Where can I find a cheap bike to ride to work on? Help appreciated.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi, I've become so annoyed at the price of bus passes that I no longer want to use the service. £13 a week just to use a bus seems ridiculous when after a month or two I would have recouped the money from buying a bike by not spending it on bus passes. I would rather brave the weather in the coming months than use the bus.

So I need your help!

Do you know of anywhere that I can get a really good but cheap men's mountain or road bike?

Budget is £90-120 I can't really afford anything more than that.

Links appreciated, cheers people!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't used buses regularly since my teens but I went travelling and in the run up to being away, I decided to sell my car.

The idea was to save some money. After a week, I really really missed my car.

It is £2 just to get into town (and then £2 back). I don't think I saved much at all and the convenience factor drops too much for me. Quickly decided I'm a car person.

For your bike, I would suggest, Halfords, Cash Converters (and the like) for used ones, and China.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Halfords.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Second hand will be your best bet on that budget. Try Gumtree.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also check if your employer is taking part in the ride to work scheme as they may partially fund a bike.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    For that money I would consider 2nd hand if you want anything half decent. I'm not even sure you can get a bike in ToysRUs brand new for that price.
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Consider Decathlon if there is one near you.

Unless you need it for a specific route or style of riding, which I doubt you do, I suggest you avoid any sort of suspension. Keep it simple, with the value going into the basic components, not an unneccessary suspension.

Edit. If you say where you are, someone with local knowledge may be able to point you in the direction of a shop they would recommend. Also, some of the smaller ones may do second hand also.

Near us there is a small team which reconditions an sells bikes. There might be something near you. Maybe an online search might throw up something, or a local cycling group or forum, where you can ask for local knowledge. Or do you know anyone who already cycles?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TescoJeans wrote: »
    Hi, I've become so annoyed at the price of bus passes that I no longer want to use the service. £13 a week just to use a bus seems ridiculous when after a month or two I would have recouped the money from buying a bike by not spending it on bus passes. I would rather brave the weather in the coming months than use the bus.

So I need your help!

Do you know of anywhere that I can get a really good but cheap men's mountain or road bike?

Budget is £90-120 I can't really afford anything more than that.

Links appreciated, cheers people!

Look at the for sale ads in your local free paper. You can often get a barely used bike for next to nothing that way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am in Manchester by the way if anybody knows of anything there. Cheers
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want something decent then second hand. Gumtree as has been mentioned and I'd also mention those local Facebook groups where people sell stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    For that kind of budget you won't get anything more than Chinese crap that will fall apart after two weeks (including that cheap Halfords one) . Look for a second hand 80s or 90s steel rigid mountain bike and put some semi-slick tyres on it. Just make sure the frame is sound and the wheels turn and get it serviced if it needs it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am reading your comments guys, cheers by the way.

So far I've posted in two Facebook groups, looked on halfords and decathlon. I've found a mens mountain bike for £100 on halfords. It's not bad but I'll keep looking to see what I can get.
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am on my 7th week of cycling to work - must have saved over £200
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TescoJeans wrote: »
    I am reading your comments guys, cheers by the way.

So far I've posted in two Facebook groups, looked on halfords and decathlon. I've found a mens mountain bike for £100 on halfords. It's not bad but I'll keep looking to see what I can get.

It will be false economy. I agree with buying second hand. You'll get a far better quality bike for the same price.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Facebook
    Ebay
    Card in local newsagent
    card in local supermarket
    Local paper
    Freecycle
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Libitina wrote: »
    It will be false economy. I agree with buying second hand. You'll get a far better quality bike for the same price.

I agree with this. I made the mistake of getting a £100 bike from Halfords. While they are ok for occasional use, they cannot stand up to the mileage that regular commuting will put on it.

In the 10 months or so I owned this bike the wheel bent, the spokes snapped, the pedal broke off, both tyres wore out, and the whole crank needed replaced. Also the gear changes were never smooth and it was a steel frame so heavy for going up hills.

After this time I bought a £300 Specialized bike which gave me no problems and was aluminium so nice and light. The ride quality was like day and night.

So to echo others, avoid a cheap bike. If you can't afford much try to get a second hand quality bike instead.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Car Boot sales, I have bought my grandkids some smashing bikes, including BMXs for £5-£10.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or see if your local area has a Bike Rescue scheme. We have a brilliant one in York - they rescue bikes from dumps etc or people donate them, they fettle them right back up to standard (training mechanics in the process), then sell them. Most of them well under £100. The point of that is, you know the bike will work; the gears are adjusted, any dead parts replaced...

One of my sons got a Ridgeback MX for £50 there the same as my other son got new for about £350... (a bike service alone might cost you £50 and if you bought a bike from a car boot/charity shop/small ad unless you know a lot about bikes, you might not know if it's safe - cracks on the frame, dodgy forks, etc could lead to an accident). My grown up son got a vintage Raleigh Richmond - a really classy looking bike with a Reynolds frame. I got a top spec Raleigh Special Products Division (ie handbuilt) bike, once, too. Forget the price but it was around £50. It is a lovely bike but to the casual thief looks like a 1980s Raleigh - ie: not worth nicking. But it's handbuilt and beautiful! I've seen Treks, Claud Butlers, you name it in there. Much better than a Halfords Bike Shaped Object.

A lot of cities now have similar community based projects. Well worth supporting.

ETA: Forgot to say but beware of Gumtree and eBay - full of stolen bikes, sites like that. If I was tempted by a bike on such a site I'd ask to see the original receipt and scour the bike forums' 'stolen' boards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The decent bikes in Halfords are some of the Carreras and the Boardman bikes. The rest are what cyclists call 'BSOs', ie: Bike Shaped Objects.

That's not just snobbery. They really do sell some unrideable bikes that will put you off riding for life. (Slow, heavy, clunky, like walking through treacle). I have a Cannondale CX - that is, as others say, like night and day the difference between riding a Halfords Special (unless it's one of the top end Carreras/Boardmans) and a decent bike. For commuting you might want a hybrid - but you might also want a vintage road bike (racer) or a vintage tourer (something like an old Dawes). As others say, secondhand you get a lot more bang for your buck. Before you buy, see if you can try different styles of bike so you know whether you want an upright riding position (hybrid, tourer) or dropped handlebars. Mountain Bikes make slow commuters with their big, grippy tyres. A hybrid rolls a lot faster on tarmac.
  • Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheap bikes don't last long especially if your regularly commuting and are uncomfortable to ride due to them being heavy. Then you've got to think about what you're gonna wear when the weather changes I'd spend at least £100 on clothing, you want to be comfortable on your ride to work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to mention the bum agony of a cheap stock saddle on a bad bike.
  • Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then there's the breaking system I'd never use anything else after having hydraulic discs, so much better in the wet an quite easy to maintain.
  • SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Go on ebay and search for bikes within a 5-10 mile radius of your location.

I bought a bike this week, a £300 Raleigh that someone had bought on a whim and never used, I got it for £90. So there are bargains to be had, you just need to look.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a look at the cycle to work scheme that was set up by the government. Some of you have suggested it. It sounded like a good idea but after reading it carefully it just seems like a more risky way of buying a bike because you're entering a contract with your employer and you'll either have the amount (cost of bike) deducted in full at the end of the financial year or monthly payments will be taken to reimburse your employer. I'd rather buy the bike in full than have all of that hassle.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    second hand seems like a good option, but I agree that going cheap may not be your best option, using a bike 5 days a weeks, is going to show quickly on a cheap bike, so try and get a good quality one.