Options

DVD rentals by post ?

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
You know these DVD hire companies ?
What kind of DVD's do they hire out ?
Are they just the "bare bones" DVD's with no extras etc, or are they decent versions ?

Comments

• Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lovefilms is best one. i use to be with them. the films are the same has what are in places like blockbusters only through the letterbox.
  • Options
    ginockginock Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been using Blockbuster for about 2 months now and have so far been very satisfied, the dvds arrive quite quickly and so far I haven't had too many problems.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    I use Lovefilm. The selection is great but the extras are a bit hit and miss. Some DVDs have loads and others have none, i suppose that will be the same where ever you rent from tho as I'm assuming they are special rental DVDs.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With lovefilm, you can order bonus discs of the film you want which has all the extra stuff on it. i never did though, not really bothered about that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    oh i just pop along to my local Blockbuster, and have a good browse , takes ages..lol
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I'm referring to is that there are two versions of each film.
    A rental version with almost no extras, and a retail version.
    Which versions are available from Lovefilm etc ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are normally a rental version no extra bits. But as Matt has said, you can rent out the bonus disc with the extras on.
  • Options
    MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been using Lovefilm four years now and never been a problem. Only had one faulty disc so far and it was replaced within two days.

They have a good online shop too with occasional bargains as they get rid of their old stock.
  • Options
    hotdiggity1hotdiggity1 Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are not always rental versions . Some companies do not waste money producing 2 versions.

But if there is a rental version that will be the only one Lovefilm are licenced to rent out.

Where they are able to supply bonus features on separate discs these will be from companies who's releases are "For Sale or Rental"
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    Sometimes they send out a two disc edition automatically but it's rare, most I get through on dvd have just a trailer and a behind the scenes usually, but when I rent blu ray, they seem to have extras on.

I've got discs with lots of extras, and discs with no extras. Depends on the film.

I'm with Blockbusters now, but was the same with Lovefilm(for dvds, didn't use blu ray on here).
  • Options
    Beth HartBeth Hart Posts: 6,183
    Forum Member
    I'm kind of with LOVEFiLM, I use Tescodvd which is "powered by LOVEFiLM" but a few pence cheaper and gives Tesco reward vouchers. I only have the cheapest package for films for the children but I'm pleased with the service - there haven't been any extras, just the rental copy of the film.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    One thing to bear in mind is that LoveFilm are in dispute with Universal Pictures meaning that there are loads of titles you cannot rent from LF.
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    That's why I left them, when that started.
  • Options
    boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes they send out a two disc edition automatically but it's rare, most I get through on dvd have just a trailer and a behind the scenes usually, but when I rent blu ray, they seem to have extras on.

I've got discs with lots of extras, and discs with no extras. Depends on the film.

I'm with Blockbusters now, but was the same with Lovefilm(for dvds, didn't use blu ray on here).

This.

Two disc rental is quite rare. Most people aren't fussed and those who are will buy the two disc version. More and more blu rays are two disc which is odd. Also, if you're with Blockbuster you're likely to get new releases supplied by stores themselves.
  • Options
    hotdiggity1hotdiggity1 Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boozer3 wrote: »
    This.

Two disc rental is quite rare. Most people aren't fussed and those who are will buy the two disc version. More and more blu rays are two disc which is odd. Also, if you're with Blockbuster you're likely to get new releases supplied by stores themselves.

I've not had many recent Blurays where the second disc (if there is one) is not a dvd.

Its rare for Blurays not to have the extras on the main disc.
    Disney and some others are now in the habit of supplying new Blurays with a dvd version too
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    You know these DVD hire companies ?
    What kind of DVD's do they hire out ?
    Are they just the "bare bones" DVD's with no extras etc, or are they decent versions ?

Lovefilm hires out a range of items...television series, films from a wide scope of genres.

Some of the titles have bonus discs that you can also rent, they also offer more than one version of particular titles:

EG - Lord of the rings is available to rent in the normal version or the extended version.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was with LOVEFILM for about a year, and they were pretty good. I've now moved to Blockbuster who are pretty decent as well, they also send you tolkens which you can print off and use in-store which is good value for money too.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I was with Lovefilm for years until they annoyed me by lying about their catalogue.

I use Blockbuster.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Im with blockbuster and have never had a problem - pleased with them. They do a £1 trial that lasts i think for 2 weeks - try that and try a lovefilm trial and see which you prefer - ive heard of problems with lovefilm such as taking a long time to get films but it only seems to be a small percentage of people.

Ive just been sent a Lost dvd and the email they send out to tell you says "lost season 4 disc 3 + bonus disc" so am guessing im getting an extras disc. Cant remember what films have as I dont often look at the bonus bits
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been with cinema paradiso for the past 4 years and they are really good.
    Their selection of titles is pretty much on a par with companies like lovefilm and blockbuster and the turnaround times for receiving your next disc is pretty fast, they usually send out another DVD the same day they receive a disc back from you.
  • Options
    srpsrpsrpsrp Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've probably been with them all on and off. I'm currently with Blockbuster who have apparently put up their prices for new subscibers from 12.99 to 14.59 since I joined, also they don't process disks at the weekend unlike some. The Amazon one was the best but I think they are Lovefilm based now. Tesco web site is really slow and it annoyed me, but that was probably 18 months or so ago.

The Blurays I've had all have extras.. I've just watched the extras on Descent 2 this evening infact ! Bluray is the way to go.. forget Sky HD . The best thing is they /don't/ have a stupid Sky announcement over the credits of course LOL !