Options

Neighbour problems

Keyplayer2010Keyplayer2010 Posts: 2,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone had any and how did you deal with it?

One of my neighbours always seems to get noisy come the weekend, lots of banging noises etc..

I feel like going around there and throttling them.

Comments

• Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speak to your neighbour first to see if a compromise can be reached.

If thats a no go then keep a diary of all noisy disturbances and contact your local environmental noise team who will be located at your town hall. You could always try ringing their out of hours service, if they have one, you could get lucky and have an officer visit your property to see if they can witness the noises themselves, much better for you if they do.
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member

One of my neighbours always seems to get noisy come the weekend, lots of banging noises etc..

Good for you. A swift kick to the knackers then as they're going down in agony a hard punch to the face. Works a treat. You'll never hear from them again.
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is it accompanied with human moans and groans ?- if yes, then best to let it go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    Is it accompanied with human moans and groans ?- if yes, then best to let it go.

oohh YES :D
  • Options
    flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once had neighbours who thought it was ok to party all night long then sleep all day. Yes, they used to party all night, but by heck did I let them sleep all day. I use to wait until they went to sleep around 6-7am, give them 15minutes, then blast out my TV on a German news channel, open my back door and put my washine machine on under their bedroom window and generally bang about doing whatever noisy thing I could. It was funny to see all their friends who'd crashed out in their living room slink off out of the front door and go home when they realised they weren't going to get any sleep after their hard night.:D
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luckily, a combination of the coppers (for drug offences) and the council eventually got the nuisance out. We've got an okay council (sort of council) up here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    Would it were so simple? I recently had "issues" with a nearby neighbour. Seeking consolation (or explanation?) I now find, that this bloke gives old ladies "problems". He "undresses in front of small children". He "peers" at other blokes wives in bathrooms... Not QUITE sure why he is so tolerated! Not yet sure yet whether to be a "whistle blower" on this... :confused:

I have yet to see a GOOD case for significant involvement with neighbours? :p
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can't speak with your neighbour OP, why not put a note through his door?
  • Options
    spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a neighbour once, when I lived in a flat and, he could hear my tv and came downstairs to explain in a nice way. We then went up to his flat [with my tv on] and he had a point. No shouting or bad feelings I just didn't know my noise was that loud.

3 years later I did the same to some new neighbours, no shouting but I invited them into my home so they could hear it themselves. 95% of the time that is all you have to do.
  • Options
    The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member
    I have had ASBO pensioners, taking me to court on the basis of bull. Trying to get the use of my garden, cheeky old gits under some law even more ancient than they are.

They were a nightmare.

They'd shout a two year old for playing in his own back garden,
  • Options
    Keyplayer2010Keyplayer2010 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    If you can't speak with your neighbour OP, why not put a note through his door?

I've spoke to the woman next door loads of times sh is a nice person but her husbands a miserable git.

I have banged on the wall when its happening, i mean surely they must get the message?

Next time i will go around, i mean its like midnight and they are causing quite a lot of banging noises, it sounds like something heavy has hit the floorboards every 5/10 minutes.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phone the police anonymously and tell them you've just witnessed a bloke dragging a screaming girl into the house, and that she looked just like Madeline McCann.
  • Options
    passionfruit69passionfruit69 Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a neighbour who must live off garlic, I don't know what on earth it is that he cooks on a regular basis but every other day the stench of strong garlic seeps through my walls like the smog:

It is so strong it makes my eyes water and makes me feel sick.

How on earth am I supposed to approach the bloke with this sort of complaint: eh excuse me mate can you not just av an omlette tonight for your tea, or are you living a secret life as a fu........ vampire!! Help:mad: :mad:
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new neighbours next door to me have been a right pain. They moved in at the start of October and so far they've had arguments and most recently they seem to like talking really loud at the top of their voices until the early hours.

Last night, i was trying to sleep and all they were doing was talking with not a single silence. Before i fully went to sleep, i banged on the wall and they had the cheek to bang back!10 minutes later, i shouted "people are trying to sleep in here" and it soon went quiet.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you ever thought that they may be on the payroll of a secret organisation whose goal is to keep you in a state of constant agitation?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    why don`t you just go round and speak to him?
  • Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to agree with the talking to the neighbour directly approach. Invite the "quiet" one round when the banging is at it's worse, unless it's the quiet one being banged of course. Then let the conversation flow, and politely point out how loud the banging is. If they are decent people, she/he will go back and explain the banging has to stop or be kept to certain times to avoid causing problems.

If the banging is DIY, then I think you should be flexible and let them complete the DIY task asap. Tolerate the banging for longer in the short term so the DIY is finished sooner. If you want to restrict them to 3-4 hours a weekend, you might find the job taking twice as long and in effect causing you twice the misery.

That said. If they AREN'T decent people. The only route to go down is the official route. Log each noise event in a diary. Date/Time, type of noise, how it affects you. Get the local council involved. Ask any other quieter neighbours if they are bothered by the noise and suggest the keep logs themselves. Present your evidence to the council and they should, intervene.
  • Options
    N20JetCarN20JetCar Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    deleted:eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've spoke to the woman next door loads of times sh is a nice person but her husbands a miserable git.

I have banged on the wall when its happening, i mean surely they must get the message?

Next time i will go around, i mean its like midnight and they are causing quite a lot of banging noises, it sounds like something heavy has hit the floorboards every 5/10 minutes.
    Unless it was an emergency fix, I ask the nice one if she could speak with her husband to leave the DIY to daytime only. If she said yes and it happens, good. If she says no or says yes and it doesn't happen, report her husband to the local environment/noise pollution people. It's unreasonable for someone to be doing their DIY at midnight repetitively without giving some notice to their neighbour first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Jason100 wrote: »
    The new neighbours next door to me have been a right pain. They moved in at the start of October and so far they've had arguments and most recently they seem to like talking really loud at the top of their voices until the early hours.

Last night, i was trying to sleep and all they were doing was talking with not a single silence. Before i fully went to sleep, i banged on the wall and they had the cheek to bang back!10 minutes later, i shouted "people are trying to sleep in here" and it soon went quiet.

sounds like my old neighbours from lincoln, they arn't called GAZ & SHELL are they.

seriously we had the same problem, we just went to war with them, played loud music, banged about, one time till 4am, my wife got our airer and was banging it on the floor for 10 mins, we stomped about upstairs all the time, i drilled the walls at 2am, they soon got fed up and moved out in october this year.

The noisy chav dole scum they were, it was alright for them to make noise until 3am every night, they didnt have work the next morning.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorgo wrote: »
    sounds like my old neighbours from lincoln, they arn't called GAZ & SHELL are they.

seriously we had the same problem, we just went to war with them, played loud music, banged about, one time till 4am, my wife got our airer and was banging it on the floor for 10 mins, we stomped about upstairs all the time, i drilled the walls at 2am, they soon got fed up and moved out in october this year.

The noisy chav dole scum they were, it was alright for them to make noise until 3am every night, they didnt have work the next morning.

Unfortunately, it may be the same with my neighbours. They're quiet during they day and we don't hear a single peep from them but when it's dark they're up and about until the early morning.

Last night they were still yapping away until 2:45am, i got woken up by them as it sounded like someone outside talking but it was them! I've already phoned the letting agency about the arguing from this lot. This isn't the first time i've been woken up by their late night talking sessions.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a neighbour who must live off garlic, I don't know what on earth it is that he cooks on a regular basis but every other day the stench of strong garlic seeps through my walls like the smog:

It is so strong it makes my eyes water and makes me feel sick.

How on earth am I supposed to approach the bloke with this sort of complaint: eh excuse me mate can you not just av an omlette tonight for your tea, or are you living a secret life as a fu........ vampire!! Help:mad: :mad:

That doesn't make a lot of sense. If he was a vampire, he wouldn't use garlic.

Just saying.