Leaving massive gaps in a traffic queue

123457»

Comments

• TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are people seriously photoshopping photos of streets to try and prove an utterly pointless point? Oh dear me, a new low on DS.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are people seriously photoshopping photos of streets to try and prove an utterly pointless point? Oh dear me, a new low on DS.

Its so much fun though :D
  • ABCWarriorABCWarrior Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's fun for everyone else, and it's stopped being fun for me - I did genuinely want to hear from anyone that regularly saw gaps of ten to 15 cars between stationary or slow moving traffic, as mentioned by two people in this thread - four car length gaps maybe - but 15? Or 'considerable more'? Never. Or where? That is essentially my point. But I think everyone else has lost interest now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Nah,

It's up to YOU to act appropriately when dealing with any car in front whereas you're at the mercy of any car who's behind you.

Exactly, I leave what space I think is correct such that if someone rearends me (which could be due to them being rearended even) then I will not go into the back of the car in front.

If there is some idiot on a road tailgating, getting close etc I'll happily let the pass me so I can then control them...and I'm not a 'slow' driver either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    People like to get from A to B as quick as possible, and by keeping as close to the vehicle in front as possible, they mistakenly think this increases their chances of overtaking at the first opportunity.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or just stay in first gear, your car will moved forwards (albeit slowly) on tick over but there will be a lot less stop-start.

You may end up with a bigger gap in front of you than if you stuck close to the car in front, but it will make your journey far more pleasant than having to constantly accelerate, change gear, brake, change gear, stop, wait, accelerate, change gear, etc.

it would work, but its not smooth - far too much shift torque going on (diesel engine). Doesnt make for a nice experience.

Also as well thinking about it, 1st gear on my car at least with only tickover revs would not have been fast enough to keep pace even though the cars in front were start-stopping. Could apply some power in 1st, but my one runs out of steam very quickly in 1st gear.