Options

Which is the worst Scottish MOR rock band?

Comments

• Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ally_Bowie wrote: »
    Also do Garbage count as a Scottish act? I think Shirley Manson is one of our best performers alongside Eurythmics era Annie Lennox (Who hails from my area Garthdee in Aberdeen)

Garbage are pretty much an American band - Shirley hails from Scotland but I don't think you could class the music they produced as Scottish. Her two previous bands 'Goodbye Mr McKenzie' and 'Angelfish' however are pure Scottish acts.

As an aside Garbages first two albums were fantastic - it's a shame aside from the odd song that they haven't been able to replicate it since.
  • Options
    Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ally_Bowie wrote: »
    As a Scot, ive never been thrilled with our musical output, a few of Texas singles were alright, as were Travis, but nothing for me has hit me as WOW!! Although Fairground Attractions "Perfect" is a quite a cute little pop song.

Also do Garbage count as a Scottish act? I think Shirley Manson is one of our best performers alongside Eurythmics era Annie Lennox (Who hails from my area Garthdee in Aberdeen)

Belle and Sebastian say hello. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under Soul wrote: »
    Belle and Sebastian say hello. :)

As do Camera Obscura.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    I not sure they are worst than Travis but Runrig have made about 100 utterly boring albums.

Blimey, there's a blast from the past. I saw them at the Reading Festival in 1988.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please can The Proclaimers be temporarily classed as a rock band, just so that I can say how much I hate them?
  • Options
    MiHMiH Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Travis are/were a very good band it just became fashionable to knock. Don't deserve a mention on this thread at all IMO.

Wet Wet Wet or Texas for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MiH wrote: »
    Travis are/were a very good band it just became fashionable to knock.

Most of the time bands become fashionable to knock because they aren't very good. Travis I personally found utterly inoffensive and their music completely failed to stir any passion or emotion - same with Keane.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Garbage are pretty much an American band - Shirley hails from Scotland but I don't think you could class the music they produced as Scottish. Her two previous bands 'Goodbye Mr McKenzie' and 'Angelfish' however are pure Scottish acts.

As an aside Garbages first two albums were fantastic - it's a shame aside from the odd song that they haven't been able to replicate it since.

Interesting what would you class as 'Scottish' music.....music produced by a Scottish band or music about Scotland? Or maybe music that sounds Scottish? Like Big Country. Do Biffy Clyro sound Scottish?

Do a 'Scottish' band don't have to produce music that sounds Scottish?
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »

Do a 'Scottish' band don't have to produce music that sounds Scottish?

Sorry, don't understand the question? ;-)
  • Options
    JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Texas, Del Amitri or Deacon Blue?

I cant stand any of them, but the one that irks me the most are Deacon Blue, closely followed by Texas. Del Amitri are so inoffensively bland they barely exist at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Interesting what would you class as 'Scottish' music.....music produced by a Scottish band or music about Scotland? Or maybe music that sounds Scottish? Like Big Country. Do Biffy Clyro sound Scottish?

Do a 'Scottish' band have to produce music that sounds Scottish?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I

Not at all...but for me the best Scottish bands and musicians have a certain...something...the aforementioned don't do it for me.

Try The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Nazareth, Frankie Miller
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just mean that Garbage was created by Butch Vig, Steve Marker & Duke Ericson - all American's. One of them happened to catch a video of Shirleys then current band 'Angelfish' on MTV and they invited her over and she auditioned for the role of lead singer. The albums were written, recorded and produced in America - Shirley lived over there for a while - etc.... I don't really think they can be classed as a Scottish band. Her previous bands though are certainly Scottish 'Goodbye Mr McKenzie (even charted in the late 80's with a song called 'The Rattler') and 'Angelfish' as they were created in Scotland, toured and were influenced by the local scene etc....

You wouldn't call Metallica a Danish band just because Lars is Danish - or U2 English because of Adam.
  • Options
    Leanne_Blake1Leanne_Blake1 Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Yep, that's the one.
    Stuff like "Shame On You", "Steal Your Fire" and "Taking On The World" are absolute classics. Then we got the 'telephone number' album.

Absolutely loved Gun, saw them about 4 or 5 times. Taking On The World was a great album.
  • Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »
    Try The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

But why did that guitarist (a talented one) insist on dressing up as a clown? Looked bloody scary -I hate clowns
  • Options
    Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone expand on the idea of Glasgow being the home of so many bland, 'anthemic' singalong-type bands? Why this would be the case?

Is there an 'everybodys an entertainer' vibe like you might get in Liverpool? Where, instead of humour, it's more about fist-pumping arena rock-pop? Is there an element of escapism, at least in the head of a lot of these musicians?

IMO the gradual movement of Simple MInds from being post punk art rock to a huge stadium band is important here ( as if they led the way, so to speak, for others to follow)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone expand on the idea of Glasgow being the home of so many bland, 'anthemic' singalong-type bands? Why this would be the case?

Is there an 'everybodys an entertainer' vibe like you might get in Liverpool? Where, instead of humour, it's more about fist-pumping arena rock-pop? Is there an element of escapism, at least in the head of a lot of these musicians?

IMO the gradual movement of Simple MInds from being post punk art rock to a huge stadium band is important here ( as if they led the way, so to speak, for others to follow)

I don' think there is a short answer to that. In fact there is probably a thesis worth in the answer.

I come from Belfast which has cultural and historical similarities to Glasgow. Belfast built an alternative music culture in response to The Troubles but our greatest musician Van Morrison only writes about Belfast as nostalgia and is basically being escapist by harping back to his youth.

As I said earlier I think Deacon Blue draw their music from jazz and pop but with at least their first album ('Raintown') they sang about where they were from and there is some anger in the words. The music may be mellow, may be escapist but the lyrics aren't.

Someone above was quite disparaging about The Proclaimers but they have sung about the beauty of Scotland and the sadness of the Scottish diaspora in popular song, what more can an artist do?

(I'm a Simple Minds fan but I recognise they changed from an experimental band into trying to be U2 and it didn't quite come off).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Jackapple wrote: »
    I cant stand any of them, but the one that irks me the most are Deacon Blue, closely followed by Texas. Del Amitri are so inoffensively bland they barely exist at all.

I don't find Del Amitri bland at all, they have so many distinctive songs.

I never tire of hearing them even now, and if I've had a particularly bad day, they are usually the first thing I want to listen to. It's real feel good music for me, or feel better at any rate.

It always seems that any band that values melody and has wistful, poignant, sometimes even poetic lyrics, will be classed as bland. (Rolling eyes smilee). It's just the same with Travis. I think many people write both these bands off after hearing half a single on the radio, without actually listening to them properly.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Years ago, I had a friend who went on and on about Runrig. What a load of insipid s***e I remember thinking. But why pick on Scottish MOR? There's plenty of American pseudo-rock to hate on.
  • Options
    MicknsivMicknsiv Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Most of the time bands become fashionable to knock because they aren't very good. Travis I personally found utterly inoffensive and their music completely failed to stir any passion or emotion - same with Keane.

Utter bollocks. Queen are fashionable to knock. Think they weren't very good. Your logic is garbage.
  • Options
    MicknsivMicknsiv Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    I don't find Del Amitri bland at all, they have so many distinctive songs.

I never tire of hearing them even now, and if I've had a particularly bad day, they are usually the first thing I want to listen to. It's real feel good music for me, or feel better at any rate.

It always seems that any band that values melody and has wistful, poignant, sometimes even poetic lyrics, will be classed as bland. (Rolling eyes smilee). It's just the same with Travis. I think many people write both these bands off after hearing half a single on the radio, without actually listening to them properly.

Spot on man. Travis and Del Amitri are both outstanding bands!!
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wouldn't call Metallica a Danish band just because Lars is Danish - or U2 English because of Adam.

Or ABBA Norwegian because of Anni-Frid Lyngstad. You're absolutely spot on, mate. Some Scots and Scottish newspapers and magazines are notorious for claiming bands as Scottish because of one member. Marillion because of Fish springs to mind, same with Coldplay and Guy Berryman. It's sad and immature as a national trait and it embarrasses me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But why did that guitarist (a talented one) insist on dressing up as a clown? Looked bloody scary -I hate clowns

You've answered your own question there ;-)
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    Or ABBA Norwegian because of Anni-Frid Lyngstad. You're absolutely spot on, mate. Some Scots and Scottish newspapers and magazines are notorious for claiming bands as Scottish because of one member. Marillion because of Fish springs to mind, same with Coldplay and Guy Berryman. It's sad and immature as a national trait and it embarrasses me.

It's not quite such an egregious crime when it's the singer. Garbage is always one that causes confusion, I consider them to be an American band for the reasons given by Rocketpop. However, Shirley is the focal point of the band, a very strong frontwoman, her personality IS a huge part of the band.

Agreed, claiming Coldplay as Scottish because of GB would be strange. Has that really happened?
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simple Minds (Post New Gold Dream)