Options

Breaking Bad Season 4 (US Pace) [Spoilers MUST be in tags!]

Comments

• Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe this is Jesse's year? Surely they can't give him another season of misery? Is he in shock and it will dawn on him what he has done. Sending him into deeper despair. I hope this is when he starts doing the smart thing and takes the lead in some things and ends up on top for once.

at some point he must learn that Walt allowed his gf to die .

btw - is her father still alive ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    at some point he must learn that Walt allowed his gf to die .

btw - is her father still alive ?

I image that will be left for the end of the final season.

Jane's dad? There was a report on Walt's car radio as he was driving along the freeway. It said the man responsible for the midair collision had been rushed to hospital with a self inflicted gunshot wound. So dead or alive. Who knows.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Donald_Margolis
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    This show goes from strength to strength in my opinion.. the end of season three was a fabulous cliffhanger, and there was no let up in the tension all the way through this season opener, with a big pay off in the scene in the lab.

Everything's nicely in place now.. Gale's Lab Notes will surely be found as a mysterious shooting is investigated.. hopefully this will contain enough information to inspire Hank to get back to work.. the big question now is how much detail of who Gale worked for is in those notes?
    Jesse's reaction to the whole lab scene was an interesting turn too.. There seems to be an uneasy stalemate between Walt, Jesse and Gus now.. but you get the impression that this cessation of hostilities is fragile at best

I do think it's a shame that the show hasn't been given a fair run in the UK.. the very deliberate pacing of every episode might put the casual viewer off, but surely it would find it's audience if someone like Sky Atlantic or Channel 4 bought it.. Just schedule it regularly at a sensible time and give it a little bit of hype..
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentbazz wrote: »
    This show goes from strength to strength in my opinion.. the end of season three was a fabulous cliffhanger, and there was no let up in the tension all the way through this season opener, with a big pay off in the scene in the lab.

Everything's nicely in place now.. Gale's Lab Notes will surely be found as a mysterious shooting is investigated.. hopefully this will contain enough information to inspire Hank to get back to work.. the big question now is how much detail of who Gale worked for is in those notes?
    Jesse's reaction to the whole lab scene was an interesting turn too.. There seems to be an uneasy stalemate between Walt, Jesse and Gus now.. but you get the impression that this cessation of hostilities is fragile at best

I do think it's a shame that the show hasn't been given a fair run in the UK.. the very deliberate pacing of every episode might put the casual viewer off, but surely it would find it's audience if someone like Sky Atlantic or Channel 4 bought it.. Just schedule it regularly at a sensible time and give it a little bit of hype..

C5 never promoted it , I only noticed it was on cos the RT mentioned it .
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Pigbristle wrote: »
    Am I the only one who felt disappointed with this new episode?

The Gus & Victor scene in the lab was slow & drawn out.
    Maybe it was just me, but it was so obvious what was going to happen, no surprise at all really.

Here's hopping the next episode improves ;o)
    I thought the entire episode was fairly predictable tbh, but that didn't stop me enjoying it. I would have been disappointed if they went for surprise twists and turns at the expense of logic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I thought the entire episode was fairly predictable tbh, but that didn't stop me enjoying it. I would have been disappointed if they went for surprise twists and turns at the expense of logic.

Would it have not been more logical for Gus to kill Jesse (to teach Walt a lesson) then have Victor work as Walt's assistant? :p

One other thing that bothers me, this originally was a story of a man with cancer, who got into criminal activity to help fund his family after he had died.
    And because he was a good hearted caring man, we kind of forgave him.

The thing is, now both Walt & Jesse are killers, so do we still have the same sympathy for these two, as we originally did?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    One other thing that bothers me, this originally was a story of a man with cancer, who got into criminal activity to help fund his family after he had died.

The thing is, now both Walt & Jesse are killers, so do we still have the same sympathy for these two, as we originally did?

I think that Walt's steady decline in his morals is one of the things that makes the show so compelling. Originally we liked Walt because we felt sorry for him, but now he seems to have turned into an anti-hero like Dexter or Tony Soprano, yet we still root for him, just like we do with Dexter and Tony in their respective TV shows.

Anti-heroes are more fun to watch!:p
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it have not been more logical for Gus to kill Jesse (to teach Walt a lesson) then have Victor work as Walt's assistant? :p

I think the fact that he was seen at the crime scene is the primary reason that he was killed, so from that perspective, no it wouldn't have been more logical. Using him to make a point was just a bonus, making the best of a bad situation, but it wasn't the reason to kill him.

In general, Jesse is a loose cannon who isn't particularly highly skilled, so he should be much easier to replace than Walt, but you risk losing Walt's cooperation if you kill him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I think that Walt's steady decline in his morals is one of the things that makes the show so compelling. Originally we liked Walt because we felt sorry for him, but now he seems to have turned into an anti-hero like Dexter or Tony Soprano, yet we still root for him, just like we do with Dexter and Tony in their respective TV shows.

Anti-heroes are more fun to watch!:p

I guess your right!
    Not so bad, if they stick to just killing the bad guys, that way we'll look upon them as vigilantes :D
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    Walt made it very clear that without Jesse, Gus wouldn't have Walt.

That's what makes the show so audacious. How far can Walt go before we lose all sympathy for him? "Heisenberg" is a bad ass, but he's also a power-corrupted drug dealer.

The one thing that really makes Walt sympathetic is his friendship with Jesse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Walt made it very clear that without Jesse, Gus wouldn't have Walt..

If Walt had just seen Jesse get his throat cut, me thinks Walt would have changed his mind :p
  • Options
    Nate SeinfeldNate Seinfeld Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am trying hard not to watch the premiere again, as I actually quite like waiting a week till the next new episode of a show I love sometimes! Was spoiling myself rewatching season three last week! :) So I've been looking for decent articles on the show in Google News. One of the most recent articles was from the Telegraph, by Rachel Ray, not the daytime talk show person surely? It says this series will air in the UK on channel 5USA. Can't be right surely, they don't have rights to season 3 last I checked.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8652116/Breaking-Bad-Season-4-AMC-review.html
  • Options
    bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who felt disappointed with this new episode?

The Gus & Victor scene in the lab was slow & drawn out.
    Maybe it was just me, but it was so obvious what was going to happen, no surprise at all really.

Here's hopping the next episode improves ;o)

It didnt match a standard BB episode for me, it was almost like a mid season filler, the best scenes in it were the ones with the lawyer, other than that......... It wasnt a complete mess like the recent True Blood Opener ( that one screamed, dont bother watching this show ever again!! ).
  • Options
    dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

While I don't share your general opinion of the season opener, I do feel I should comment with regard to your questioning of Walt. I do believe that Vince Gilligan stated quite recently that it's very much his intention for you to question Walt in that way.

See, I don't know if it says something about me that I'm still rooting for Walt (:D), but I think we are supposed to feel that he has indeed crossed the line- and indeed travelled way beyond it. His base motivation might still be there- namely, to provide for his family- but he has gone from small time outfit cooking in a caravan in the middle of nowhere, to being the cook for the most powerful meth baron on their side of the Mexican border. He has put his family at risk from a dangerous Cartel, he has murdered men, he has manipulated Jesse and effectively ruined his life... the list goes on. He's cool in an anti-hero kinda way, but there's no question that Walt has become absorbed in this world and at times, seems to enjoy it...

But yes, you are asking the exact question the show's creator wants his audience asking :)

(In fact, it was even posted here on DS: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s166/breaking-bad/news/a329693/breaking-bad-exec-wants-viewers-to-question-walt.html)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    It says this series will air in the UK on channel 5USA. Can't be right surely, they don't have rights to season 3 last I checked.

That was certainly the case last time I looked too.
    I hope that channel 5 never get their hands on this again.
    Somebody needs to buy the rights to all four seasons, and show them regularly at a sensible time (and do the mad thing of, you know, actually letting people know that it's on).

I was describing the show to someone at work the other day, and I began to recall just how great season one was (as it's been such a long time since I saw it).. so I'd definitely re-watch all these from the beginning..

Sky Atlantic?
    Channel 4?
    BBC HD?
    Please somebody make it happen
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dannyb0yuk wrote: »
    While I don't share your general opinion of the season opener, I do feel I should comment with regard to your questioning of Walt. I do believe that Vince Gilligan stated quite recently that it's very much his intention for you to question Walt in that way.

See, I don't know if it says something about me that I'm still rooting for Walt (:D), but I think we are supposed to feel that he has indeed crossed the line- and indeed travelled way beyond it. His base motivation might still be there- namely, to provide for his family- but he has gone from small time outfit cooking in a caravan in the middle of nowhere, to being the cook for the most powerful meth baron on their side of the Mexican border. He has put his family at risk from a dangerous Cartel, he has murdered men, he has manipulated Jesse and effectively ruined his life... the list goes on. He's cool in an anti-hero kinda way, but there's no question that Walt has become absorbed in this world and at times, seems to enjoy it...

But yes, you are asking the exact question the show's creator wants his audience asking :)

(In fact, it was even posted here on DS: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s166/breaking-bad/news/a329693/breaking-bad-exec-wants-viewers-to-question-walt.html)

I've a strong feeling Walt will end up like Gus. If he survives of course. It all depends what Gilligan has planned for him. You could say letting Jesse's girlfriend choke to death was a line crossing moment. I don't have much sympathy for him after that. I still like Jesse a great deal though. He killed Gale but I can get my head around him doing that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    silentbazz wrote: »
    That was certainly the case last time I looked too.
    I hope that channel 5 never get their hands on this again.
    Somebody needs to buy the rights to all four seasons, and show them regularly at a sensible time (and do the mad thing of, you know, actually letting people know that it's on).

I was describing the show to someone at work the other day, and I began to recall just how great season one was (as it's been such a long time since I saw it).. so I'd definitely re-watch all these from the beginning..

Sky Atlantic?
    Channel 4?
    BBC HD?
    Please somebody make it happen

Sky Atlantic would be a great fit for the show, but the BBC would be a disaster! Just look at how badly they treated Nurse Jackie! Besides, apparently the BBC are trying to cut down on their US imports, so i can't see them picking up BB when it's already flopped on two other UK channels.

Sky Atlantic, make it happen:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody fantastic. Literally! I had nearly forgotten how good this show can be. Absolutely compelling viewing.

Interesting to read people's thoughts on Walt's morals and how he has seemingly lost them. For me, he has always remained faithful to the ones closest to him, his family and Jesse. And they beyond that it's always been about survival. Now ever more so.
  • Options
    Nate SeinfeldNate Seinfeld Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thirty-Eight Snub. Another enjoyable episode named after a weapone! Not exactly a high tempo one, but with lots of interesting moments. Walt is edging ever close to the abyss, the moment when he was approaching Gus's house was fantastic, perfect music, and then the call to go home. The part in the bar with Mike was also an important scene. Got a feeling that Marie was checking out Hank's physical therapist too.

Jesse is clearly disturbed and doesn't want to be alone with his thoughts after what happened in the lab and with Gale.

Saul's absolutely hilarious appearance in an advert certainly broke the tension a bit! :D I'm itching for next week's episode already, this show really needs to be shown through on Sky Atlantic soon!
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't that episode just too gloomy? I know that BB is never going to be a barrel of laughs but there has to be some sign of hope somewhere. Making Hank now so remorselessly miserable, Jesse back on the drugs and Walt setting out to kill someone there was very little light in the darkness.

I love BB and enjoyed the first episode of this season, but wasn't this one just a bit too downbeat? Perhaps when if see the characters reacting positively to their adversity in future episodes these early episodes might be more justified. But if it were to carry on like this then I think I would stop watching.
  • Options
    leithladleithlad Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    Wasn't that episode just too gloomy? I know that BB is never going to be a barrel of laughs but there has to be some sign of hope somewhere. Making Hank now so remorselessly miserable, Jesse back on the drugs and Walt setting out to kill someone there was very little light in the darkness.

I love BB and enjoyed the first episode of this season, but wasn't this one just a bit too downbeat? Perhaps when if see the characters reacting positively to their adversity in future episodes these early episodes might be more justified. But if it were to carry on like this then I think I would stop watching.

Vince Gilligan has stated that season 4 is gonna begin dark then get darker:eek:
  • Options
    JazzSP8JazzSP8 Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    leithlad wrote: »
    Vince Gilligan has stated that season 4 is gonna begin dark then get darker:eek:

GOD I hope so!

Loved the second episode, Walter is so out of his mind now with wondering what Gus is going to do, Jesse is slipping further and further into despair.

I can see both of them are going to mentally break and then react to their situation, well - I hope that's going to happen at least, seems to be that there both being pushed to their limits.

Loved that Heisenburg came back, it was great watching Walter panic about what he was going to do outside Gus's and then out came the hat and a slip into character, even the music changing was well done. And then just as he has reached his half way mark the phone call came... Brilliant.

Not that sure what's going on with Hank at the moment, I'm kinda hoping that story is going some place and he's not out for the count - They've sort of made him a none character at the moment by removing him so much from the main plot of the story - Sure it'll come good, but until then stop distracting from the main! LOL

One thing I've noticed about this show is that I never want it to end where it does, it goes by so quick, despite the slow pacing, that I'm just about settling down into the story and it fades to black.

How many episodes has this season got? - Anyone know?
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    JazzSP8 wrote: »
    How many episodes has this season got? - Anyone know?

13 episodes.
  • Options
    dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As leithlad said, I wouldn't be expecting things to be getting any brighter...

I really enjoyed last night's episode, it's indeed going to be fascinating to see what comes of Walt's current intentions. I have to admit, after I saw the 'get me in a room with him' part of the trailers, I had been presuming that Mike would help him. Maybe he still will, you can't imagine Walt would be surviving much longer otherwise. As mentioned, the scene where Walt was approaching Gus' home was fantastic... plus he somehow managed to look badass with the Heisenberg hat on :D

The main casualty of what's going on this season, as best I can tell so far, is Walt Jr!!!! The actor must be disappointed, he's had two brief appearances walking around the house and that's it! Hopefully there'll be more room for him and he will become more involved again. It does seem like Walt has no time for his family that he's doing all this for, however.

Jesse is clearly on a bad path... exactly where that's taking him from here on...?

Also, I loved Badger and Skinny Pete's video game zombie conversation! I'm surprised AMC didn't find a way to get The Walking Dead mentioned there though :p

From watching the promo for next week:
    So much information can be gleaned! It appears to be that Marie will confide in one of Hank's colleagues, who will be have Gale's lab notes and talking to Hank about him and the lab, so it looks like Hank may have a new reason to try and pull himself together.

I think the car wash will be sabotaged, presumably by Walt, to force the owner into a sale... I'm guessing on the cheap, too.

Victor's replacement will be keeping his eye on someone, outside of the lab.

Jesse will seemingly continue to remain composed when with Walt, while being a train wreck back at home...
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My problem is that I am addicted to BB, but for the first time I wondering whether I am enjoying it, and now I hear that it is going to get even darker. Would a 12 step programme help me to give it up?