What are you reading at the moment? (Part 3)

Comments

• GirlfromEireannGirlfromEireann Posts: 4,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The Somnambulist" Essie Fox.

It is very good.

Then I am going to move onto "Small Island" by Andrea Levy
  • PuddleduckPuddleduck Posts: 1,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I read that recently, nice, light-hearted fun. Apparently Kenneth Branagh is making a film of it starring Kate Winslet
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Juggernaut by Adam Baker
  • KitKat21KitKat21 Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished Phantom by Jo Nesbo - don't want to spoil it but will just say :eek:

Now reading Camilla Lackberg's The Drowning.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppycat wrote: »
    Started reading 'Elsewhere' by Gabrielle Zevin last night and am about a quarter way through it.

Really enjoyable so far, it's about a 15 year old girl called Liz who dies in an accident and goes off to the afterlife, a place called 'elsewhere' where you age backwards and once you become a baby again you get sent back to earth to be born again.

It's quite a unique book and sort of along the lines of The Lovely Bones but more straightforward, I think.

That sounds good, I have added it to my Amazon wishlist!
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I left my copy of The Plague on the bus so went on to The Old Man and The Sea by Hemingway which was lovely, very reminiscent of Kipling I thought.

Anyway just downloaded a digital copy of the plague to finish the last 40 pages or so.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished Spies (I didn't 100% understand it, I hate it when that happens :cry:)

Just starting Human Croquet by Kate Atkinson - love her books!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now onto "Afterwards" By Rosamund Lupton. So far finding it FAR superior to Sister, her first novel, and I quite enjoyed that. Am REALLY enjoying this one.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished Steve Jobs and onto The Girl Who Played With Fire. I'm around 10% through and finding it painfully slow (more so than the first) I hope it starts to pick up the pace soon...
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Dance with Dragons - George R R Martin - as good as all the others:)
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished Phantom by Jo Nesbo - and it's brilliant. my favourite Harry Hole book, and i've read them all! You'd think after a while that you get the hang of his style of writing, and I thought I'd got it all worked out but then he pulled the carpet out from under my feet with the last 1/3 of the book! Really really enjoyed it!
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Cold Kill" by Neil White, recommended by someone on here:D Very good actually!:D
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The End Of Faith - Sam Harris
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just finished Lover Reborn by JR Ward. The Black Dagger Brotherhood is one of my favourite series but I absolutely hated this one with a vengeance. The only reason I carried on until the end was because one of the connecting plots held some interest.
  • snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,079
    Forum Member
    I've just finished Phantom by Jo Nesbo - and it's brilliant. my favourite Harry Hole book, and i've read them all! You'd think after a while that you get the hang of his style of writing, and I thought I'd got it all worked out but then he pulled the carpet out from under my feet with the last 1/3 of the book! Really really enjoyed it!

me too:cool::cool::cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    That sounds good, I have added it to my Amazon wishlist!

Finished 'Elsewhere' last night, really enjoyable and sweet story. It's aimed at teenagers but I still liked it despite being an old fogey in comparison!!
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Now onto "Afterwards" By Rosamund Lupton. So far finding it FAR superior to Sister, her first novel, and I quite enjoyed that. Am REALLY enjoying this one.

It is much, much better than Sister. I liked Sister until the weird ending, but Afterwards is a class above and a fabulous read.
    kate36 wrote: »
    "Cold Kill" by Neil White, recommended by someone on here:D Very good actually!:D

Won't take the credit for that as it's been mentioned here quite a few times I think! Now you need to do what I did and go back to the first in the series, Fallen Idols. Also a pretty good story. I've still got all the ones inbetween to catch up with though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppycat wrote: »
    It is much, much better than Sister. I liked Sister until the weird ending, but Afterwards is a class above and a fabulous read.

I've finished it now and only just finished crying :(
    It was brilliant though, far superior to Sister which as you say had a pants ending.

Now I have just started Revenge of The Tide - Elizabeth Haynes. Hope its as good as HER first, Into the Darkest Corner, which was fab.
  • girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puddleduck wrote: »
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Loved this!
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Stranger by Camilla Lackberg....so far, so good.
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm now reading 'The Little Drummer Girl' by John le Carre. Only just started, pretty good so far but i gather the beginning is a bit of a slow burner! Intrigued by the premise though so will carry on...
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Jane Harris - Gillespie and I
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    Guilty Wives - James Patterson and David Ellis
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Just started Ship of Destiny by Robin Hobb, the last part in the Liveships Trilogy.

Really enjoying the Liveship books, however just wish I'd read them before I read The Tawny Man books!
This discussion has been closed.