Can I have Two Internet Routers?

Hi

I have VM broadband entering my property on the ground floor. The wireless reception in my loft conversion *was* truly awful with superhub so I re-configured the unit to be a modem feeding an ASUS wireless router which is 1000 times better. That said reception still drops out from time to time, or maybe it's the VM feed itself. Anyway on to my actual question.

I intend to run a small business from my loft and need a rock solid internet connection up there, ideally hard wired (ethernet). The incoming VM feed downstairs is connected to a splitter, a legacy of when I had a VM STB and procured TV services from VM (now I use FreeSAT).

So I was wondering, can I connect a length of co-ax cable to this splitter and run the cable up to the loft where I would connect a second router?

Would I need another VM Superhub or just any router?

And would I need to tell VM? And would I need to pay VM extra every month?

Thanks

Sally

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the best of my knowledge you cannot connect two modems to one Virgin line.

If you are planning to run a cable just run a length of CAT5 cable from the existing router then stick a simple network switch on the end. CAT5 is good for 100m so you would have to have one hell of a big house to run into problems with that :D
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge you cannot connect two modems to one Virgin line.

If you are planning to run a cable just run a length of CAT5 cable from the existing router then stick a simple network switch on the end. CAT5 is good for 100m so you would have to have one hell of a big house to run into problems with that :D

Exactly spot on.

cheapest and most effective option
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you can have a second hub with your virgin hubs ( type 1 or 2 ) with ease and there is no trouble with wireless signal even in the same room as I done that. But if you do have signal trouble just go into settings and change radio signal channels apart.

use the cat5 plug number 1 on both boxes to join them

you can even have virgin cable internet using two hubs and BT internet hub5 working in the same house and there is no trouble as you use the cat5 to TV's and boxes and different devices like pads, laptops, smart phone to link to virgin or BT, its just down to settings and passcodes for them all work together easy.

remember that a second hub will give you extra cat5 ports to use for computers or TV, TV boxes or DVD boxes or Blue Ray boxes or game boxes.

it down to what speed/ bandwidth you have
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvmad-alan wrote: »
    Yes you can have a second hub with your virgin hubs ( type 1 or 2 ) with ease and there is no trouble with wireless signal even in the same room as I done that. But if you do have signal trouble just go into settings and change radio signal channels apart.

use the cat5 plug number 1 on both boxes to join them

you can even have virgin cable internet using two hubs and BT internet hub5 working in the same house and there is no trouble as you use the cat5 to TV's and boxes and different devices like pads, laptops, smart phone to link to virgin or BT, its just down to settings and passcodes for them all work together easy.

remember that a second hub will give you extra cat5 ports to use for computers or TV, TV boxes or DVD boxes or Blue Ray boxes or game boxes.

it down to what speed/ bandwidth you have
    That is not what the OP was asking.

She was asking if she could split the incoming Virgin circuit to two separate modems. Which is (as far as I am aware) not possible.

You can, as you describe, connect a second router to the Virgin hub, which is what the OP has already done it would seem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies!

Yes normally I would just run a Cat5 from the existing router up to a switch in the loft.

The problem is a visible cable. The house has just gone through a major refurb with all the floors up, and running cables underneath etc.

So it's not really viable to run the Cat5 extension. At least with the second box I could run the co-ax up the exterior of the house tie-wrapped to gutter down pipe.

So the second router is my preference. Should I contact VM? Or just find a man in the yellow pages to sort it all out (without telling VM)?

Thanks
  • Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is a more fundamental issue here.

Should the OP be considering running a small business on a residential internet connection?
    Forum Member
    Ahh I see from the replies that it is not possible.

Would VM want me to have a second paid account then to do this?

Or is it just 1x broadband connection/router per property?
    Forum Member
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    I think there is a more fundamental issue here.

Should the OP be considering running a small business on a residential internet connection?

I was not aware this would be an issue. How exactly would it be an issue?

Something to do with tax?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sally_jc wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies!

Yes normally I would just run a Cat5 from the existing router up to a switch in the loft.

The problem is a visible cable. The house has just gone through a major refurb with all the floors up, and running cables underneath etc.

So it's not really viable to run the Cat5 extension. At least with the second box I could run the co-ax up the exterior of the house tie-wrapped to gutter down pipe.

So the second router is my preference. Should I contact VM? Or just find a man in the yellow pages to sort it all out (without telling VM)?

Thanks
    You cannot connect two modems to the same Virgin circuit. So running the coax would not solve the problem unless you moved the one modem you do have up to the loft, which would of course disconnect the devices currently connected to it.

And just to clarify. You need a Virgin Media modem to interface with their circuits. You cannot just bung any old router on the end of the coax and hope it will work. Virgin Media are unlikely to send you a second modem unless you also order a completely separate second connection to their network.

You can get exterior grade CAT5 cable so running it outside would not be a problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are all sorts of implications for running a business from home, the broadband may be the least of them.

https://www.gov.uk/run-business-from-home
    Forum Member
    Thanks I will have a read tonight.

It will be a business conducted entirely over the internet, making financial investments, undertaken from behind my desk. There will be no customers or additional equipment, just my existing computer.

Is this likely to be an issue?

Thanks
  • Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The first, and not necessarily the most important, issue is that the Ts&Cs of the residential service do not allow business use.

Many people work from home on a residential service but that is not 'running a business'.

I think you need to take some advice on running a business from home if you have not already done so. Perhaps you should speak to your accountant?

Maybe worth a look round this site:

http://www.smallbusiness.co.uk/running-a-business/technology-in-business/2093258/business-broadband-vs-residential-broadband.thtml
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about using wifi extenders like the ones that sends it around your ring main? Wall plugs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Just typed the heading and then thought 'ooo-errr' lol but seriously, wondering if anyone can help with a quick query. Noticed something similar but different and some very knowledgable responses there so wonder if someone could point me in right direction.

Basically had Virgin Media with their superfast broadband installed. Due to the nature of the TV install, they basically ran cable into three entry points: hallway, lounge and kitchen.

The router was connected to the hallway entry point as this was deemed the best positioning point for coverage over the whole house for wifi. Separately, TiVo boxes were attached to the entry points that were installed into the lounge and kitchen. Virgin explained that if we wished we could simply disconnect their router and reconnect it at any of the other points (even kindly leaving a splitter should we wish to connect the router in an area where we also want to keep the TiVo box).

The wifi does seem best in terms of total house coverage from the hallway as this is most central part of house and we use regularly in furthest away areas from that point. At those furthest away areas however the signal is pretty poor and sometimes non-existent. Have set up an Apple capsule and Airport Express at each end to try to amplify signal and it has taken it from running at 0 - 5Mb up to 5Mb - 15Mbs , so improved albeit nowhere near the 130Mb/s + we get when standing right next to the router (or the Apple box) in the hallway. The house is very old and I guess the 10" thick walls are causing the issue. Plug socket wiring very old and poor so I guess one of those home plugs would not do any better.

So finally to our issue and question: we need the strongest/fastest signal in the lounge area (as we stream movies and work from laptop in and around this area). Obviously could move router to the entry-point Virgin installed there but then we would definitely lose all signal at the other end of house, as the router would now be about 10m further and three thick walls further away. Having <5Mb in the bedrooms etc does not work for us unfortunately...

Is there any way of utilising the second (and even third) entry points to get a stronger signal in more than just the hallway. So keep the hallway router but somehow use the entry points in lounge (and possibly kitchen) to get a full strength signal again at these points. It seems that since we have full strength broadband 'stuff' (whatever that is) in cable coming all the way to all three entry points, we just need a way to convert it into useable bandwidth at each entry point? We actually have two Virgin routers (they sent us one to keep as a back up because main one appeared temperamental for a while but then worked fine). However my understanding is that Virgin switch 'off' routers from head office so even if we plugged in the router to access point 2, that or the other router would not work? Which seems logical as it would effectively be two different broadbands and IPs etc.

I understand that I could run Cat 6 from existing hallway router to other areas but want to avoid new cabling and key is whether in any way that already installed Virgin main cable could be used thus avoiding running new cables?

Thanks in advance!

A
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're talking about using the coax cable, then no. The other Virgin routers that you have would not be able to get onto the internet, because your account is tied to whatever router they actually supplied you with.

But if you're willing to run cat5/6 from the working superhub you can do whatever you want - including using the Apple hardware as additional wifi access points (if you run a cable into the Apple unit you'll likely get great speeds).

One alternative is to use powerline networking, with one unit plugged straight into the Virgin superhub and another plugged into an access point. But it won't provide anywhere near the same quality or performance as proper cat5/6, it will probably cost more, and there are potential issues with interfering with other services so it isn't the best option.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airport Express at each end to try to amplify signal and it has taken it from running at 0 - 5Mb up to 5Mb - 15Mbs , so improved albeit nowhere near the 130Mb/s + we get when standing right next to the router

Amplify is increase in volume. not internet speed!
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    The first, and not necessarily the most important, issue is that the Ts&Cs of the residential service do not allow business use.

Many people work from home on a residential service but that is not 'running a business'.

I think you need to take some advice on running a business from home if you have not already done so. Perhaps you should speak to your accountant?

Maybe worth a look round this site:

http://www.smallbusiness.co.uk/running-a-business/technology-in-business/2093258/business-broadband-vs-residential-broadband.thtml

thats fine but do VM allow residential TV, Broadband, and phone AND business broadband at the same address on the same line?

I bet not! they didn't when I asked! was a case of business broadband but no TV, or residential broadband and tv. So I went for the latter. I dont use the internet to run a business, just a printer.
  • Chris JamesChris James Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amer_Khan wrote: »
    Just typed the heading and then thought 'ooo-errr' lol but seriously, wondering if anyone can help with a quick query. Noticed something similar but different and some very knowledgable responses there so wonder if someone could point me in right direction.

Basically had Virgin Media with their superfast broadband installed. Due to the nature of the TV install, they basically ran cable into three entry points: hallway, lounge and kitchen.

The router was connected to the hallway entry point as this was deemed the best positioning point for coverage over the whole house for wifi. Separately, TiVo boxes were attached to the entry points that were installed into the lounge and kitchen. Virgin explained that if we wished we could simply disconnect their router and reconnect it at any of the other points (even kindly leaving a splitter should we wish to connect the router in an area where we also want to keep the TiVo box).

The wifi does seem best in terms of total house coverage from the hallway as this is most central part of house and we use regularly in furthest away areas from that point. At those furthest away areas however the signal is pretty poor and sometimes non-existent. Have set up an Apple capsule and Airport Express at each end to try to amplify signal and it has taken it from running at 0 - 5Mb up to 5Mb - 15Mbs , so improved albeit nowhere near the 130Mb/s + we get when standing right next to the router (or the Apple box) in the hallway. The house is very old and I guess the 10" thick walls are causing the issue. Plug socket wiring very old and poor so I guess one of those home plugs would not do any better.

So finally to our issue and question: we need the strongest/fastest signal in the lounge area (as we stream movies and work from laptop in and around this area). Obviously could move router to the entry-point Virgin installed there but then we would definitely lose all signal at the other end of house, as the router would now be about 10m further and three thick walls further away. Having <5Mb in the bedrooms etc does not work for us unfortunately...

Is there any way of utilising the second (and even third) entry points to get a stronger signal in more than just the hallway. So keep the hallway router but somehow use the entry points in lounge (and possibly kitchen) to get a full strength signal again at these points. It seems that since we have full strength broadband 'stuff' (whatever that is) in cable coming all the way to all three entry points, we just need a way to convert it into useable bandwidth at each entry point? We actually have two Virgin routers (they sent us one to keep as a back up because main one appeared temperamental for a while but then worked fine). However my understanding is that Virgin switch 'off' routers from head office so even if we plugged in the router to access point 2, that or the other router would not work? Which seems logical as it would effectively be two different broadbands and IPs etc.

I understand that I could run Cat 6 from existing hallway router to other areas but want to avoid new cabling and key is whether in any way that already installed Virgin main cable could be used thus avoiding running new cables?

Thanks in advance!

A

I had the same problem. My Superhub (50 mbps speed) is upstairs with my computer but I wanted Wi-Fi in the lounge downstairs. Weak signal as upstairs I get nearly 50 mbps but downstairs around 5 mbps. No good for TV streaming. I have old wiring in my house (still black/red wiring!) but have connected a pair of Solwise wall plugs to carry the signal around the mains - providing both rooms are on the same ring mains (most houses are) this should work. One upstairs with the hub and the other In the lounge. Have just bought a TP-Link Wireless router (Maplins £19.99) and plugged that in to the Solwise plug in the lounge, Now speed is nearly 50 instead of 5.
  • dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually you can connect two modems to the same circuit, my neighbour and myself share one VM cable and we both have TV and broadband, also very very occasionally when I do some beta testing I can have two superhubs on at the same time, having multiple accounts at the same address could be an issue though