New EastEnders set and a potential £15 million price tag.

Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Reason i ask is that i was reading an item archived on Broadcast that indicates they have viewed a tender document that indicates the BBC was prepared to spend in excess of £15 million. Im not having a dig at the show but thats a hell of a lot of money to spend on a temp & permanent set. The cost is also referred to in the Borehamwood & Elstree Times for those not able to view archived items at Broadcast.

http://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/news/elstree_film_and_tv_news/11016217.New_EastEnders_set_could_cost_licence_fee_payer___15million/

It also has me wondering what the final cost of the recently opened Corrie set was, unless they are going to construct more than just the facades again i struggle to see how the BBC are going to spend in excess of £15 million.

Comments

• VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deja Vu

We've already had this thread. It's an investment for the future.
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Wasn't this already news three months or so ago. DS even reported on it, fail to see what's new in the post but it looks to be the same as before.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cue the inevitable "Licence fee" being wasted comments
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't this already news three months or so ago. DS even reported on it, fail to see what's new in the post but it looks to be the same as before.

Obviously i never noticed a thread about it.>:(

15 million is certainly way too much money to spend on a set, 8 million tops to rebuild but double that is unacceptable as the BBC budget is squeezed further.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cue the inevitable "Licence fee" being wasted comments

Not from me though i do have to say if they can find that much to rebuild the set then surely they can find the money to keep BBC Three as a broadcast channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

15 million is certainly way too much money to spend on a set, 8 million tops to rebuild but double that is unacceptable as the BBC budget is squeezed further.

In your opinion. 15 million is not that much when you consider the set has never had any upgrade in nearly 30 years
  • VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suggest you look at ballooning movie and TV budgets in general.

15 million is modest by comparison. EastEnders needs to compete and stay modern, as I said, this is an investment for the foreseeable future.

If they didn't think the upgrade wasn't worth it, they obviously wouldn't have chosen to spend that amount.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In your opinion. 15 million is not that much when you consider the set has never had any upgrade in nearly 30 years

Yes it s my opinion but there has to be cheaper options, i actually wonder at the stupidity that exists within the BBC these days because that does feel like a **** packet number, when the tender document is released in full to potential bidders the cost may be a lot less to the corporation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vashetti wrote: »
    I suggest you look at ballooning movie and TV budgets in general.

15 million is modest by comparison. EastEnders needs to compete and stay modern, as I said, this is an investment for the foreseeable future.

If they didn't think the upgrade wasn't worth it, they obviously wouldn't have chosen to spend that amount.

I know about the ballooning budgets in tv as in a way its not that much different from the NHS, i wonder if they can actually afford this at the moment with the fee frozen and if it will come out of the programming budget or will they use funding from other sources to enable the set to be constructed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes it s my opinion but there has to be cheaper options, i actually wonder at the stupidity that exists within the BBC these days because that does feel like a **** packet number, when the tender document is released in full to potential bidders the cost may be a lot less to the corporation.

Fair point but I don't think the cost is that much. I agree with you re BBC3 though, what a shame
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair point but I don't think the cost is that much. I agree with you re BBC3 though, what a shame

Im not even the target age for BBC Three but I'm a fully committed to seeing it kept as an on air channel, and i guess when compared to the Salford mess a new EE set does look value for money.
  • valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    As long as they stay at Borehamwood , I don't care about the cost. The worst thing would be if they upped and moved to Salford!

A London soap made in Lancashire is stupid! It must stay down South.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as much as i would have liked television centre to have remained and the money spent on revamping it, media city in salford can hardly be called a mess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valtimmy wrote: »
    As long as they stay at Borehamwood , I don't care about the cost. The worst thing would be if they upped and moved to Salford!

A London soap made in Lancashire is stupid! It must stay down South.

as eastenders have very little outside broadcasting and virtually everything shot on the lot, i see no reason why they could not build the new lot at media city. salford, leeds, liverpool, borehamwood, i doesn't make much difference.
  • bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually it's not a lot of money. Do any of you on here criticising the amount have any idea of how much things cost these days?
  • bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh and before people bark at me about my previous post, I work in property and construction, so yes I do know what I'm talking about.

I agree that the tender process might reduce the cost - but better that they put forward a top end budget now and end up with a reduced overall cost than under-budgeting and then having to justify the escalated costs.
  • lloys-strachanlloys-strachan Posts: 1,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The set is nearly thirty years old and constructed mainly of plywood and render. It was only supposed to have a life of less than ten years.

The new set will be bigger and HD and eventually 4k compatible. Spending £15 million on a set that should last twice as long (if not longer), as the present one and provide shooting locations for four programs a week , every week of the year for that amount of time is excellent value.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's excellent value for a programme that airs over 230 episodes a year.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of these experts in here. My, my we are a talented lot aren't we? :D;)
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,168
    Forum Member
    Oh and before people bark at me about my previous post, I work in property and construction, so yes I do know what I'm talking about.

I agree that the tender process might reduce the cost - but better that they put forward a top end budget now and end up with a reduced overall cost than under-budgeting and then having to justify the escalated costs.

Well said B&G.

I don't think it's a big deal either, I'm glad that they are investing in the shows future.