Options

Smells Like Teen Spirit - 20th Anniversary

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 487
Forum Member
Its been 20 years since Nirvana's amazing song ''Smells like teen spirit'' was released on Sepember 10, it would be nice if it gets back on the UK singles charts or Itunes charts :)

Can't believe this song is 20 years old now :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWKbfoikeg&ob=av3e

There was a Facebook fanpage that the song should be this years's xmas no1 which would be really cool, so much better than the X Factor crap

The album ''Nevermind'' will have a ''20th Anniversary edition'' release this month

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a331892/nirvana-nevermind-20th-anniversary-edition-to-receive-limited-release.html

The surviving members of the band will be reunited for a Q&A session with Jon Stewart on September 24

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a337165/nirvana-to-celebrate-20th-anniversary-of-nevermind-with-jon-stewart.html

Comments

• Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Has it really been 20 years? :eek:

I've always liked this song.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it so much

I love Nirvana. Would be great if their music saw a surge due to the anniversary.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Reissue, repackage, repackage, re-evaluate the songs..."

I love Nevermind and SLTS but I'm getting very fed up of the constant reissuing of albums on the flimsy pretext of an anniversary.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »

I love Nevermind and SLTS but I'm getting very fed up of the constant reissuing of albums on the flimsy pretext of an anniversary.

It can be good. The hype of it could lead to new fans.
  • Options
    johnboybetterjohnboybetter Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not sure if I should bring this up here. But did anyone see Miley's version? XD
  • Options
    too_fast_4_utoo_fast_4_u Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not sure if I should bring this up here. But did anyone see Miley's version? XD

*shoots johnboy in the head*:D
  • Options
    MindBodySoulMindBodySoul Posts: 243
    Forum Member

It was recently voted the worst cover ever by Rolling Stone readers.

I agree.:)
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Miley Cyrus covered it?! :eek::eek:

Oh dear.

*runs to youtube*
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful song from an awful album by an awful band.
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member

I guess you just haven't got what it takes to appreciate a quality, seminal album when you hear one, you have my sympathy.

Now run along and listen to your new Dolly Parton album.
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    I guess you just haven't got what it takes to appreciate a quality, seminal album when you hear one, you have my sympathy.

Now run along and listen to your new Dolly Parton album.

I have and it's great. :)
  • Options
    akhenatenakhenaten Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GREAT song from a GREAT album by an GREAT band.
  • Options
    Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realised recently that it's similar to Bosten- More than a feeling.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We all know about your music taste, Chris. I don't think your opinion counts for much, sorry. ;)

It's a great song by a very good band, albeit a massively overrated band. There's always the debate about whether Nirvana did more damage than good to the rock scene - the truth, as always, is somewhere in between, but in recent years I have warmed to their legacy. Yes, they spawned a whole host of identikit post-grunge dirges, but at the same time, they were a lot better than the glam rock which dominated the 80s. If rock didn't evolve, it risked losing it's relevance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Gaspanic! wrote: »

Lol me too :) realised it two days ago when I saw the SLTS performance on YT where they played MTAF first :)
  • Options
    TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaspanic! wrote: »

I remember when Nevermind and Teen Spirit were out reading or watching an interview with Kurt where he mentioned that Teen Spirit is basically the exact same riff as More Than A Feeling but also Louie Louie as well.

20 years though. I feel old. I shall now spend the day with pipe and slippers telling war stories.
    Desert Storm obviously.
  • Options
    mark_bmark_b Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to see Nirvana on the Nevermind tour at the Birmingham Hummingbird with my sister. It was one of the first proper gigs I ever went to. I would have been 16. Smells Like Teen Spirit had just that week gone into the top 10 singles chart.

It had a massive impact on me and changed my tastes in music - before then I was listening to Guns 'n' Roses, Bon Jovi et al!

I saw them again the following year at the 1992 Reading Festival. Another great show!
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mark_b wrote: »
    I went to see Nirvana on the Nevermind tour at the Birmingham Hummingbird with my sister. It was one of the first proper gigs I ever went to. I would have been 16. Smells Like Teen Spirit had just that week gone into the top 10 singles chart.

It had a massive impact on me and changed my tastes in music - before then I was listening to Guns 'n' Roses, Bon Jovi et al!

I saw them again the following year at the 1992 Reading Festival. Another great show!

Don't think it's really fair to group GNR in with the rest of the hair metal acts. They had far more in common with the likes of The Rolling Stones and (early) Aerosmith than Poison or Motley Crue.

Although having said that, Cobain hated them, mainly because of Axl.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »

The £100 6 disc version with 5.1 remix, live versions, demo versions, studio out-takes, single b-sides, a book of photos, replica tour pass, scarf, T-shirt, marbles, tuning forks, etc?

You love it really.
  • Options
    PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh wow, This is almost my story, the only difference is didn't see them at Birmingham but did go to Reading I was 14 and I too was listening to G'n'R, Bon Jovi etc. and Nevermind changed everything for me. Funny I was at Reading again this year and they screened the 92 set, there was a producer there who interviewed me about what Nevermind meant to me as
    a teenager when it came out, which apparently will be packaged in a DVD with the 20th anniversary release.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Great post Mark, that's what music is about for me, and when you are younger it has even more impact.

Bruce Springsteen 1975 at the Hammersmith Odeon did it for me.

At least it cured you of Bon Jovi.

I was also at that Reading.
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I remember how original it was when it first came out. I remember thinking I had never heard anything like this before.
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    One of the blokes I was sharing a house with at the time went to the Birmingham Hummingbird gig, I didn't go as I didnt think Nirvana were that much of a big deal at the time. There have been many times since that I've thought I probably should have gone. :D

I do remember Smells Like Teen Spirit starting to get played in Edwards No 8 in Birmingham and at the time it wasn't that different to a lot of the other stuff that had been around previously. The big difference though is that for whatever reason, Nirvana broke through in to the mainstream whereas previous bands hadn't - I think the main factor in this was MTV picking it up.
  • Options
    LostInTheShadowLostInTheShadow Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Ace album. Played it all the time in my school days. Nirvana and Soundgarden were what got me through those years, and both were my favourite bands at the time. Something in the Way and Come As You Are are my favourite songs from Nevermind.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coen wrote: »
    I do remember Smells Like Teen Spirit starting to get played in Edwards No 8 in Birmingham and at the time it wasn't that different to a lot of the other stuff that had been around previously. The big difference though is that for whatever reason, Nirvana broke through in to the mainstream whereas previous bands hadn't - I think the main factor in this was MTV picking it up.

Yes I think the constant rotation on MTV really made Teen Spirit. At the time it was getting a lot of airplay along with other records by Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam etc. but Teen Spirit really stood out, something about the simplicity of them playing the song in a smoky hall in front of a crowd of college kids (and a janitor!) like they were amateurs performing at an after-school club or something, Kurt looking like he was loving and hating it in equal measure and Dave thrashing at the drums like Animal from the Muppets. It was quite mesmerising (underpinned by the almost metronomic swaying of the janitor with his mop and bucket).