Options

PlayStation Music

fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
Forum Member
✭✭
Sony's Music Unlimited will close at the end of March and will be replaced by PlayStation Music from Spotify on PS3 and PS4.

Handy for anyone who already has a Spotofy account who will be able to stream music as they play.

Comments

• Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Wow. Music Unlimited must have generated them damn all money then.

This will be good for those who have Spotify but I begrudge paying for music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The blog announcement talks about how easy it will be for PSN members to link up with Spotify Premium, no word on whether any of the free features will be available.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/01/28/playstation-meet-spotify/
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this allows me to play my Spotify account with no extra costs I'm well up for this :)
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Already have Spotify Premium so hopefully won't have to pay more to use on PS4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Sony's Fred Dutton you will be able to use free ad-supported accounts as well as the Premium option.

Good news for everyone it seems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's the benefits to a premium account ?
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    OMTT wrote: »
    Already have Spotify Premium so hopefully won't have to pay more to use on PS4

I don't think it likely you will be restricted from using it on the PS4. If you have Spotify Premium, then the service is fairly platform agnostic. There shouldn't be any charge to access it on playstation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    What's the benefits to a premium account ?

It varies between devices, so it's a bit early to say exactly what the differences on PS4 will be. Generally it's stuff like any song on demand, creating playlists, Improved sound quality, no adverts and unlimited skipping in playlists when you pay for Premium.

Worse case scenario, on a free account you'll pick an artist / genre and it will then stream a selection of music based around that with the occasional advert thrown in. You'll get a limited number of "skips" per hour to bypass any songs you really don't like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheers FF.

€10 a month for something I probably won't use much ..... Hmmm.

I'll try the free version and see how that goes.
  • Options
    NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome news. Really glad the free version is supported.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully it can run in the background like MU, used it for custom music in NFS and DC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Cheers FF.

€10 a month for something I probably won't use much ..... Hmmm.

I'll try the free version and see how that goes.

I started with the free version and upgraded pretty soon. I now have virtually every song I can ever wish to play at my fingertips, in my car, on my phone, on my Spotify Connect Homecinema. And soon on my PS4 & PS3. Result :)
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    I like how this is announced just DAYS after Spotify in ended their "Three Months for 99p" offer, glad I grabbed it now.
  • Options
    the dourflathe dourfla Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be nice if you could use this to put music on your share factory masterpieces.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would be nice if you could use this to put music on your share factory masterpieces.

Nice idea, but due to copyright I'd say not a chance.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is fantastic news... I will now be able to gather a playlist from all the best songs from all GTA games and play them over GTA V!!

The sounds of Vice City in Los Santos anyone? :)
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never really liked Spotify as I always found it too restrictive as a free user compared to Grooveshark. I shall have to give it another change on PS4 and see what the free service is like. It could be a convenient way to add custom soundtracks to games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Video Service is changing too.
    Following Sony's announcement of their new partnership with Spotify to provide PS Music, the Video Unlimited service is now set to be re-branded and similarly integrated to the ecosystem with a new name - PS Video.
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    How does custom sound tracks work in the games on PS4? Does it let you turn the in game music down so you can hear your own but with the sound effects also playing or does it just take over all the sound?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    This is fantastic news... I will now be able to gather a playlist from all the best songs from all GTA games and play them over GTA V!!

The sounds of Vice City in Los Santos anyone? :)

I was thinking of some nice opera while going on a shooting spree :D
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does custom sound tracks work in the games on PS4? Does it let you turn the in game music down so you can hear your own but with the sound effects also playing or does it just take over all the sound?

Turn down music in game, use the music app in the background.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's kind of game dependant. The custom track simply plays over the top, so you'll need to go Into the game's options menu and turn music off so they don't clash. Most games seem to allow this these days.

Edit - basically what MCSatan said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spotify should be arriving May 30th according to PlayStation France.

Meanwhile, lots of people are assuming it will come in the next couple of days when Music Unlimited closes.

With no official announcement as far as I've seen, cue hissy fits.....
  • Options
    the dourflathe dourfla Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least a date is something, rather than leaving us until a day before release.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spotify is available now.