and shouting obscenities and nonbody seems to do much about it.

The most my dogs would do is lick you to death and if I wasnt sure of that then they would be kept on their lead.
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should be made law that dogs are on a lead,i have a 26ft lead that does the job just fine.People that dont put dogs on a lead are just as bad as those that dont clean up crap after them imo.:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they're a pain in the ass if your dog is running around and circling you and others jump over it like you're all at a skipping competition

And just try it with two dogs - :eek::D