Options

50 'Community Radio' stations to be investigated

13»

Comments

• Options
    Kev_AkasKev_Akas Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone who has experience with Ofcom I do think believe are investigating some stations for being honest. They may as well lie in their 2015 report as Ofcom never followed up any reports I know were written in the early days.

2014 is not 2006/7/8/9 when lots got their licences. The coalition did a good job in 2010 of obliterating arts funding and pretty much any ability to get funding which was a lifeline at some stations to pay for the only full time member of staff. Less people are volunteering because they can't afford to. It's a different world, and if the people don't ask to volunteer then you don't get the numbers.

You can apply to change your key commitments Ofcom say. But unless you can juggle 5 balls whilst bouncing on a trampoline whilst reciting Pi to 19 places they won't let you. Then they'll write to you and tell you that you're being investigated for not keeping to the commitment you said you would.

One station is being investigated for aiming to do something, and being unable to. To aim is to have the intention of achieving. It's nice to be penalised for that. :)
  • Options
    ex piratex pirat Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kev_Akas wrote: »
    As someone who has experience with Ofcom I do think believe are investigating some stations for being honest. They may as well lie in their 2015 report as Ofcom never followed up any reports I know were written in the early days.

2014 is not 2006/7/8/9 when lots got their licences. The coalition did a good job in 2010 of obliterating arts funding and pretty much any ability to get funding which was a lifeline at some stations to pay for the only full time member of staff. Less people are volunteering because they can't afford to. It's a different world, and if the people don't ask to volunteer then you don't get the numbers.

You can apply to change your key commitments Ofcom say. But unless you can juggle 5 balls whilst bouncing on a trampoline whilst reciting Pi to 19 places they won't let you. Then they'll write to you and tell you that you're being investigated for not keeping to the commitment you said you would.

One station is being investigated for aiming to do something, and being unable to. To aim is to have the intention of achieving. It's nice to be penalised for that. :)

Yes it,s 2014 & we have low cost on line station run from peoples home studios ,with no ofcom to worry about ?.

Maybe it,s time for ofcom to review community radio ?. Also how can community radio survive with just 50w it,s a joke ?.
  • Options
    Kev_AkasKev_Akas Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ex pirat wrote: »
    Yes it,s 2014 & we have low cost on line station run from peoples home studios ,with no ofcom to worry about ?.

Maybe it,s time for ofcom to review community radio ?. Also how can community radio survive with just 50w it,s a joke ?.

I agree. Some very good internet radio stations are run for the cost of the music licencing, tiny overheads and electricity, community radio cannot run for free, despite David Cameron wanting the 'Big Society' to be full of volunteers. Stuff costs.

I agree one of the big issues aside to the freedom to make as much money as you can through whatever relevant means is transmitter power. 25 watts is silly. I've witnessed first hand being 3 miles away from the transmitter - line of sight - and the signal struggling to get through a couple of walls in a standard house. That instantly means your station can't be the one on in the kitchen, or the bedroom. So won't be an option.

Sadly I don't think CR will ever be given freedom.
  • Options
    kipperthecatkipperthecat Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously?

Community Internet radio is surely a joke!

on-line figures on some of the best of these reach no more than a few dozen people

You may as well set up a PA system in your local shopping centre you would reach more people.

For me internet radio is NOT radio only wireless is real radio - but then I'm old school and realistic.

There is a place for Community radio in REAL rather than virtual communities and live on-air wireless radio is the way to deliver it!
  • Options
    ex piratex pirat Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kev_Akas wrote: »
    I agree. Some very good internet radio stations are run for the cost of the music licencing, tiny overheads and electricity, community radio cannot run for free, despite David Cameron wanting the 'Big Society' to be full of volunteers. Stuff costs.

I agree one of the big issues aside to the freedom to make as much money as you can through whatever relevant means is transmitter power. 25 watts is silly. I've witnessed first hand being 3 miles away from the transmitter - line of sight - and the signal struggling to get through a couple of walls in a standard house. That instantly means your station can't be the one on in the kitchen, or the bedroom. So won't be an option.

Sadly I don't think CR will ever be given freedom.

I thought it was 50w & that's a joke ?.
    Would it not been better to have fewer community station but on a more realistic power covering a bigger area ,not just to end of the road ?.
    The way things are there are 100s of small stations with very few listeners.
  • Options
    smorrissmorris Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    They must be forced to use the 25 watts horizontal to meet the licence.

25 watts vertical and 0 watts horizontal is pathetic.
    To be fair it makes very little difference for most listeners - it won't make it go much further, just make the signal more robust for people listening on wire aerials or for (the tiny minority) who still use horizontal rooftop aerials.

Lots of commercial stations (and virtually all radio in Italy for example) uses vertical polarisation only.
  • Options
    DoctorDaveDoctorDave Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The CR station that I am connected had a professional evaluation of what changing the aerial configuration would do, and the results were interesting in that they indicated that although it might make the signal reception stronger for those who could already receive it, it would achieve very little else unless we could move the transmitter and the aerial from the present site. This is not financially possible. The advice was to press OFCOM for increased signal strength, which we are trying to do by negotiating with OFCOM.
    It's also noticeable that the DCMS consultation has, nearly two years down the line led to no evidence that there is likely to be a freeing up of the regulations regarding sponsorship or advertising for those stations in the TSA of a small commercial operation. Pity! It would make our operation able to undertake some of the changes that are held back by lack of funds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Maybe ofcom should be investigating more than key commitments. There is a community station in Leeds that seems to randomly broadcast all the way to Sheffield on certain days (generally evenings and weekends). Thought they could only broadcast upto 5km. Funnily enough once this investigation was announced they could only be heard in the area they were meant to cover but since Xmas Eve they can be heard across Leeds, Huddersfield all the way to Sheffield again.
  • Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cranking up the power has been known before.... http://radiotoday.co.uk/2011/02/total-star-in-power-breach/
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just looked at the list. I'm surprised BCB ison it. It is one of the most diverse community radio stations out therre.
    AKhanna1 wrote: »
    Maybe ofcom should be investigating more than key commitments. There is a community station in Leeds that seems to randomly broadcast all the way to Sheffield on certain days (generally evenings and weekends). Thought they could only broadcast upto 5km. Funnily enough once this investigation was announced they could only be heard in the area they were meant to cover but since Xmas Eve they can be heard across Leeds, Huddersfield all the way to Sheffield again.

Is that Radio Asian Fever? It is quite clear here. I didn't think it could reach Sheffield though.

They ought to be cautious because they've been in trouble with the regulator before.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AKhanna1 wrote: »

5km radius of the studio, or 5 square km?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was 50w & that's a joke ?.
    Would it not been better to have fewer community station but on a more realistic power covering a bigger area ,not just to end of the road ?.
    The way things are there are 100s of small stations with very few listeners.

Indeed the ones transmitting at just 25 watts only (25 watts vertical and 0 watts horizontal) when they are supposed to be transmitting at 50 watts (25 watts vertical and 25 watts horizontal) must surely be in breach of fheir licence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just like running a shop from home.
  • Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Indeed the ones transmitting at just 25 watts only (25 watts vertical and 0 watts horizontal) when they are supposed to be transmitting at 50 watts (25 watts vertical and 25 watts horizontal) must surely be in breach of fheir licence.
    No, that's the maximum power they are licensed for. It they choose to transmit less then that is their decision.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    yes. Have heard them clearly upto junction 35/36 on M1. Bit shocking how Ofcom are allowing it? Although don't think there is anyone near on their frequency so no one to say anything.
  • Options
    DaveNightingaleDaveNightingale Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Topography and transmission site can always have an effect on a signal,regardless of the power that a CR station can have. I can remember an RSL i worked on in Sheffield being picked up loud and clear in Mansfield, even though the kit was approved and had been checked for compliance by the relevant authorities.

So, it might not necessarially be the case that said station are in breach of the power of their transmitter. Just that the siting of their transmitter is better than that of Radio Aire, which as the heritage station for the city is almost unlistenable in the centre of it.
  • Options
    Peace100Peace100 Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how Gaydio are possibly fulfilling their CR FM licence for Manchester with their current output?
    Pre the takeover of the former Gaydar Radio DAB licences they were 100% Manchester centric, played a good variety of music; not just dance all day and actually featured What's On in Manchester the area they were licenced for as a Community Station.
    Had a couple of days off and listening to the FM feed the output is almost completely national apart from the odd local commercial and a couple of hours separate programming in the evening weekdays and in the morning at the weekend. Not even any talk of what is happening in Manchester or really any mention of Manchester in links at all.
  • Options
    hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is Ofcom's way of getting rid of the remaining community stations so the nationalised Bauer/Global stations can hog the frequencies.
  • Options
    kipperthecatkipperthecat Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »
    This is Ofcom's way of getting rid of the remaining community stations so the nationalised Bauer/Global stations can hog the frequencies.

where is your evidence? I think that is just aa silly thing to say
  • Options
    gavvy4745gavvy4745 Posts: 142
    Forum Member

It would be more interesting to hear from any of the members of the 50 CR stations concerned as to what the nature of these investigations actually is....

I volunteer at one of the stations on the list and we were in breach due to not training 100 volunteers a year, this was revised to 50 a year and accepted at our license renewal. No breach was recorded. I guess thats probably the case for most stations but who knows :)