My Dog had Bloat and Gastropexy

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As some on here know my dog had emergency surgery for twisted gut 3 weeks ago.

He had a gastropexy (stomach stiched to the abdominal wall) at the same time.

He's had a great recovery.

The vet has been good and is happy with him, he's advised to keep him on a restricted diet for another week.

I just wondered if anyone elses dog had been through the same and what was the recovery like.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry not been through it so can't help there but just wanted to thanks for the update and I'm glad that your dog is recovering well. Don't worry those in the know will be along soon wih words of encouragement :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I am just glad to hear he is recovering so well and think he is a very lucking doggie :) Bloat can kill in such a very short space of time. It is good you noticed and got to the Vets pronto.

I am sure if I had a large/deep chested breed it is something I would worry about a great deal and I worry enough about my dog as it is now!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks both of you. I'll see if I can get a photo of him tomorrow.

He's a lot slimmer than he was:).
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am just glad to hear he is recovering so well and think he is a very lucking doggie :) Bloat can kill in such a very short space of time. It is good you noticed and got to the Vets pronto.

I am sure if I had a large/deep chested breed it is something I would worry about a great deal and I worry enough about my dog as it is now!!!

I'm so pleased the operation went well for your dog, as it's an awful condition and can be fatal.

We have three Basset Hounds and my family have had them all our lives... including several rehomes as well as pups. One thing I remember being warned about with long dogs like Bassets, or deep chested dogs, is to never feed them until at least an hour before or an hour after walking and don't let them drink large amounts of water immediately after feeding something like IAMS, Eukanuba or any dry foods as this can cause bloat. Presumably the feeding/walking time that also applies to all dogs.