DWTS: Season 18 General Discussion

Comments

• memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Memmh that was my thought too, shame because Emma, stood out for me last season. She hopefully will do better when they rejig the partnerships, with a bit of luck.
    BIB^^^ I really hope so, Karma Ardent. And thank you for posting all those pics for us :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,123
    Forum Member
    memmh wrote: »
    BIB^^^ I really hope so, Karma Ardent. And thank you for posting all those pics for us :D

You're more than welcome memmh.

I'm trying to get into the spirit of DWTS, hoping to connect with this seasons celebs, but was more interested to see which of the pros were back:D Wonder what lies in store for us this season, if they will edge back towards more ballroom dances, rather than veering SYTYCD style as previously.
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Video of the cast intros and meeting up with their pros. (longer version of the one Karma posted earlier)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're more than welcome memmh.

I'm trying to get into the spirit of DWTS, hoping to connect with this seasons celebs, but was more interested to see which of the pros were back:D Wonder what lies in store for us this season, if they will edge back towards more ballroom dances, rather than veering SYTYCD style as previously.

BIB - Yes, me too. My interest petered out last time...:(.

Shame Emma couldn't have had a different type of partner, though I'm really glad Sharna has a shot with Charlie (unless they take him away from her :().

Peta plus a hottie; same old, same old. Zzzzzzz....

I now recognise(-ish) Winnie from the Golden Years and (very vaguely) the host from Whose Line is it Anyway?

NeNe's teeth could light up the night sky!!

Derek's partner is presumably out in Sochi for a couple of weeks - wonder when she'll start training?! She looks to have some personality. This is from an online profile (her wiki entry describes her as an actress and snowboarder):

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1933191-amy-purdy-profile-of-us-snowboarding-paralympian-for-sochi-2014

Amy Purdy started snowboarding as an able-bodied teenager and dreamed of a career in the sport. But when she contracted bacterial meningitis at age 19 and lost her spleen, kidneys and both legs below the knees, that dream seemed in jeopardy. However, she taught herself how to snowboard again and became a three-time World Cup gold medalist in adaptive snowboarding with her prosthetic legs.

Athletic Profile: Purdy, 34, has been the preeminent performer in her sport. She has been the top-ranked adaptive snowboarder in the world since 2011. Her creativity and success on the mountain has had a lot to do with making snowboard cross an official event in the Paralympics.
    Crikey!

Artem and troupe doing a little dance :) and a bit more at 0.40
  • fabulistfabulist Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nooo maks is back :x Look forward to him giving an Olympic gold medalist such choreography classics as waiting until 10 seconds into the music before starting to dance and filling the last 20 seconds with a casual stroll around the floor and onto a chair. Lets hope she doesn't develop stockholm syndrome like his partners usually do too.

Potential season highlight = The awful Tony with Nene Leakes. Have a feeling it's going to be hard work for both of them!
    Forum Member
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    BIB - Yes, me too. My interest petered out last time...:(.

Shame Emma couldn't have had a different type of partner, though I'm really glad Sharna has a shot with Charlie (unless they take him away from her :().

Peta plus a hottie; same old, same old. Zzzzzzz....

I now recognise(-ish) Winnie from the Golden Years and (very vaguely) the host from Whose Line is it Anyway?

NeNe's teeth could light up the night sky!!

Derek's partner is presumably out in Sochi for a couple of weeks - wonder when she'll start training?! She looks to have some personality. This is from an online profile (her wiki entry describes her as an actress and snowboarder):

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1933191-amy-purdy-profile-of-us-snowboarding-paralympian-for-sochi-2014

Amy Purdy started snowboarding as an able-bodied teenager and dreamed of a career in the sport. But when she contracted bacterial meningitis at age 19 and lost her spleen, kidneys and both legs below the knees, that dream seemed in jeopardy. However, she taught herself how to snowboard again and became a three-time World Cup gold medalist in adaptive snowboarding with her prosthetic legs.

Athletic Profile: Purdy, 34, has been the preeminent performer in her sport. She has been the top-ranked adaptive snowboarder in the world since 2011. Her creativity and success on the mountain has had a lot to do with making snowboard cross an official event in the Paralympics.
    Crikey!

Artem and troupe doing a little dance :) and a bit more at 0.40

Yes hopefully Sharna can stay in a lot longer this time.

Thanks for the links Soupy, hopefully we will get more than a fleeting glance or two of Arty as the show progresses.:kitty:

Amy sounds an interesting contestant by the sounds of it, think Derek will be the right partner for her.
    Forum Member
    fabulist wrote: »
    Nooo maks is back :x Look forward to him giving an Olympic gold medalist such choreography classics as waiting until 10 seconds into the music before starting to dance and filling the last 20 seconds with a casual stroll around the floor and onto a chair. Lets hope she doesn't develop stockholm syndrome like his partners usually do too.

Potential season highlight = The awful Tony with Nene Leakes. Have a feeling it's going to be hard work for both of them!

Ha ha fabulist, too funny, you have Maks' choreography down to a tee. The only time he remotely upped his game, was with Mel B. Let's hope his partner will make him pull his socks up.

With the twist, I would like to see him swopped with NeNe, not that I know anything about her, but hope she may give as good as she gets!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the ABC site:

This season’s dynamic lineup of stars -- including two Olympic Gold Medalists, a game show host, a swimming legend and a teen pop star -- will perform for the first time on live national television with their professional partners during the two-hour season premiere of “Dancing with the Stars,” MONDAY, MARCH 17 (8:00-10:01 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network. In a first for “Dancing with the Stars,” the competition will feature a new game-changing twist called “The Switch Up.” This season, America will be given the power to vote and change celebrities and professional dance pairings. This new rule will affect all couples as they will be required to switch partners at a point in the season. Never before have dance partnerships been split up during the course of competition.

It's not really clear if the Switch Up (or Stitch Up for some, perhaps :p) is permanent or just for one show. I'd imagine just a one-off... Interesting that they all have to change. That start date is less than 2 weeks away. Has rehearsal time always been this short?:confused: I hope Amy can focus on two things at once. Gulp!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha ha fabulist, too funny, you have Maks' choreography down to a tee. The only time he remotely upped his game, was with Mel B. Let's hope his partner will make him pull his socks up.

With the twist, I would like to see him swopped with NeNe, not that I know anything about her, but hope she may give as good as she gets!!!

BIB - or give him some lessons...

NeNe looks like a handful :D.

Profiles of the cast (ABC)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I now recognise(-ish) Winnie from the Golden Years

I mean the Wonder Years, of course :blush: :kitty:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dancing-stars-season-18-cast-amy-purdy-nene-leakes-685697 article claiming the Switch is for one week only (after they're all settled in and comfortable :D).
    Forum Member
    BIB - or give him some lessons...

NeNe looks like a handful :D.

Profiles of the cast (ABC)

Ha ha Soupy, lessons it is.

NeNe could be entertaining.:kitty:
    Forum Member
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dancing-stars-season-18-cast-amy-purdy-nene-leakes-685697 article claiming the Switch is for one week only (after they're all settled in and comfortable :D).

So not a permanent thing then, that would have been much more fun imo. Bit of a damp squib then really. Not much of a twist more of a slight kink.:p
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supporting Nene Leakes.

<333

Think Cody Simpson will win though.
  • fabulistfabulist Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Americans love their Olympians. Add in the best female dancer (sharna) and I can see Charlie doing well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alas, from Tristan's blog it sounds like they shafted him, that they'd promised him he'd know in advance if he had anything to worry about. Yet they blindsided him by excluding him just days before the announcement?

From the way he expressed it, he sounded like he is done with DWTS (or they with him). Absolutely mind-boggling and very, very disappointing.
    Statement From Tristan - March 4, 2014

"Thanks very much for the messages and the support. I have seen how vocal everyone has been the last few days over the rumors (I still can never understand where they come from - and the accuracy?!) but I obviously wasn’t in a position to comment as the surprise reveal was this morning. I am very moved by everyone’s kindness and unwavering support. Unfortunately or fortunately that’s just the way it goes sometimes! I was surprised but not shocked. I understand that the show is always evolving, and the only thing constant is change in any field but after hearing for so long that I would be told if I have anything to worry about that I would know in advance, then yes I was a little surprised. It is what it is, and no matter what the show goes on.

The reasons I don’t know and never will but either way it doesn’t change a thing. You are in or you are out and it’s as simple as that. I can’t complain as every season that I have been included somebody else has missed out, so I wish everyone involved all the best of luck in the world. I have enjoyed my time on DWTS but I do think that this is the best thing for me. I sometimes need the kick up the arse to get what I really want to do done, and as always that will come when it comes, and you will know about it then. For now it’s a case of just making it happen. I have had three years on DWTS now and I am looking forward to the next chapter. The show didn’t end the way I would have wanted it to for me, but I was very lucky to be a part of the show at all.

Again, thank you all for the concern but honest to God I am grand, everything is great, and there will be no looking back for me. The missus is great, the dog is great, I’m great, and I’m straight back to teaching now anyway, just not on your tv. It just means that I can savage through St. Paddy’s day without worrying about working that day. Haha."

Slan libh

--Tristan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maks reportedly didn't agree to come back until February 26, the same day DWTSGossip tweeted the pro list that included Tristan. At the time, Kristyn Burtt reported she couldn't confirm Derek one way or the other.

Early the next morning, it was reported that Derek was IN and Tristan was OUT.

DWTSGossip said her source told her to wait until tomorrow. "I guess I should have listened."

Is it possible that Maks demanded Derek's partner as a condition of returning--as he reportedly did in the past--and TPTB took Meryl away from Derek and gave her to Maks? And that rather than lose Derek altogether they decided to switch and give the double amputee to Derek?

The only other explanation I can think of is that whoever was meant to be paired with Tristan was passed over in favor of a different celebrity.
  • Lili27Lili27 Posts: 2,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. Just wow. I had thought that perhaps Tristan's partner had pulled out at the last minute and they did not have enough spots so I am glad to have a little more clarity. I don't know why the sudden inclusion of Derek after they had him listed as out for the season. Whatever, it sounds like some dirty dealings. It breaks my heart that a wonderful pro like Tristan does not appear to be of much value to the DWTS decision makers. That's show business for ya'.

It would be incredible if Tristan ever got a spot on SCD. I was never upset that Artem was chosen for SCD instead of DWTS because I felt that was the absolute best opportunity for a pro and was happy for him. I was happy for Pasha too.

The TPTB must feel Maks is a huge ratings draw. For me personally except for his season with Mel (who humbled him in my opinion) I have a hard enjoying him.

I really thought Henry might get Candace and instead she goes to Mark. I was looking forward to seeing how he would do as a pro but I think he will be out quite early. But Diana Nyad is a determined lady so....I am disappointed for Emma also because I loved her choreography and the way she works with a partner. I thought she would be interesting with a young partner.

For me personally the only couple I can generate any interest in is Charlie and Sharna. His lifts in his ice dance routine were beautiful, he had a lot of emotion when he skated seemed like such a great lead for Meryl. I hope he can transfer those skills to the parquet floor. Of course I will have to see what his personality is like also. He might not be likeable or boring.

Otherwise other than the few snippets of Artem this season it does not feel like an enjoyable season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lili27 wrote: »

It would be incredible if Tristan ever got a spot on SCD.

I read Tristan tried out for Strictly and was rejected, so he then went to DWTS, where he was originally hired for the troupe. But yes, if he's done with DWTS then I'd like to see him on SCD.

Since he said he wants to return to Australia in a few years, maybe the best spot for him would be DWTS Australia.

Such a loss. :( He said he doesn't know the reason, so maybe he didn't know who they planned to pair him with, or anything about the other pairings. That's in line what other pros have said over the years; they are the last to know.

P.S. Charlie is a very likable fellow and could win the whole thing.
  • kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read Tristan tried out for Strictly and was rejected,
    so he then went to DWTS, where he was originally hired for the troupe. But yes, if he's done with DWTS then I'd like to see him on SCD.

Since he said he wants to return to Australia in a few years, maybe the best spot for him would be DWTS Australia.

Such a loss. :( He said he doesn't know the reason, so maybe he didn't know who they planned to pair him with, or anything about the other pairings. That's in line what other pros have said over the years; they are the last to know.

P.S. Charlie is a very likable fellow and could win the whole thing.

He did the same year as Artem & Robin but other pros tried out before they got a position on SCD so hopefully that won't put him off, prefer Tristan to Maks & would have loved to seen what Tristan could have done with a contender. Henry seems to be the new Tristan as does poor Emma who deserved to get a contender at least SCD normally tries to share contenders out.

I not sure whether Meryl was ever Derek's partner tbh because if she had of requested him as part of being on the show like others did in the past then she would be partnered with Derek no matter what even if Maks wanted to Derek's partner or not. Meryl and Maks doesn't suit each other in height and she would look better with other pros. Think the problem is that Meryl & Derek worked together before and unfortunately for Meryl Maks is a completely different type of teacher than Derek.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might try watching this, I haven't seen it before is it much different from SCD?