Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I think you're right that it's the head master -- who is worried from the get-go that Louisa is after his job. And uneasy lies the "head" -- punning reference to headmaster?

I think that secondarily it may be a reference to Martin realizing or trying not to realize his responsibilities and what they might entail. (Curiously there's a scholarly article titled "Uneasy lies the head: the relationship between guilt-proneness and leadership.")

The reason I wondered if he might have recognized her is the parallel with the early scene where he spots the pony-tailed teacher and yanks open the classroom door (early in E1, that is). And it seems like a shape generally like Louisa is visible through the glass in the door.

I've always thought it meant mostly the headmaster because he seems worried about his job throughout the episodes. But I also wondered if it was also referring to the baby - with his parents so tense about his existence. A little obscure I know, but it has always been in my thoughts reading the title.

I do think he was taken aback when he saw the shape in the window. But he probably immediately dismissed it since he had been mistaken before, so that was why he was so shocked when it was actually her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to know if Ben Bolt or someone deliberately set up that connection between the pony-tailed teacher in E1 and this door scene in E2. Everything seems so well thought out and connected in this show, that I wouldn't be surprised if it was all intentional.

Ahh, could this be another question for the questions list talked about a few days ago here?

And don't forget that until this episode there was just the small glass window (that you really couldn't see through anyway) in the door. I always thought that the reason they changed out the door was just for this reason.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I've always thought it meant mostly the headmaster because he seems worried about his job throughout the episodes. But I also wondered if it was also referring to the baby - with his parents so tense about his existence. A little obscure I know, but it has always been in my thoughts reading the title.

I do think he was taken aback when he saw the shape in the window. But he probably immediately dismissed it since he had been mistaken before, so that was why he was so shocked when it was actually her.

Good thought! I like how you put it.

I might agree on the baby if there'd been something about it moving already in this ep, but I think that comes later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And don't forget that until this episode there was just the small glass window (that you really couldn't see through anyway) in the door. I always thought that the reason they changed out the door was just for this reason.

Oooooh, you are so good. Well spotted! Thanks for that insight.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to know if Ben Bolt or someone deliberately set up that connection between the pony-tailed teacher in E1 and this door scene in E2. Everything seems so well thought out and connected in this show, that I wouldn't be surprised if it was all intentional.

Ahh, could this be another question for the questions list talked about a few days ago here?

Maybe we're meant to draw the contrast between his being so sure he saw her through the door in the school, and not recognizing when she was actually there? But I do think there was a moment when he saw the silhouette and wondered and then dismissed the thought.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe we're meant to draw the contrast between his being so sure he saw her through the door in the school, and not recognizing when she was actually there? But I do think there was a moment when he saw the silhouette and wondered and then dismissed the thought.

Another good thought! I like the idea of the contrast.

I just think this ep's beginning is probably one of the most finely acted and exquisitely detailed pieces of the whole series. And the Martin/Aunt Joan scene some one already mentioned is priceless.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another good thought! I like the idea of the contrast.

I just think this ep's beginning is probably one of the most finely acted and exquisitely detailed pieces of the whole series. And the Martin/Aunt Joan scene some one already mentioned is priceless.

The Martin/Aunt Joan scene is very high on my replay list, along with the ending at the castle and the first scene of Season 3.

I agree about the beginning scenes of E2. And it has to be that way because it really sets the tone/stage for the difficulties ahead. I think we continually go back to those scenes in explaining why each of them is acting as they do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I was able to watch on that link you sent on my iPad. Interesting that the nag screen popped up, but I tried touching the arrows to make the video full screen and it worked perfectly. Slight flaw, eh? Shhhhh..... Watched a couple of other programs this morning too.

I loved the program. Laughed when he said the horses turned on a sixpence. Never thought about the fact that the phrase would be different in different countries. I was surprised that he brought up his driving ban on the show - he must not be too sensitive about it. And I loved how excited he was when Bruce & Ronnie returned to the farm. Did anyone else sense that, although he adores Emily, Ronnie & Bruce are the sons he never had?

Thank you for pointing out this flaw, it has now been addressed! :D
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first thought is that Uneasy Lies the Head refers to the headmaster who's having health problem, acting oddly and eventually becomes afraid of LG taking his job. But on further thought, it seems that there are a lot of "uneasy heads" in the episode:
    1. Louisa coming back to the village in her condition and finding Edith at Martin's; not having her own home to go to.
    2. Villagers who greet her in her condition (kind of) : a bit of a fall from grace as headteacher.
    3. Martin --trying to sort out the situation with LG, being questioned by Pauline and Aunt Joan.
    4. Pauline's uncle (his bi thing) and aunt (lack of pregnancy)
    5. Mrs. Tishell's faint in the pub.
    6. And yes, the headmaster, Mr. Strain, losing his mind. Oh, and of course the connection to the "crown" being the porphyria hypothesis for the madness of George III.
    Any others, I've missed?

As to answering the door, I think just a bit surprised/wondering/annoyed perhaps at the knock and who it could be. But the big round eyes and "Louisa" say total surprise to me. I think the pause was just a "Dramatic Paws, oh, sorry, Pause". ;)

How about Uneasy Lies the Head of the, uh, well, certain male part of DM, which wound up impregnating LG, and now has to deal with the consequences...with obviously no more allowance to attempt the bliss of that previous intimacy? :o:o:o;):o:o:o
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason I wondered if he might have recognized her is the parallel with the early scene where he spots the pony-tailed teacher and yanks open the classroom door (early in E1, that is). And it seems like a shape generally like Louisa is visible through the glass in the door.

I think DM has been longing to see LG again, hoping its her whenever someone even close to her looks is espied. For six long months she's been away with no contact at all and I think for six long months he's really missed her.

I mean, remember, they didn't have their wedding, and one is supposed to believe that fairly quickly LG quit the primary school, got the London job, sublet her home, and took off. With the gossip of small village life, how much do you think DM knew of all that happening before she was gone? Could she have hid it from him entirely? If not, what did he know about her going?

He missed her, absolutely. She was like a ghost to him know, her memory haunting him. And, just when an old lover turns up, that ghost reappears in reality, shocking him and being pregnant, shocking him even more.

The obscure glass definitely made for a more dramatic entrance, indeed, especially as I think LG had not faded from DM's mind at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    How about Uneasy Lies the Head of the, uh, well, certain male part of DM, which wound up impregnating LG, and now has to deal with the consequences...with obviously no more allowance to attempt the bliss of that previous intimacy? :o:o:o;):o:o:o

Oh my goodness, Mona. You are the saucy one!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paste in browser: pic.twitter.com/Ix9sIpPK
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    I'm still waiting to get the file to download Heavy Horsepower to YT. A screen cap from ITV player is too choppy and poor quality so I'm waiting for a better file. However, I found an alternative site that allows non UK viewers to watch without Expat Shield or other similar programs. So if you're anxious to watch, give it a try.

Edit: I watched this easily on my Android tablet but when I brought it up on my computer it mentions registration and a fee. Hmm - not sure why it is free for my tablet. :confused:

We really have to keep all this stuff offline especially when the new series starts or the complete bastards will ruin it for everyone. They probably found by google searching their name! :mad::mad::mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »

OK, all right, we can add that one to the list, too. It's just too fun not to! (BTW, my angel wings just fell off reading it! ;);) )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paste in browser: pic.twitter.com/Ix9sIpPK

You are definitely having too much fun! but I love it. You go, girl!:D:cool:
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    We really have to keep all this stuff offline especially when the new series starts or the complete bastards will ruin it for everyone. They probably found by google searching their name! :mad::mad::mad:

We are not out to spoil anyone's fun, however, we are a business and we cant allow our service to be exploited. We provide a great deal of content in a very easy to use site. Why not join us?

Its not expensive, a tenner a month, im sure it wont break your bank! :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    Well, I was fooled once but DCI Banks is on again here on Sat night and is supposed to have DCI Morton in it. I hope so. But I am optimistic that is won't be long since other US cities are getting it. Not available yet in US DVD format. Is it on Netflix?

Well, finally, DCI Helen Morton did come to my PBS station. I am sorry to say I was not impressed. I loved the story but found her character confused and confusing. The portrayal was wooden. I did note her difference in accect and diction. Since the character was only created for the TV series there is no way to go back to the books to flesh out her character.

DM does give the actors a good range to showcase their talents.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BritTV wrote: »
    We are not out to spoil anyone's fun, however, we are a business and we cant allow our service to be exploited. We provide a great deal of content in a very easy to use site. Why not join us?

Its not expensive, a tenner a month, im sure it wont break your bank! :rolleyes:

10 what? Dollars or British Pounds? It's a big difference. And it better work every time, with loads of brand new content. No commercials. Usable on a Mac. And definitely $10 and not British Pounds that would be way too much. You need to give a trial membership to see if it works. There are millions of Internet providers in this country and not all of them are going to work well with your service. It's not right to charge for trying it out. Also, you need to notify everyone when you run their credit card every month, and offer a discount for paying in advance. These are basic business practices in the US. So please hold the smarmy. We don't have patience for that.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    10 what? Dollars or British Pounds? It's a big difference. And it better work every time, with loads of brand new content. No commercials. Usable on a Mac. And definitely $10 and not British Pounds that would be way too much. You need to give a trial membership to see if it works. There are millions of Internet providers in this country and not all of them are going to work well with your service. It's not right to charge for trying it out. Also, you need to notify everyone when you run their credit card every month, and offer a discount for paying in advance. These are basic business practices in the US. So please hold the smarmy. We don't have patience for that.

My 'preview' was choppy and full of ads. The content is free on ITV and can be tolerated. I wouldn't want to pay for the same quality. The reason given on ITV for not allowing anyone outside the UK to watch is 'We do not hold international rights to all of our programming, so video content is supplied only to users with IP addresses in the UK. Some users in the UK may be affected by such geographic blocking if their internet service provider uses servers outside the UK.'. How does this rule change for the pay sites?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BritTV wrote: »

I want to make it very clear that I PAY for my service! It's not a matter of getting a free ride. It's a matter of getting a service that works. Everyone I know here on the forum pays for the content many, many times over through various duplicate services and products.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are definitely having too much fun! but I love it. You go, girl!:D:cool:

I had fun on eBay during my recent two weeks off! If these weren't miniatures, I'd be approaching BP to supply props. I just enjoy the visual joke. The last visual joke like this was done by one of my college students who, when we are studying Christo's earth art, welcomed everyone to class by planting a meandering trail of paper cocktail umbrellas in the grass toward our door. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    My 'preview' was choppy and full of ads. The content is free on ITV and can be tolerated. I wouldn't want to pay for the same quality. The reason given on ITV for not allowing anyone outside the UK to watch is 'We do not hold international rights to all of our programming, so video content is supplied only to users with IP addresses in the UK. Some users in the UK may be affected by such geographic blocking if their internet service provider uses servers outside the UK.'. How does this rule change for the pay sites?

I agree Connie. I pay for plenty of services, but they give value for my dollars. I would never pay for a service that continually stops for buffering or one that include the last 5 minutes of the previous program. There has to be actual value to spend my hard earned dollars.
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    Well, finally, DCI Helen Morton did come to my PBS station. I am sorry to say I was not impressed. I loved the story but found her character confused and confusing. The portrayal was wooden. I did note her difference in accect and diction. Since the character was only created for the TV series there is no way to go back to the books to flesh out her character.

DM does give the actors a good range to showcase their talents.

I'm going to be interested on your take on the second episode. To a degree I agree with your comments, but watching CC is always a treat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had fun on eBay during my recent two weeks off! If these weren't miniatures, I'd be approaching BP to supply props. I just enjoy the visual joke. The last visual joke like this was done by one of my college students who, when we are studying Christo's earth art, welcomed everyone to class by planting a meandering trail of paper cocktail umbrellas in the grass toward our door. :)

Love your little Buddha collection. I recently looked on amazon to see if they had one similar to DM's golden Buddha. Looked through pages and pages of different ones but never found one that looked anything like his.
    Forum Member
    @dcdmfan clearly you have never been on the website free to try, 600+ new shows a day and £10. For the record i am not seeking your approval, they are my site rules, they are fair. If people are not happy they simply steer clear. As for standard US practice, welcome to the World Wide Web! I run a wonderful service that takes a tonne of work and money to run, many people are just delighted to pay 33 pence a day!

Remember why I am here, people wanting to watch a show i provide and pay to bring, without paying me.
This discussion has been closed.