Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• suez_channelsuez_channel Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    In the clips shown, I've seen Karl Pilkington as the Coach driver for the residents.

Can those in the know tell us, is Karl Pilkington a fake persona played by someone else?
    Or is he a real person who didn't start as an Actor? He seemed to be quite a capable, confident TV actor in the 'Derek' clips
  • CrimsonmonCrimsonmon Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can those in the know tell us, is Karl Pilkington a fake persona played by someone else?
    Or is he a real person who didn't start as an Actor? He seemed to be quite a capable, confident TV actor in the 'Derek' clips

He was the producer given to Ricky and Steve when the returned to their XFM radio show after doing The Office. They realized he thought a bit differently not long into their return and eventually started incorporating him into the show more, which let to the podcasts after leaving the station and what not.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the thread title 'Ricky Gervais New Comedy' makes a massive assumption that there was an old comedy.
    I saw the clip last night. Yawn. Nothing to do with being PC - couldn't give a hoot about that. It's just not funny, simply one comedian who hit lucky once indulging himself with more of the same.
    Yeah, and it's his cat.
    and popping up on game shows and then finally 'going in to the jungle.'

You seem to like this thread, such a shame you won't be watching - make sure to check back here for our critique of the pilot. :D

BIB - You do realise RG has earned well over £20million from his writing credits, tours, dvds and syndication deals? He picks and choose his tv/film roles, like him or not he's one of the most successful screenwriters in the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I know Ricky isn't everyones cup of tea, and that's why I started a thread before this one entitled "Calling All Ricky Gervais And Karl Pilkington Fans !", I hoped it would avoid bickering, by specifically being addressed to fans.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1647872&highlight=

:o
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks absolutely awful. It's hard to put Gervais at the Golden Globes, The Office and Extras in to the same circle as Life's Too Short and Derek.

It just looks really... bad. That expression he constantly pulls doesn't help either. It looks like Gervais acting like a mong, rather than... an actual television programme.

In Extras I thought the point was that When the Whistle Blows was a terrible out dated comedy and that Gervais was producing far better stuff. I suspect that WtWB would be better than a lot what Gervais has come up with since then.
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    You seem to like this thread, such a shame you won't be watching - make sure to check back here for our critique of the pilot. :D

BIB - You do realise RG has earned well over £20million from his writing credits, tours, dvds and syndication deals? He picks and choose his tv/film roles, like him or not he's one of the most successful screenwriters in the UK.

Will do! Not sure what point you're making about his earning capability. I'm sure Kerry Katona has made millions, but...!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Will do! Not sure what point you're making about his earning capability. I'm sure Kerry Katona has made millions, but...!

Don't think Ms Katona is worth even a fraction of what Ricky is, plus she's not got a fraction of his intelligence or talent !

Can't see her being invited to host the Golden Globes or appear in films, so she's not really a good comparison.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hate the whole 'face and hair' thing. It's insulting and embarrassing IMO
  • GravitasGravitas Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was half listening to Bacon's tv reviews on radio 5 today - they seemed to like it. Could it be a bit "ground breaking"?

The down market tabloid tv critics really hate Gervais with a vengeance and when they are not watching and writing about crap tv they are having a go at him.

The man at the MoS gave it a good write up and FOUR stars.
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barb Ablar wrote: »
    Don't think Ms Katona is worth even a fraction of what Ricky is, plus she's not got a fraction of his intelligence or talent !

Can't see her being invited to host the Golden Globes or appear in films, so she's not really a good comparison.

My point was that the other poster was saying Gervais should be judged by how much money he has made.
  • JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to dislike Gervais.
    But that was before Pilkington came along. Now I've someone I dislike more.
    2 T's in a pod!
  • GravitasGravitas Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoLuc wrote: »
    I used to dislike Gervais.
    But that was before Pilkington came along. Now I've someone I dislike more.
    2 T's in a pod!

Double the hate eh. It's all good. :D
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I know what you mean about that expression on his face.

People have been saying that Derek will be a comedy drama and not a sitcom, and that's kind of the problem.
    If this is a comedy drama as opposed to a sitcom then that 'ape brain' face he's pulling looks like it could be a problem.
    If it's a sitcom then fine, you could probably get away with it, but if it's a comedy drama which is usually supposed to be a bit closer to reality I can't see how that stupid face he's pulling is going to work. I just can't imagine me taking him seriously as a real character if he's doing that.

I'll give it a go as I tend to like the things he has done so far in varying degrees.
    From the trailers I thought the exact same. Not sure why he feels the need to put on that face.

Saying that though, Billy Bob Thornton got praise for doing similar.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I'll give this a go as I was a fan of The Office and Extras. Think people need to give it a chance instead of judging it on just the adverts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    All the reviews so far seem to be quite good, which is unusual given the whole 'is he bullying the diabled' thing. Loads of sitcoms feature characters that are probably autistic, how come they're only complaining when Ricky Gervais does it? Hmmm...
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gravitas wrote: »
    I was half listening to Bacon's tv reviews on radio 5 today - they seemed to like it. Could it be a bit "ground breaking"?

I heard Bacon's show and the three guests and Bacon all loved it.

However on Radio 4 Front Row Mark Lawson and his guest both disliked it, not because of any worry about bad taste, but they said that for a comedy drama it was neither funny nor dramatic.

So it seems as if we are going to have the now usual split opinion about post-Extras Gervais.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gravitas wrote: »

The down market tabloid tv critics really hate Gervais with a vengeance and when they are not watching and writing about crap tv they are having a go at him.

I think this post may have a touch of the "in crowd" about it. What are "bacon's tv reviews" , and what is MoS?
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the reviews so far seem to be quite good, which is unusual given the whole 'is he bullying the diabled' thing. Loads of sitcoms feature characters that are probably autistic, how come they're only complaining when Ricky Gervais does it? Hmmm...

I think that some people find themselves unable to relate on the level they might relate to someone portraying say, Adrian Mole, Mr Pooter or Frank Spencer, even with Alan Partridge you may feel something approaching empathy. In the trailers I found Derek an alienating persona, but I will watch and hope to change my mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    jamtamara wrote: »
    I think that some people find themselves unable to relate on the level they might relate to someone portraying say, Adrian Mole, Mr Pooter or Frank Spencer, even with Alan Partridge you may feel something approaching empathy. In the trailers I found Derek an alienating persona, but I will watch and hope to change my mind.

I don't entirely understand your response. But my point was more that shows like Big Bang Theory and Community use Aspeger's for laughs but nobody complains. Whether that's because people aren't aware of Asperger's or they simply don't care or maybe even it's just an anti-Gervais campaign I don't know, I just think if you complain about one you should complain about them all. (I watch and enjoy both Community and BBT, even though I have Asperger's)...
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't entirely understand your response. But my point was more that shows like Big Bang Theory and Community use Aspeger's for laughs but nobody complains. Whether that's because people aren't aware of Asperger's or they simply don't care or maybe even it's just an anti-Gervais campaign I don't know, I just think if you complain about one you should complain about them all. (I watch and enjoy both Community and BBT, even though I have Asperger's)...

I meant that people can relate to someone portraying characters who may display aspects of Asperger's, and a comedy including that theme. All comedy drama is not the same, so one such programme may appeal while another may not.

Adrian Mole, for example, had some autistic traits, at least in my opinion. The novel was made into a television comedy/drama. Many people enjoyed this and other programmes as you rightly say.

I wouldn't want to ban all programmes exploring this theme and have no agenda against Ricky. I am interested in his ideas, but feel his way of portraying such themes may alienate some people.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I think this post may have a touch of the "in crowd" about it. What are "bacon's tv reviews" , and what is MoS?

Richard Bacon on Radio 5 live I'm guessing.
    MoS, again guessing Mail on Sunday, 'write up'.

I won't be watching, unless I stumble across it.
    Just thought I'd see how irate people can get about Gervais, because other people are into him and sing his praises.
    Found the Pilkington show a bit too much like bullying for me, comedy persona or not, felt like mocking the afflicted for me.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I lasted 3 episodes of Life's Too Short. I watched the two series of Extras but still haven't got around to watching the special. Have it on DVD somewhere.

I might as well give this a watch. It's a pilot and 23 minutes out of my life.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    I bet he'll drop the "mong face" if the pilot leads to a series.
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    i think gervias will end up moving to hollywood and concentrat on movies im surprised he hasnt already
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    mrblank wrote: »
    i think gervias will end up moving to hollywood and concentrat on movies im surprised he hasnt already

He tried that, sadly for him no-one wanted to watch them.

The one about the dentist is one of the very few films I've not managed to make it the whole way through, and boy have I watched some crap.

In Gervais' defence he didn't write that one, although his acting certainly didn't help.