"Caroline is a Trained Dancer.."

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennifer_F wrote: »
    Sounds like a spiteful piece in the paper, why print this today of all days. It is clear that she has had dance training, but so have many others, present and in the past. It can;t be avoided these days. She has had no training in ballroom or latin, and that to me, is what matters. She has not had much of an advantage. I;m not especially a fan of Caroline but why spoil someone's day....:(

I don't think most mind too much that some people have done some dance training in the past but I do feel uncomfortable about those who use their claimed lack of training against people who have also done some training but been more open about it.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    I understood, from the early series of Strictly, that the only bar to a celeb being eligible was that they had competed at any age in a formal ballroom/Latin competiton. That's it.

(I seem to think that Alison Hammond also studied Musical Theatre but no one seems to be bothered about that - even after Wuthering Heights ;-) )

Exactly - the BBC invites them on to do the show so they must have been happy with their credentials. Ballet lessons don't count then as far as the BBC are concerned - it isn't the same discipline as ballroom / Latin anyway. The likes of Natalie and Pixie are entirely exonerated - their dance experience was absolutely permitted and they were upfront about it. Not their fault to be pitted against other celebs who hadn't had any ballet lessons when younger - the producers must be hard pressed to find enough celebs to do the show anyhow after 12 series, let alone ones without some dancing experience.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    It's false though. Caroline confirmed that on Twitter.

I dont see why people make out like the others haven't had any sort of training. All the finalists have to some extent. Frankie and Simon are part of a group that sings and dances - have both been to 'Drama/Singing/Dancing' schools. Mark has done the basics of dancing. As has Caroline. It's really nothing new to have people on the show with some dancing knowledge.
    I've seen where others have had some dance training - and why shouldn't they. But where did Mark do his? The principal of the Sylvia Young School has said he attended drama classes, but never had a dance lesson there, and that's the only theatre school he has mentioned.

The Daily Mail obviously has an agenda, but what is it? Is the intention for people to turn again Caroline and not vote for her? Or is it reverse psychology to get people to rail against them and vote for her so she does win?
  • londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This article might work in Caroline's favour. People might feel sorry for her and decide to vote for her.
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My head is clear. And I agree with you.

I said on opening night that Caroline had had some sort of dance experience, it was obvious from the way she moved instinctively when Pasha took up the partnership. But who cares. I think it is obvious too that her experience was not in partner dancing. Her frame is still rather sloppy but she styles it out well. She has entertained me and I have enjoyed many of her dances. Good luck to her and the others tonight.

Hope your fuzzy head is the price of a great night last night Amelia and that you will be fighting fit by 7pm. :)

I think it starts at 6.30 tonight - wouldn't want anyone to be late:) I have it down as 6.30 - 8 and then 8.50 - 10.00.

The DM seem to have it in for Strictly this year, constantly printing snidey articles - usually with the help of an 'insider. Fortunately most people take it all with a massive pinch of salt.
  • PebroxPebrox Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Hardly surprising the DM tries to post something sensationalised as if it's exclusive secret info, when it has been available upfront the entire time. Yawn. I will still be voting for her as she is the most enjoyable to watch and her dances have wowed me the most.
  • tortoisestortoises Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    (I think it's the nudge, nudge innuendo stuff about her love life that winds me up more than the dance stuff. That's just par for the course).
    Likewise; the Daily Mail really is a nasty, misogynistic, small-minded rag.

They published a similarly offensive article about Kristina earlier in the series which seemed designed to imply she was lacking in moral virtue and had shagged almost every dance partner she's ever worked with. God forbid, women in their mid-thirties have actually had *gasp* past sexual relationships.

All the finalists - including Caroline - deserve to be there. I hope she's too busy today to see this unpleasant little article.
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    Aww, I like Caroline, might have to rethink my vote though. :-\
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Sho Nuff wrote: »

The Daily Hitler is a nasty little paper run by some unpleasent people many of them openly racist. I wouldn't wipe my bum with it.
    Forum Member
    EvieJ wrote: »

Seriously, if you let vile rags like the Mail influence you then we are done for as a nation. The Mail is built on hate and bile. Vote for who you like but don't do it based on shite from the Mail.
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    martyboy wrote: »
    I think there may be another article in today's DM too.

A couple of hours ago Caroline tweeted this "Woke up to some horrible unnecessary mean spirited articles today..All I can do I go on tonight and do my best"
    Yes but feeling dispirited :( .. why should she have to read such cr*p? It's bound to mess with her head as she's not the strongest emotionally.
    Spiteful cr*p purposefully written to rain on her parade >:(
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    I've seen where others have had some dance training - and why shouldn't they. But where did Mark do his? The principal of the Sylvia Young School has said he attended drama classes, but never had a dance lesson there, and that's the only theatre school he has mentioned.

The Daily Mail obviously has an agenda, but what is it? Is the intention for people to turn again Caroline and not vote for her? Or is it reverse psychology to get people to rail against them and vote for her so she does win?

Sylvia Young was quoted in the daily mail - the publication that you're now criticising in a BS article that tried to make out that Judy Murray was backing Mark to win Strictly. I've not been able to find any quotes anywhere else from Sylvia Young re Mark's time at the stage school - so given that the article was BS anyway, I'm taking that supposed quote from her as unverifiable.
    Forum Member
    tortoises wrote: »
    Likewise; the Daily Mail really is a nasty, misogynistic, small-minded rag.

They published a similarly offensive article about Kristina earlier in the series which seemed designed to imply she was lacking in moral virtue and had shagged almost every dance partner she's ever worked with. God forbid, women in their mid-thirties have actually had *gasp* past sexual relationships.

All the finalists - including Caroline - deserve to be there. I hope she's too busy today to see this unpleasant little article.

Well said, people should take a read of this as well to see how nasty the Mail is.

https://t.co/Jqq8GabodP
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    EvieJ wrote: »

...why? I think it's ridiculous to base your favourites on possible dance experience, especially as much of the comments against those with it are based on groundless tittle tattle in rags like the Daily Mail. If someone's your favourite, I think you should support them no matter what, and you definitely shouldn't be swayed by convenient 'news' articles of stories that have been available since early September (otherwise, they wouldn't be your favourite). I kept supporting Pixie despite the flack (....no pun here, nuh uh) she received, ditto Natalie last year, and now I want Caroline to win. Perhaps that says more about me than anyone else!
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously, if you let vile rags like the Mail influence you then we are done for as a nation. The Mail is built on hate and bile. Vote for who you like but don't do it based on shite from the Mail.
    Nobody who loves Caroline and Pasha would take notice of such intentionally spiteful articles.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is a musical theatre qualification specific latin/ballroom experience?

Also, I heard she'd done this course months ago.

BIB - No, but it will certainly mean she has an advantage when it comes to the non-Ballroom and non-Latin party-cum-Club dances such as salsa, Charleston, AT .... Now, I wonder which of her dances have been her best? :o
  • Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I don't think most mind too much that some people have done some dance training in the past but I do feel uncomfortable about those who use their claimed lack of training against people who have also done some training but been more open about it.

One thing celebs have presumably learnt never to say when the subject of previous dance experience comes up, is that they 'just sat on a chair' in show xxxxx.

DVO got so much stick for that. That (and being partnered with James) doomed her from the start.
  • sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Caroline...but I won't be voting for her tonight after reading that article
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    Sylvia Young was quoted in the daily mail - the publication that you're now criticising in a BS article that tried to make out that Judy Murray was backing Mark to win Strictly. I've not been able to find any quotes anywhere else from Sylvia Young re Mark's time at the stage school - so given that the article was BS anyway, I'm taking that supposed quote from her as unverifiable.

I do wonder if some of the lower rung zelebs/RTV Stars have some sort of contract with the Mail and their sidebar or shame. The amount of times they happen to get snapped picking a sofa, doing the shopping, peering into a shop window, drinking a cup of coffee, frolicking in the surf, watching an envelope being opened seems disproportionate to their actual fame.
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't new information!

Very spiteful article, clearly trying to put people off voting for Caroline. Personally I have never cared if people have had a bit of dance training. Usually it works against them anyway! People don't like it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    BIB - No, but it will certainly mean she has an advantage when it comes to the non-Ballroom and non-Latin party-cum-Club dances such as salsa, Charleston, AT .... Now, I wonder which of her dances have been her best? :o

But could that be more to do with performance skill than dance skill - the same was true of Jake and he hadn't been dance trained in any way before Strictly?
    Forum Member
    sorrento wrote: »
    I like Caroline...but I won't be voting for her tonight after reading that article

Seriously, you believe the Daily Hitler??? I feel for you. It's a nasty rag full of sad people who feed off hate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorrento wrote: »

Ah, if you think she dances best tonight vote for her regardless, if you don't, don't. I think it's got to the point in the competition now where a bit of eyes and teeth a decade ago isnt going to be the deciding factor.
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    If the article wasn't based on checkable fact, it would be too dangerous for the DM to print it.
    I notice in her (and her management's ) responses, she doesn't deny it.

Like others, I do not object to celebrities having had some training, its almost inevitable if they are employed in the entertainment business, but its when it seems to have hidden, or seriously underplayed that it bothers me.

Her romance with a 17 year old boy (she was 32), creeped me out a bit, but I think this is the last straw, she has lost my vote.
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Cranfield wrote: »
    If the article wasn't based on checkable fact, it would be too dangerous for the DM to print it.

Yes, tell that one to Stephen Gately.
This discussion has been closed.