XF loses a million viewers, beaten by Strictly. Why have ratings dropped once again?

Comments

• len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The acts are average plain and simple , the remaining audience have either readjusted their standards to take this into account or don't really care how bad it is any more . People have moved on .
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    I do not think in the modern age you can count ratings by the numbers watching in live time.

I know that a lot of people like me that enjoy both Strictly and X Factor, will watch Strictly whilst recording X Factor.Once Strictly is over we watch the X Factor from our recording enabling us to fast forward through the adverts and then catching up in real time before the end of the show.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there are many reasons. But the main one is that I think it takes itself far too seriously now. In contrast Strictly is much easier and fun to watch. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than cheesy, camp nonsense.

Last year I'd watch Strictly with a smile on my face, then I'd switch onto the X Factor and my mood would just crash righ down. It thinks its far more important than it actually is, it's way too hyped now. Also the Strictly judges are nicer. Craig is like how Simon was before he disappeared up his own behind. Scathingly bitchy, but without being unkind or nasty for the sake of it.

I find there is a nasty vibe around the X Factor now. I didn't like the way Christopher Maloney was treated by the judges last year and felt that they showed a distinct lack of respect towards the voting public. The whole programme is now one great big way of feeding Simon's out of control ego. The judges are so far up their masters behind that if he asked them all to jump off a cliff they probably would.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite the tweaks to the format it is getting stale now. Same old, sob stories, blatantly set up parts, people who have auditioned 3 and 4 times (twice should be the max), the amount of 1D wannabes with style over talent and the thought, that all of it is just more money in the bank for SC.
    Also as some have said seeing people singing twice at the weekend bit boring.

Agreed 100%
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the format of having the same people on twice in a row. Why not do the room auditions first, then the arenas instead of jumping back and forth? Or better yet, DITCH THE ARENAS!
  • CosyaCosya Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melanie McCabe being on it yet again!!!!!
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »

According to DS that's a top source. :D
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the main things I don't like about the new X Factor is the judging panel; not because of anyone in particular, but because of the overall dynamic of the panel. I know Simon, Cheryl and Dannii left seemingly of their own accord (although in Dannii's case, something tells me she was given the sack), and the debates as to the musical knowledge of the judges (i.e. Cheryl) was under debate, but that judging panel had something that made them worth watching, if you know what I mean.

Even though I like the chemistry of this panel, more than I liked the chemistry between 'the peak years panel' - what I realised this weekend whilst watching the show is that simply: - I don't care what any of the judges are saying!!

This to me, is what the problem is.

No-one has the 'Simon Cowell effect' on the panel. You essentially have a panel of Louis' and Cheryls; People who are nice, but offer absolutely nothing insightful. Don't get me wrong, they had a place on the show, but I was never looking forward to what either said after a performance, I couldn't have cared less - it was all about what Simon thought imo and that's what is missing.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nicole (she's a brilliant mentor) but neither her, Gary, Louis or Sharon have the presence that Simon Cowell has. The one judge people want to impress; the one who the audience wants to hear. There's nobody who fills that role on the show, and I genuinely believe we'd have the same problem if it was a panel with Louis, Gary, Cheryl and Dannii.

There's no Simon. Pure and simple.

For example I love the BGT panel - but I wouldn't want to watch a show with just David, Amanda and Alesha. Sure they are very entertaining together, but you still need a good judge that you want to hear the opinion of.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch it on ITV +1 on Saturday as an afterthought.
    Some used to watch for the nutters and deluded people until the "serious" bit got going, this year with double programs its all a bit of a mish mash.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's become predictable. And dragging people back from past series is desperate. Louis has thrown his weight behind Melanie so we can expect a full blown campaign to make her win. And she wont because the British pubic hate being told what to do.
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    I hate the new format. I do like XF and I do like Strictly but XF has begun to lug behind for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Although strictly and X factor both have samey formats, I think strictlys is more honest. XF relies too much on the sob stories etc and I think that's wearing thin.
  • gemhudgemhud Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    Even though I like the chemistry of this panel, more than I liked the chemistry between 'the peak years panel' - what I realised this weekend whilst watching the show is that simply: - I don't care what any of the judges are saying!!

This to me, is what the problem is.

No-one has the 'Simon Cowell effect' on the panel. You essentially have a panel of Louis' and Cheryls; People who are nice, but offer absolutely nothing insightful. Don't get me wrong, they had a place on the show, but I was never looking forward to what either said after a performance, I couldn't have cared less - it was all about what Simon thought imo and that's what is missing. .

Don't get me wrong, I love Nicole (she's a brilliant mentor) but neither her, Gary, Louis or Sharon have the presence that Simon Cowell has. The one judge people want to impress; the one who the audience wants to hear. There's nobody who fills that role on the show, and I genuinely believe we'd have the same problem if it was a panel with Louis, Gary, Cheryl and Dannii.

There's no Simon. Pure and simple.

For example I love the BGT panel - but I wouldn't want to watch a show with just David, Amanda and Alesha. Sure they are very entertaining together, but you still need a good judge that you want to hear the opinion of.
    Cheryl simon and Louis had banter with each other they laughed, cried, argued with each other Nicole and gary are too serious in the auditions leave that to the live finals
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Its just mainly the teeny boppers that are into it now I think, the way the show was edited last year in the beginning made it feel like TOWIE.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only sob story Strictly has is someone with a cold or a sore foot, probably due to them being celebrities.
    I prefer it to the X Factor though as its about learning a skill rather than pushing karaoke singers who in a lot of cases haven't gone through the hard graft route.
    Yet I still watch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #1 reason why I like Strictly better is because it's on the BBC and I frickin' love that channel.

All joking aside though... When I hear Strictly is coming back I get so excited, though when I hear X Factor is coming back I just think to myself "Oh, will they ever just give that show up". I think it's because Strictly gives something different every week, the judges are funnier and it's great to see improvement week by week. With x factor, it's just sob story after sob story and the artists normally peak in their audition and that's it.
  • ShAneOmaC2005ShAneOmaC2005 Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too samey for xfactor unfortunately. Even same contestants to an extent it is no suprise they re losing ratings.
  • freeshatfreeshat Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Cosya wrote: »
    Melanie McCabe being on it yet again!!!!!

And Jade.

They may as well just repeat last years XFactor. :mad:

People are bored with untalented singing shows.

Simples. :D
  • AMS13AMS13 Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there are many reasons. But the main one is that I think it takes itself far too seriously now. In contrast Strictly is much easier and fun to watch. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than cheesy, camp nonsense.

Last year I'd watch Strictly with a smile on my face, then I'd switch onto the X Factor and my mood would just crash righ down. It thinks its far more important than it actually is, it's way too hyped now. Also the Strictly judges are nicer. Craig is like how Simon was before he disappeared up his own behind. Scathingly bitchy, but without being unkind or nasty for the sake of it.

I find there is a nasty vibe around the X Factor now. I didn't like the way Christopher Maloney was treated by the judges last year and felt that they showed a distinct lack of respect towards the voting public. The whole programme is now one great big way of feeding Simon's out of control ego. The judges are so far up their masters behind that if he asked them all to jump off a cliff they probably would.

Good post and totally agree. Stopped watching after 2010, owing to over reliance on media manipulation Besides it was a waste of time voting, when the runners up ended up with better promotion, marketing and contracts than the winner. Makes a mockery of the public votes that is essential to generate finance from the phone vote. Occasionally lurk on site for posts like this.
  • tawetawe Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am an X.Factor fan and always enjoy the programme because I prefere to watch a singing programme and not a dancing programme , I would prefere to see Simon back on the panal because he is Mr X.Factor and no one can replace him no matter how many times they try.
    I just can't abide watching Bruce Forsyth so dont watch any of Strictly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show is losing viewers because it trots that same old same old each year and a lot of people are sick of watching that same tired old tat each year. The fact that one of the 'favorites' at the moment is a 3 time failed auditionee just serves to prove a point. IMO the show contributes nothing to the music industry despite being a show about music.
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Must we get a weekly press release, Samuel? For someone that doesn't watch the show you're spending an alarming amount of time on this forum. ;)

It's week two, a shorter show with 10 minutes of it overlapping with Strictly and a lead-in that barely scraped 2m... it was always going to be down. Yes, it's a bit more than might have been ideal but at least it's holding a lot steadier year on year than 2012 did and a slight increase next week could put it back on level pegging.

Agree. Samuel seems more obsessed with the show than many of the fans. :D Ratings are about what I expected them to be this year. Last year was fairly poor and ratings for a lot of shows in general seem down this year - apart from last night's Strictly of course. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I've watched XF since the start but I'm one of the people who didn't tune in this year.

I'm not sure if it's the same for the others, but my reason is simply the frustration with too many joke acts. Every year it's frustrating enough that they get through, but then every week we have to listen to them being praised up as the second coming while more talented acts are sent home. I'm always up for a laugh, but they take it too far for too long every year - and every year it gets worse. The bad joke that is Chris Malony was the last straw last year, He sang bad, was cheesy, he wasn't even funny and not many people enjoy seeing a nasty personality do well in any show. It got to the point where I just switched off and didn't bother to watch the last few shows.

I'm not even interested in the auditions anymore, I don't want to see some 80 year old playing the triangle being told he could win, or the next fame hungry katie weasel being told she's the next Madonna. It's disappoining when you see someone with amazing 'raw' talent singing for the first time who works as [insert mundane job] with a sob story ...only to read later that they've had a record contract, toured with [insert huge star] and been performing to crowds for last 20 years while happily dating [insert XF VIP]

I may switch on later if read something like "Wow XF has really changed this year - No more terrible joke acts!" But I'm not holding my breath. :(
  • felpcalibasfelpcalibas Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    sherriesim wrote: »
    I've watched XF since the start but I'm one of the people who didn't tune in this year.

I'm not sure if it's the same for the others, but my reason is simply the frustration with too many joke acts. Every year it's frustrating enough that they get through, but then every week we have to listen to them being praised up as the second coming while more talented acts are sent home. I'm always up for a laugh, but they take it too far for too long every year - and every year it gets worse. The bad joke that is Chris Malony was the last straw last year, He sang bad, was cheesy, he wasn't even funny and not many people enjoy seeing a nasty personality do well in any show. It got to the point where I just switched off and didn't bother to watch the last few shows.

I'm not even interested in the auditions anymore, I don't want to see some 80 year old playing the triangle being told he could win, or the next fame hungry katie weasel being told she's the next Madonna. It's disappoining when you see someone with amazing 'raw' talent singing for the first time who works as [insert mundane job] with a sob story ...only to read later that they've had a record contract, toured with [insert huge star] and been performing to crowds for last 20 years while happily dating [insert XF VIP]

I may switch on later if read something like "Wow XF has really changed this year - No more terrible joke acts!" But I'm not holding my breath. :(

from spoilers I dont think we'll have joke acts in the lives
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    X Factor only comes alive during the Live shows.

Which is when I usually switch off.
    If I do watch, it is on record and fast forward.
    Cannot abide the staged tripe and the audience who would scream if a cat strolled across the stage.
    Another reason XF is losing votes is dragging out the same faces and fixing it for them to get through.
    They really think the audience is stupid and most of the time, we prove them right