Time to suspend the human rights act?

David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think I remember seeing some years ago, that in an emergency situation such as war, or civil unrest, the human rights act can be suspended by the goverment.

Are we at that point now?

Comments

• Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, nowhere near.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    For little rats like this yes. They gave up their human right when they did this.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Human rights aren't worth very much if someone can get rid of them at a drop of a hat.

So which rights should go? Right to life perhaps? Right to a fair trial? Who loses those rights? The scrotes? How do you identify them from someone in the area innocently?
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Another ridiculous thread.
  • QuickfadeQuickfade Posts: 5,998
    Forum Member
    Please tell me why I, a law abiding tax-paying citizen, should have my human rights stripped from me because some little scrotes are rioting?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The human rights act needs suspending from the end of a rope to put it to death once and for all.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    No. We have to be better than this. We should absolutely arrest and punish people for criminal activity. But we should not dehumanise people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    I think I remember seeing some years ago, that in an emergency situation such as war, or civil unrest, the human rights act can be suspended by the goverment.

Are we at that point now?

Do you actually know what the Human Right Act is?

Which bit would you like suspended, and which bit do you think is hindering policing?
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    The European Convention On Human Rights:

http://conventions.coe.int/treaty/en/Treaties/Html/005.htm

The Human Rights Act 1998 which makes it English Law:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/42/contents

For quick reference.