Options

Theresa Riggi child killer found dead at Rampton Secure Hospital.

Comments

• Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    radyag wrote: »
    Why not? The liberals tried to protect her by sending her to england, thankfully shes dead and the liberals have lost, its a win win for society.

Not really, as your post just proved.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see what purpose is served by gloating over this woman's death.
    Well, it does show what sort of unpleasant attitudes some people have (I know OP has pulled back so not the OP) so it has that purpose, for what it's worth, I guess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    While in Cornton Vale prison she was attacked several times. On one occasion she had a very bad injury when her face was slashed. The person who did it got off with it as Riggi was mentally unable to give evidence. Her condition deteriorated and that why she was moved to Rampton.

Women who have harmed children always tend to have a rough time in prison. A lot of prisoners miss their own children desperately and really hate anyone who has hurt a child. Human nature being what it is, I doubt whether the prison officers are always cooing turtle doves either if someone has killed three young children.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I can understand people's anger and revulsion towards this woman, she was clearly mentally ill and, for me, the great tragedy was that the extent of her illness was not discovered in time to save those poor children.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    While in Cornton Vale prison she was attacked several times. On one occasion she had a very bad injury when her face was slashed. The person who did it got off with it as Riggi was mentally unable to give evidence. Her condition deteriorated and that why she was moved to Rampton.

She was transferred from Cornton Vale to the medium security Orchard Clinic in the grounds of the Royal Edinburgh Hospital in late 2011. She was transferred to Rampton in the spring of 2012 as there is no longer any high security hospital provision for female patients in Scotland.

I was a patient in Redwood ward at the Orchard Clinic at the same time as she was there. She was under constant observation with a nurse always shadowing her. A group of us which included Theresa took to playing poker into the late nights and she was one hell of a poker player. She actually looked out for me at a point over Christmas when I was in a bad state owing to my meds failing to prevent a relapse into an extremely bad mixed-state bipolar psychosis.

After she was transferred to Rampton, I got a couple of letters from her and stayed in touch with her for a bit.

What she did was terrible, but when you actually know a person and interact with them on a daily basis as a fellow human being it's very difficult to consider them evil.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rev9of8 wrote: »
    What she did was terrible, but when you actually know a person and interact with them on a daily basis as a fellow human being it's very difficult to consider them evil.

I'm sure that's true. I hope things go well for you.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

According to the DM that person is awaiting trial but someone who allegedly pushed Riggi down stairs that got off with it.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    According to the DM that person is awaiting trial but someone who allegedly pushed Riggi down stairs that got off with it.

I read it in the Record. I suppose there will be no court case now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was transferred from Cornton Vale to the medium security Orchard Clinic in the grounds of the Royal Edinburgh Hospital in late 2011. She was transferred to Rampton in the spring of 2012 as there is no longer any high security hospital provision for female patients in Scotland.

I was a patient in Redwood ward at the Orchard Clinic at the same time as she was there. She was under constant observation with a nurse always shadowing her. A group of us which included Theresa took to playing poker into the late nights and she was one hell of a poker player. She actually looked out for me at a point over Christmas when I was in a bad state owing to my meds failing to prevent a relapse into an extremely bad mixed-state bipolar psychosis.

After she was transferred to Rampton, I got a couple of letters from her and stayed in touch with her for a bit.

Thanks for posting this.
    I hope you are in a better place. Good luck.
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope she is in a better place. It must be awful to want to die so much that you try to kill yourself so many times. Yes she did a truly horrific thing to her 3 children and will have ruined the lives of both the families of her and her ex husband but things may have been totally different if she was given the help she so obviously needed. I hope things go well for you rev9.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In his summing up the judge said he felt she killed her kids because she loved them too much, considering the hideous violence that must have gone on in that flat as she chased the three kids with a knife, I found his statement utterly appalling >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In his summing up the judge said he felt she killed her kids because she loved them too much, considering the hideous violence that must have gone on in that flat as she chased the three kids with a knife, I found his statement utterly appalling >:(

Did she chase them? Surely if she had they would have been screaming and the neighbours would have heard and went to check what was going on?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to see how some on here are sympathetic, the bloke who chucked his kids off a fourth floor balcony in Greece killing one and jumping off after them pretty much got no sympathy whatsoever, even though he was committed straight to a psychiatric hospital :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uffa wrote: »
    Did she chase them? Surely if she had they would have been screaming and the neighbours would have heard and went to check what was going on?

I doubt they just sat there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt they just sat there.

They may have been sleeping or doped up with medication?
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder why the judge sent her to prison for her offence and not immediately to a secure mental hospital?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    I wonder why the judge sent her to prison for her offence and not immediately to a secure mental hospital?

Because physciatists found that she was NOT mentally ill, ok so she went nuts but who wouldn't after what she had to live with, so all the 'oh but she was ill' apologists on here have totally misplaced sympathies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because physciatists found that she was NOT mentally ill, ok so she went nuts but who wouldn't after what she had to live with, so all the 'oh but she was ill' apologists on here have totally misplaced sympathies.

Goodness. Being sent to prison is not evidence that someone has been 'found that they were NOT mentally ill' or prisons would be two-thirds empty. The bar for not being sent to prison is set extremely high: you not only have to demostrate that you have a serious mental illness, but that you were incapable of understanding what you were doing. Few people qualify; a lot more are transferred from prison to secure psychiatric units once it has been seen that they are not coping with prison.

Killing your children then trying to kill yourself is not like an armed robbery. It is hard to think of any 'sane' motive, don't you think? What do you think the difference is between 'going nuts' (which you accept that she did) and being mentally ill, which you say she was not?
  • Options
    jackie_Fletcherjackie_Fletcher Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She had personality disorders but wasn't mentally ill. She even tried to cover up what she did by blaming it on a gas explosion so she definately knew right from wrong.

She was in a bitter custody battle with her husband for the children and it looks like she did it purely out of spite. She even told a friend that her story will hit the headlines in a few days time.

She deserved all she got.
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Interesting to see how some on here are sympathetic, the bloke who chucked his kids off a fourth floor balcony in Greece killing one and jumping off after them pretty much got no sympathy whatsoever, even though he was committed straight to a psychiatric hospital :confused:

I think it varies from case to case but by and large the pitchfork mob (at least I didn't say 'brigade'!) will be out for anyone who kills, especially if it's a kid or a soldier or an animal that dies. Individual circumstances are often overlooked, and people are frequently lumped into the exact same box regardless of these aforementioned circumstances.

I'll hold my hands up and say I don't know enough about this case to make a properly informed judgement on her, but merely point out that for me, each case is totally independent and different and I would certainly view those (not talking about this case per se) who had mental illness (and again this can vary hugely) slightly differently to those that didn't IF it was shown that the mental illness directly affected what they did.

It's the old 'mad vs bad' type thing I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    I think it varies from case to case but by and large the pitchfork mob (at least I didn't say 'brigade'!) will be out for anyone who kills, especially if it's a kid or a soldier or an animal that dies. Individual circumstances are often overlooked, and people are frequently lumped into the exact same box regardless of these aforementioned circumstances.

I'll hold my hands up and say I don't know enough about this case, but merely point out that for me, each case is totally independent and different and I would certainly view those (not talking about this case per se) who had mental illness (and again this can vary hugely) slightly differently to those that didn't IF it was shown that the mental illness directly affected what happened.

It's the old mad vs bad type thing I guess.

Good and thoughtful post.
    This terrible and deeply tragic case encapsulates our ignorance and intolerance of mental illness.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thank you for that insight.

Best wishes for your recovery.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I can understand people's anger and revulsion towards this woman, she was clearly mentally ill and, for me, the great tragedy was that the extent of her illness was not discovered in time to save those poor children.

Couldn't say it better myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodness. Being sent to prison is not evidence that someone has been 'found that they were NOT mentally ill' or prisons would be two-thirds empty. The bar for not being sent to prison is set extremely high: you not only have to demostrate that you have a serious mental illness, but that you were incapable of understanding what you were doing. Few people qualify; a lot more are transferred from prison to secure psychiatric units once it has been seen that they are not coping with prison.

Killing your children then trying to kill yourself is not like an armed robbery. It is hard to think of any 'sane' motive, don't you think? What do you think the difference is between 'going nuts' (which you accept that she did) and being mentally ill, which you say she was not?

She was assessed and interviewed by a qualified psychiatrist who found her not to be mentally ill, she became mentally ill months later after clearly not being able to come to terms with what she did, according to your assessment anyone who kills a child MUST be mentaly ill as it's not the action of a sane person, so Brady and Huntley should be forgiven also as they weren't responsible for their actions?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was assessed and interviewed by a qualified psychiatrist who found her not to be mentally ill, she became mentally ill months later after clearly not being able to come to terms with what she did, according to your assessment anyone who kills a child MUST be mentaly ill as it's not the action of a sane person, so Brady and Huntley should be forgiven also as they weren't responsible for their actions?

Brady and Huntley were totally different to parents who kill their own children while at the end of their tether over some family stress.