Options

Wimbledon coverage 2015

Comments

• Options
    clever3000clever3000 Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    He has. He's been very natural, hasn't overtalked, and has interacted well with the co-commentator.

I wasnt a fan at first but i have to say he improves with every match, i wouldnt be surprised if he is given a semi final of some description
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andy Murray vs Andreas Seppi - Andrew Castle, Tim Henman and John McEnroe
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clever3000 wrote: »
    I wasnt a fan at first but i have to say he improves with every match, i wouldnt be surprised if he is given a semi final of some description

Seven days is a long time in tennis.
    A week ago it was all negative about Inverdale getting axed/ demoted.
    Now he is quite rightly getting praised for his commentary whilst his replacement on the highlights show is getting absolute pelters.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame about the results of the James Ward match, As for Murray that was obvious.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gael Monfils V Gilles Simon - Chris Bradnam and Peter Fleming. Spanning two different courts too. Bless the roof
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gael Monfils V Gilles Simon - Chris Bradnam and Peter Fleming. Spanning two different courts too. Bless the roof

And after all that talk on here earlier about moving courts :D:D
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Physic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

See. I do know what I am talking about :D:p
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    Seven days is a long time in tennis.
    A week ago it was all negative about Inverdale getting axed/ demoted.
    Now he is quite rightly getting praised for his commentary whilst his replacement on the highlights show is getting absolute pelters.

The highlights program has mainly been about the actual tennis highlights when I have seen it, and McEnroe & Henman being on most days isn't bad either.
    Clara Bolding I don't mind either way she doesn't bother me like she seems to bother some.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    The highlights program has mainly been about the actual tennis highlights when I have seen it, and McEnroe & Henman being on most days isn't bad either.
    Clara Bolding I don't mind either way she doesn't bother me like she seems to bother some.

I agree with you regarding Balding and McEnroe but have to disagree with you about Henman, he doesnt seem to add much and he only talks about what he wants to, the other day he was asked about how long Federer would go on for before he retired and he answered it by commenting on how Federer dominated the match, completely missing the point of the question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you regarding Balding and McEnroe but have to disagree with you about Henman, he doesnt seem to add much and he only talks about what he wants to, the other day he was asked about how long Federer would go on for before he retired and he answered it by commenting on how Federer dominated the match, completely missing the point of the question.

Henman is very much a weak link in the BBC team for me. Rusedski was a much better co comm
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    Although it's been widely perceived as a demotion, John Inverdale has been assigned some decent matches. He hasn't been exiled to the outer courts as some people thought.

And whisper it quietly, he's a pretty good commentator, considering he's spent most of his career as an anchor / presenter.

I agree, and even though I was laughed off the forum I said so during Queen's when John Inverdale was commentating. :) I have always liked his presenting, and his commentary is just as good.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Henman is very much a weak link in the BBC team for me. Rusedski was a much better co comm

I guess Henman is an odd one, he was Britain's best before Any Murray came along and topped Henman's records completely.
    Thing is though if they didn't have Henman some people might think it was odd.
    I guess we will have to put up with him for now, I'm sure we could have Andy Murray when he does retire, but that is a long way off!

Did you hear the conversation between McEnroe, Castle and Henmen in the commentary when Seppi (I think that's his name) was taking a medical time out, how they would get rid of warm ups and lets! McEnroe even wants tie breaks in the last set!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I guess Henman is an odd one, he was Britain's best before Any Murray came along and topped Henman's records completely.
    Thing is though if they didn't have Henman some people might think it was odd.
    I guess we will have to put up with him for now, I'm sure we could have Andy Murray when he does retire, but that is a long way off!

Did you hear the conversation between McEnroe, Castle and Henmen in the commentary when Seppi (I think that's his name) was taking a medical time out, how they would get rid of warm ups and lets! McEnroe even wants tie breaks in the last set!

They have them in US Open or other ATP Finals
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Changes to Wimbledon 2day from tomorrow

Moving to a studio above Centre Court

No audience

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/wimbledon-2day-set-axed-moved-6008905
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marke09 wrote: »
    Changes to Wimbledon 2day from tomorrow

Moving to a studio above Centre Court

No audience

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/wimbledon-2day-set-axed-moved-6008905

It will be interesting to see what they will do with it next year, will they go back to having Today at Wimbledon with John Inverdale or could they bring back Today at Wimbledon and keep Clare Balding as the presenter? It will be interesting to see what they are going to do but i think the BBC have learnt their lesson that dumbing down a program wont mean that more enjoy it.
  • Options
    shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Round 4 underway

Kyrgios v Gasquet - John Inverdale & Peter Fleming
    Safarova v Vandeweghe - Mark Petchey & Jo Durie
    Pospisil v Troicki - Barry Davies & Paul Hand
    Keys v Govortsova - Guy McRea & Louise Pleming
  • Options
    shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serena Williams v Venus Williams - Jonathan Overend & John McEnroe/Lindsay Davenport
    Sharapova v Diyas - Chris Bradnam & Sam Smith
    Radwanska v Jankovic - Alison Mitchell & Anne Keothavong
    Bacsinszky v Niculescu - Ronald McIntosh & Liz Smylie
    Azarenka v Bencic - David Mercer & Jo Durie
    Murray v Karlovic - Andrew Cotter & John Lloyd
  • Options
    MarkG6RMarkG6R Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    I like Inverdale as a Presenter, but he is a poor commentator.

After a Foot Fault was called

Inverdale "We haven't got time to discuss it, but isn't the Foot Fault rule antiquated?"

Fleming "Eh, no - why do you say that?"

Inverdale "As I say, we'll talk about it some other time"

Bizarre. does he think the server should be able to wander down the court as far they like?

Then he says Gasquet has to win the tie break to take us into a final set. When he was 2 sets to 1 ahead.
  • Options
    madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see what they will do with it next year, will they go back to having Today at Wimbledon with John Inverdale or could they bring back Today at Wimbledon and keep Clare Balding as the presenter? It will be interesting to see what they are going to do but i think the BBC have learnt their lesson that dumbing down a program wont mean that more enjoy it.

It is an interesting one, you're right. I felt that the production of Wimbledon 2day was very much in the idiom of Gabby Logan's Olympics highlights programmes - especially the 2012 one which was fast-paced, had some slightly silly features à la the seeds board that Clare Balding had on this show, and was generally very good value. Unfortunately this one seemed to fall flat. I honestly didn't mind it too much, but there were some silly aspects of the production. Part of the problem, I guess, is that there's a lot of action to get through everyday at Wimbledon and so there was very little spare time for the chat and features (or people feel shortchanged of action - as they did). Going back to a 'straight' highlights format is no bad thing.
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarkG6R wrote: »
    I like Inverdale as a Presenter, but he is a poor commentator.

After a Foot Fault was called

Inverdale "We haven't got time to discuss it, but isn't the Foot Fault rule antiquated?"

Fleming "Eh, no - why do you say that?"

Inverdale "As I say, we'll talk about it some other time"

Bizarre. does he think the server should be able to wander down the court as far they like?

Then he says Gasquet has to win the tie break to take us into a final set. When he was 2 sets to 1 ahead.

not as bad as this guy...Ronald McIntosh...
    he is the worst comm..... i cant listen to him..
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the Mail on Sunday yesterday one of the producers involved in making changes to the Today at Wimbledon programmes was also involved in turning Ski Sunday into more of a magazine programme and who did she bring in to present that? Clare Balding - no criticism of Clare she can only work with what she is given
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I've not really been able to watch much Wimbledon this year, but have throughly enjoyed that which I have seen. The Brown v Nadal match was superb viewing and I really thought Brown might go further than he did. His match with Troicki was good in parts, but a bit disappointing after his performance against Nadal, IMHO.
  • Options
    BoozyuziBoozyuzi Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone Else hearing occasional whistle blowing in the background f Djokovic v Anderson ?
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    shaun_d wrote: »
    Serena Williams v Venus Williams - Jonathan Overend & John McEnroe/Lindsay Davenport
    Sharapova v Diyas - Chris Bradnam & Sam Smith
    Radwanska v Jankovic - Alison Mitchell & Anne Keothavong
    Bacsinszky v Niculescu - Ronald McIntosh & Liz Smylie
    Azarenka v Bencic - David Mercer & Jo Durie
    Murray v Karlovic - Andrew Cotter & John Lloyd

BIB. Those two completely ruined what was a good match. Someone should inform them that it's not a shouting competition to see who can shout the loudest!