Options

STV doing well, revenue up 7% to £120.4 million (profit £17.3 m)

2»

Comments

• Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    Yes thats why we now get the England footie games, and even FA cup, which STV used to op-out of.

Ive nothing against the network shows, although some are shite, i just wish they would use some of that profit to make a decent scots drama, something new original bold and distinctive, im sure if its done well it will sell abroad,

I know 3 countries that would defo buy it, Austrailia, New Zealand and Canada, also Ireland and France, the trick is to make a drama that appeals beyond Scotland.

I suggest a period drama set during 2nd world war, similar to downton abbey about a rich family and their poor servants and affairs and stuff, they could call it RETURN TO LOCH NESS.

I may not agree with what you say but (highlighted) I am in full agreement with - but why is STV not making any or even taking risks? I see they continously plug Taggart and other old dramas they made for their STV "locals". I find it more of a shame when STV had the ITV dispute they would take risks but all they did was import programming from Australia and run crap MTV shows (which ironic of all never aired on MTV - probably MTV knew the programme in question was crap), but I hated the fact that STV "renamed" the Underbelly as if it was their own show and the relation of it was to Glasgow (really? I fail to see what drug cartels, gangsters has got to do with us in North of Scotland but it had more of a connection to Glasgow ... again STV fails to recognise anything outwith Glasgow/Edinburgh and thats where the focus really is sadly)... As for their own plugging of the show with the STV brand I felt it was more of an embarassment and it was as if they were proud of it but yet the show was made by Network 7 in Australia and had nothing to do with STV (again STV claiming as if they blew some money on drama and all they did was blow money on importing - I wonder how much it was?)
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STV has always been Glasgow-centric. Even now, on STV HD. at each junction we are told what is on the city station STV Glasgow. Eh, hello STV, we have STV Edinburgh here. If you can't split the HD service, then say nothing!
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STV has always been Glasgow-centric. Even now, on STV HD. at each junction we are told what is on the city station STV Glasgow. Eh, hello STV, we have STV Edinburgh here. If you can't split the HD service, then say nothing!

It is BBC that gets all the moaning about <capital city>-centric but it happens everywhere and if anything STV are worse. In the days of analogue when they eventually got coverage on the West coast as UHF expanded, they continued to just give the weather forecast for Glasgow so I eventually to them to point out that they did cover a wider area. I have never seen a STV OB (or even badged news) vehicle on the West coast (going back right through analogue days when they all used to have such vehicles).
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Now you know how I feel in the old Grampian area is not even in HD but by default if you want the STV HD quality - Glasgow is default (I noticed that on my freeview TV in my area get STV North/Dundee on SD but Glasgow is HD) as in regards to programming being offered on their "locals" that does not surprise me either as its basically a simulcast of Glasgow apart from your "local" differs ie The Riverside/Fountainbridge show - but when STV Aberdeen/Dundee launch it'll be exactly the same but I can see STV advertising STV Glasgow mostly (unless by then the areas will have their own ads for the locals?)