Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol, that shot was kind of ridiculous from Rafa.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Roger is always vulnerable in slams nowadays il say it again but he's completely done winning slams. You just cannot pronounce him a guaranteed semi finalist anymore. Yeah he'll win more masters but best of 5 for 7 matches at his age is too much

Well, he wasn't that far off winning Wimbledon but realistically that was his last chance. I don't think he would have gotten past Andy in this tournament and certainly not Rafa, assuming they get through.

Serena is becoming a bit like Roger as well in that she has more frequent blips. But the different nature of the women's game means you can't rule her out of winning more slams just yet. But, e.g., it's unlikely she'll match Steffi's total.

I'm sure Roger's a bit more "whatever" these days. Of course, he'd still like to win another slam. But with 17 and a nice family life I doubt he's as upset as he may have been in the past.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    Lleyton Hewitt said on channel 7 that when he and Roger were in practise before Brisbaine he had problems with the back, but then I think it's just one of those things he has to manage.

A lot of them get back problems eventually and they only get worse as they get older. In the past I suspect he will have won things, even a few slams, with his back issues but I assume it's a different matter when you're 33+.

But other than that consistency is bound to decline. Close shots that used to go in will now go out more frequently. I didn't see the match but I assume this is what would have happened?
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is dreadful. How on earth did Sela get to the 3rd round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thankfully Rafa is getting tired. We finally have some decent rallies.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He might win this third set!;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He might win this third set!;-)

It's now or never Dudi Dudi do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rafa is a vampire. We finally know how he recovers so quickly. :D
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Watch Anderson come out with some garlic and a crucifix for their match!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Watch Anderson come out with some garlic and a crucifix for their match!:D

:D Maybe he should switch one of his water bottles with holy water. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Shh don't say that, people might think it's actually true.

That was basically a training session, it was good to see my favs have straight forward wins. Not particularly exciting but nice for my nerves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would like to see Seppi play Berdy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some good matches tonight/ tomorrow. Kvitova vs Keys should be a close match. Plus Giorgi vs Venus, Lopez vs Janowicz and Ferrer vs Simon.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Not all that much look forward to in the mens later, with Ferrer/Simon probably the pick of the bunch but far from the purists' choice!

4th round is shaping up very nicely though

Tomic v Berdych looks very tricky to call
    Nadal v Andersen- just what shape is Rafa in? There's always some drama with him down under, saying that I still expect him to claw his way to the semis and probably final
    Murray v Dimitrov- I think Murray at his best will win this with a bit to spare but a 2014-esque performance and it becomes tricky
    Seppi v Kyrgios- Though kyrgios has been showing pretty well, I'm not really convinced by him just yet

Djokovic Isner
    JJ Raonic
    Wawrinka Pospisil
    Kei Ferrer

Some very promising potential match ups there also
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That quarter of the draw is so embarassingly low quality. Nadal to sleepwalk to the final at this rate. Anderson has the game to win but is a renowned choker.

Nadal a vampire? Well he certainly sucks the life out of tennis etc :p:D

Looking forward to Dimitrov vs Murray and Tomic vs Berdych looks tasty too. Seppi vs Kyrgios could be an interesting one too. Can Kyrgios get to the QF? AO crowd would love that.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    That quarter of the draw is so embarassingly low quality. Nadal to sleepwalk to the final at this rate. Anderson has the game to win but is a renowned choker.

Nadal a vampire? Well he certainly sucks the life out of tennis etc :p:D

Looking forward to Dimitrov vs Murray and Tomic vs Berdych looks tasty too. Seppi vs Kyrgios could be an interesting one too. Can Kyrgios get to the QF? AO crowd would love that.

I wouldn't go that far :D:D

Tomic and Murray are well capable of beating him. Berdych probably not. Andersen had a great 2014 and has a huge serve

While I do fancy Nadal to probably make final, I wouldn't put the house on it either, and he'll have to be at his best in the semi at least!!

The French open is a different matter :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murray should beat Nadal here but he always chokes against him. Too much of a fanboy sadly. I don't trust him to get over the line. He should show no mercy :p
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, surprised to see Federer out. This if course clears the path for Murray, who should reach the semi's, but you never know. Regarding Nadal, I think Kevin Anderson is probably the last remaining person who could upset him, otherwise it'll just be the usual Nadal charge to the final. Lots of interesting potential matches brewing though, Murray-Kyrgios and Nadal-Tomic in the quarters, and possibly (albeit unlikely) Kyrgios-Nadal in the semi's.

Delighted to see Sharapova had an emphatic win overnight. She really should make the final from the bottom half, but Bouchard could be tricky. I think if Bouchard is inspired, could get Sharapova on the move, and Maria has an off day, she could cause an upset. Obviously I'm looking a bit too far ahead though.

Lots on interesting matches to look forward to tonight. Can anyone see an upset brewing between Serena and Svitolina? Svitolina has a good game, beat Kerber a couple of weeks back, and she fits the usual criteria of players who can trouble Serena early in slams (lesser known, haven't played each other often). It might be more tempting to pick Muguruza to upset her in the 4th round, but I don't believe Serena would less lightning strike twice. Also take into account how Zvonareva really pushed her in the first set, if Svitolina got off to a quick start I think it could rattle Serena. Can anyone see it? Feel free to quote this post when Serena wins 6-2 6-1 :D
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, surprised to see Federer out. This if course clears the path for Murray, who should reach the semi's, but you never know. Regarding Nadal, I think Kevin Anderson is probably the last remaining person who could upset him, otherwise it'll just be the usual Nadal charge to the final. Lots of interesting potential matches brewing though, Murray-Kyrgios and Nadal-Tomic in the quarters, and possibly (albeit unlikely) Kyrgios-Nadal in the semi's.

Delighted to see Sharapova had an emphatic win overnight. She really should make the final from the bottom half, but Bouchard could be tricky. I think if Bouchard is inspired, could get Sharapova on the move, and Maria has an off day, she could cause an upset. Obviously I'm looking a bit too far ahead though.

Lots on interesting matches to look forward to tonight. Can anyone see an upset brewing between Serena and Svitolina? Svitolina has a good game, beat Kerber a couple of weeks back, and she fits the usual criteria of players who can trouble Serena early in slams (lesser known, haven't played each other often). It might be more tempting to pick Muguruza to upset her in the 4th round, but I don't believe Serena would less lightning strike twice. Also take into account how Zvonareva really pushed her in the first set, if Svitolina got off to a quick start I think it could rattle Serena. Can anyone see it? Feel free to quote this post when Serena wins 6-2 6-1 :D

It's possible, and you are right she fits into the profile of people who could upset Serena.

A lot depends on nerves, she was blown away by Sharapova in Brisbane for a set and a half, then played some good stuff that showed real talent for a few games, when it didn't matter.

She has the ability to give a below-par Serena a game, if she's having an off day.

I could also see Strycova give Azarenka a game, she's been in good form, and Vika is pretty short of matches. Both of them generally have combative personalities, so might be feisty.

Keys-Kvitova should be a fun slug-fest too, wouldn't shock me if Madison got an upset.

So, as you say, that'll be three walkovers to the favourites:D
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Djokovic or someone other than Murray or Nadal will win this year. The latter two really aren't on good form and could easily trip against anybody in their draw. Look at the mess Nadal made of the second round and he's still so fresh out of his long haitus.

I'm shocked Federer is out, even taking his age into account, he so rarely falters this early in a slam.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irishguy, I could definitely see svitolina causing Serena trouble if Serena gets a slow start. But then on the other hand, I could see Serena crushing her :p

I guess we will find out. Pretty excited for Keys vs Kvitova. Keys could definitely cause an upset here. Will be a big hitting match.
  • Options
    MicknsivMicknsiv Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Shappy wrote: »
    I think Djokovic or someone other than Murray or Nadal will win this year. The latter two really aren't on good form and could easily trip against anybody in their draw. Look at the mess Nadal made of the second round and he's still so fresh out of his long haitus.

I'm shocked Federer is out, even taking his age into account, he so rarely falters this early in a slam.

I'm sorry but do you even watch tennis? :D Andy is in great form. Playing really well. So I don't know where this aren't on good form comes from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Murray and Nadal play I think I'm leaning towards Andy. I think he's played Nadal enough to know what to do and get the job done. He just shouldn't let it go to 5, then I pick Nadal. Assuming they both get there, I like them both so I'm just happy if they make it.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Micknsiv wrote: »
    I'm sorry but do you even watch tennis? :D Andy is in great form. Playing really well. So I don't know where this aren't on good form comes from.

Yes I do thanks. I still don't think he's back to his slam winning best yet. Like Djokovic, he tends to play well in early rounds of slams anyway so not really indicative of much.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Yes I do thanks. I still don't think he's back to his slam winning best yet. Like Djokovic, he tends to play well in early rounds of slams anyway so not really indicative of much.

I see both arguments here really. I guess it depends on what you mean by form, over the last 20 days or so, Murray has actually loojked pretty sharp. Yet over a year or so against tough opponents it''s been poor.

FTR, I think it will be an Andy-Novak final, but I'm not putting any money on it.
This discussion has been closed.