Options

the annoyance of unexpected visitors

13»

Comments

• Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I don't like unexpected visitors and never call on people unnanounced. I would hate to feel they were gritting their teeth and missing their favourite programme while I drank tea and chatted away happily to them. On the other hand I do think it was probably better in the old days when people did feel free to knock casually on someone's door and drop in for a cup of tea and a chat without having to give advance warning. But life has changed and with phones and mobiles and texting people do expect you to let them know if you're planning to call around and not just show up on their doorstep when they had planned a night in front of the telly in their pjs.
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We probably still get one or two a week; at the weekends or in the evenings. But nothing like some of my friends. One of my friends - who I think would chew her arm off if she didn't have someone to talk to - has a house like Euston Station; there's a constant through-put. That would drive me barmy.

But it's nice that in rural Ireland it's still considered quite normal to 'drop in while you're passing' and expect the kettle to be boiled. I hope it never dies out. :)

Also, it encourages a modicum of house-keeping every weekend - just in case.

Personally, I always ring ahead if I'm going to call on someone. I just never seem to have the time anymore. :(
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like unexpected visitors and never call on people unnanounced. I would hate to feel they were gritting their teeth and missing their favourite programme while I drank tea and chatted away happily to them. On the other hand I do think it was probably better in the old days when people did feel free to knock casually on someone's door and drop in for a cup of tea and a chat without having to give advance warning. But life has changed and with phones and mobiles and texting people do expect you to let them know if you're planning to call around and not just show up on their doorstep when they had planned a night in front of the telly in their pjs.
    Exactly.

I have heard people say 'drop around anytime' and then regale you at some other time with stories of someone who'd done just that and how irritated they were with them.

Lots of people are really busy and could have any number of things they needed/wanted to do so it doesn't hurt to ask or make arrangements. As you say, I'd rather be sure I was expected and welcome.
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad I'm not the only person who enjoys what little me time I have and get upset when people arrive unannounced!
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in London, so I never get any friends 'popping by' unannounced. Which is good because I wouldn't like it.
  • Options
    Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Just think of it as being kind and neighbourly, and then you won't get so stressed.

If I subscribed to that hippy lifestyle, I'd go live in a commune.

Instead I think of it just what it factually is: Free work for the Royal Mail at whatever cost of annoyance they wish to inflict on people as they see fit.

Harassment is illegal you know.
  • Options
    Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Or they could just not answer the door! Either way its no biggie really.

Unless I am missing something ?

So there you are just nodded off to sleep after your long and hard nightshift when there is someone bashing on your door as they have decided for you that it's your turn to do Royal Mail work without pay.

Or sit and relax on your day off and have someone bashing on your door.

If a stranger off the street did it every so often, you would call the police and yet as it's the Royal Mail, the usual laws don't apply for some reason.

I didn't sign anything to opt in to this scheme and so will not be taking part.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only answer the door if I'm expecting a parcel or a pre-arranged guest (very rare). I need to be mentally prepared for social calls.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    If I subscribed to that hippy lifestyle, I'd go live in a commune.

Instead I think of it just what it factually is: Free work for the Royal Mail at whatever cost of annoyance they wish to inflict on people as they see fit.

Harassment is illegal you know.

There are stickers to put on your door, you know.

I would worry about your health if you weren't just an anonymous person on the internet.
  • Options
    georgetheaspiegeorgetheaspie Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But nothing like some of my friends. One of my friends - has a house like Euston Station; there's a constant through-put. :(

I read that as ' has a house at Euston Station. :eek::o Imagine the possibilities...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So there you are just nodded off to sleep after your long and hard nightshift when there is someone bashing on your door as they have decided for you that it's your turn to do Royal Mail work without pay.

Or sit and relax on your day off and have someone bashing on your door.
    Maybe buy a little knocker or bell so nobody has to bash?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One good thing about not having many friends is that you don't have this problem. Your time is your own.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a wireless door bell and if I am not expecting a parcel then the batteries are not in it!

Friends know my mobile number and if I want them around, as I often do, I invite them around. If not, I say I'm busy or don't answer the phone.

I dictate what happens in my life, not others.

Now we have the new work for Royal Mail without pay scheme whereby they knock on your door with someone else's parcel for you to arrange delivery for for them whilst they save money! Doesn't matter if you are doing a nightshift, you are there to do their work for them!

Maybe you could put a little note on your door saying you don't sign for neighbours parcels?
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I haven't

It's very good, 8 academy awards.
  • Options
    Dusk1983Dusk1983 Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll come back to you miserable gets in 50 years when you are sitting in your own urine quite literally dying to see a soul.
  • Options
    AshbourneAshbourne Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    There are stickers to put on your door, you know.

I would worry about your health if you weren't just an anonymous person on the internet.

But you chose to post a personal attack to "an anonymous person on the internet" :confused:

Weird!

I am ok with unexpected callers but I have had my moments in the past with them :o
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Ashbourne wrote: »
    But you chose to post a personal attack to "an anonymous person on the internet" :confused:

What personal attack is this?
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dusk1983 wrote: »
    I'll come back to you miserable gets in 50 years when you are sitting in your own urine quite literally dying to see a soul.
    You might end up in that situation after you've kept on imposing on people and annoyed them all.