Are developers too focused on online play

HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
Forum Member
✭✭
It seem nowadays online is a must for a game with more and more focus been placed on the online portion of games, often at the detriment to the single player campaign. But are developers right to focus on what seem a small percentage of console users?

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/11/microsoft-xbox-live-gold-subscribers-use-service-3-hours-per-da/
More than half of Xbox Live's 25 million users are paying subscribers, which means that over 12 million players make use of the service's online multiplayer and non-gaming offerings

So Microsoft claim to have sold 45million 360 consoles and yet less then 30% of their user base actually play online on the console, I would assume the number is about the same for PS3 online users as well.

So should developers focus on the single player portion of games more than they currently are.

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont want to start anything here but possibly 1/4 or so of those 360 figures are to replace RROD consoles, so its possibly a greater percentage of actual owners ARE actually online.

ps. I know folk have replaced PS3s for same reason.

Online is where it's at this gen. Everyone I know wants to play online against REAL people, instead of spawn at same point over and over ai. I mean I havent touched single player campaign in Blops yet. I was straight online with it.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Multiplayer has been 99.9999% of my gaming time for the last 12 years.

Single player games do nothing for me, its pretty much just the same old routine in every game, might as well just buy a movie and watch it a few times.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    I mean I havent touched single player campaign in Blops yet. I was straight online with it.

I was more thinking games like Assassins Creed, Bioshock and Dead Space which seem crowbarred in online play and in respect to Bioshock failed miserably (Only time will tell with the other two).

As much as I enjoy online, and had I bought Blops I would probably just straight into the online, I do still enjoy a good single player game and often feel disappointed when online play is added were it really isn't necessary.
    I dont want to start anything here but possibly 1/4 or so of those 360 figures are to replace RROD consoles, so its possibly a greater percentage of actual owners ARE actually online.

Good point, at least some of the claim 45million will be dead RROD or banned consoles which would make the percentage higher. I was just shocked at how few people actually value online, with the way online/LIVE is talked about I was expecting a much higher percentage.
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer online gaming when it comes to FPS games. I imagine most people do, I can't imagine the success of Call of Duty was down to the single player exerience.

In saying that there's not really any other game genres that have shifted their focus to the extent that FPS games have.

Now RPGs and adventure games, if they started focusing more on the online aspect then I would be annoyed!
  • HypnosHypnos Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ive said it many a time, there just isnt any denying that a good percentage of 360 sales must have come from replacments. 2 purchashed myslef.
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I was more thinking games like Assassins Creed, Bioshock and Dead Space which seem crowbarred in online play and in respect to Bioshock failed miserably (Only time will tell with the other two).

Yeah, this sort of stuff does my nut in, I mean AC: Brotherhoods multiplayer looks like something different, but I expect the great majority wont stick with it for too long.
  • LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much prefer story to dealing with 12 year old screamers (who are always better than me!).

Alan Wake is my game of the decade because of the incredible writing and dialogue. Singularity was a highly underrated SP FPS, and all the other games I love are SP centric only as well - Fallout, STALKER.etc
  • HypnosHypnos Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leeham wrote: »
    I much prefer story to dealing with 12 year old screamers (who are always better than me!)

I think some games are just more suited to multiplayer, such as cod and halo. The kids are bad enough on there!

I enjoy playing games like Bioshock and AC and taking a break from multiplayer gaming, but its seems developers are intent on us being called n00bs and **** by 8yr old yanks in every game these days.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    I detest, abhor, and generally despise on-line gaming. If all on-line gaming ceased tomorrow I wouldn't miss a thing.

Regards

Mark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I tend to ppick on the kids - not many BTW when I play online with UC2
  • JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's bad for my dad because he buys PC games, like MoH and CoD for 30 quid or whatever they are now, and the campaigns are ridiculously short. Alot of focus is put on the multiplayer, which is a good thing, but it's bad that they've took focus away from SP.
  • Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,704
    Forum Member
    Mark A wrote: »
    I detest, abhor, and generally despise on-line gaming. If all on-line gaming ceased tomorrow I wouldn't miss a thing.

Regards

Mark

I'm with you there. I used to enjoy playing online back in 2000/2002 on my old Dreamcast but back then you didn't have all the idiots that are there now. Besides, I don't have the time to spend 24/7 getting god-like just to play against 12 yr old kids.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's almost as bad is the piss-poor standard of offline multiplayer.

Me and my mate put hours into Resident Evil 5 and World At War Zombies in offline co-op, but they used some absolutely terrible screen division. In both of the games you only got like a quarter of the screen each, and this is with two players!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it pisses me off these days that games are focused on online play. I'm NOT an online player i prefer the campaigns and single player tasks.

The fact that the focus is on the online play means that the single player modes are down to a minimum and can be completed within a day. I remember the days it would take atleast a week to complete a game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like a bit of both. Sometimes I cannot be bothered dealing with competitive dicks online who suck all the FUN out of online gaming. Online i would rather play co-op (Left 4 dead, RDR, BC2 -Onslaught).

It really annoys me that games are marketed at such a high price and only have a 5 hour single player campaign. 'Yeeeeh but it's all about the multiplayer' is the answer that comes back. Newsflash! not everybody has an internet connection, not everybody wants to play online and why do the multi million pound adverts advertise the game with single player campaign footage? £40.00 for 5 hours gameplay. Bargain!

Developers need to look at the likes of The Orange Box which provides a ton of single play gameplay and a great FUN standalone multiplayer game seperate from the main campaigns.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much prefer playing offline campaigns, or sometimes a split-screen two player with friends. Only games I play online are MMORPG's on the PC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love online gaming. Infact every game i purchase i look into the MP more than i do the SP.

Maybe developers are focused on online play... but with good reason as its bloody popular.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The biggest problem with focusing on multiplayer is that online communities are fickle. As soon as something else comes along the current game du jour is rendered less than obsolete, but absolutely useless.

Does anyone still play Shadowrun on the PC or 360 anymore? That one was multiplayer only.

Unless the multiplayer is something EXCEPTIONAL you're stuffed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I find even if you are not very good you can do quite well on Uncharted 2 multiplayer, and it is brilliant fun
  • sickparrotsickparrot Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably, I would never buy a game that was primarily aimed at the online community, I want it to be challenging and value for money off-line.

I play online, but only Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2 on the PC, there are still communities for both and it's a fun blast for a couple of hours, but they are also OK against the computer AI.

I have a 360 and lots of games but never play online with that, the community just doesn't appeal to me, I activated my 1 month gold trial a few months ago to download an update and a few demos, tested the online play with GTA4 for 5 minutes, then never used it again until it lapsed.
  • SiebenburgenSiebenburgen Posts: 3,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Games for the most part are suffering due to focusing on the online side of gaming. If they want to make a game that appeals to online gamers then do so. Just don't make the single player mode suffer because of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me online gaming is a must have, even if it's just a co-op option or deathmatch. It saves me and 3 friends getting a quarter of the screen each and shouting 'Hey stop looking at my screen! Cheat!' endlessly. Must admit though MP games like MW2, BF:BC2 and Phantasy Star are a very addictive style of online play and I for one are extremely glad we are lucky enough to be able to switch on a games console, load up a game, select multiplayer, find a game and be against someone half way around the world in a matter of 60 seconds - astounding.

As for single player. This will never die. There will always be great game experiences that we can enjoy on our own without an aggressive yank shouting in our ear. So I hope both SP and MP aspects are taken into consideration by developers.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do get a bit careful when a review heaps praise about online yet forgets the more than a quick
    summary of the single player....