Options

Execution in Arizona takes 2 hours to kill prisoner

PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28457460#TWEET1191969

US death row inmate Joseph Wood has died after an execution in Arizona took nearly two hours to kill him.

Wood, a double murderer, was executed by lethal injection.

His lawyers filed an appeal for an emergency stay of execution, after he had been "gasping and snorting for more than an hour" in the death chamber... see link for more

I just find it hard to sympathise for a double murderer. 2 hours must have felt like forever but do you sympathise at all for him?

**link needs to be pasted. Never works on this phone sorry

Comments

• Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I do. A lot.

Cue 489043 people saying it would have been better if it was 497 hours.
  • Options
    PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it would have been better I just struggle to muster any emotion for the situation :/
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Second time I've heard of something like that happening recently. After the first one I read that in that particular case they were having a hard time sourcing drugs as many drug companies won't sell them any to be used for this. They end up using less effective ones from a company who will and it takes longer for the prisoner to die.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    victim's families get to watch the executions live i wonder if they were cheering :kitty:
  • Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No sympathy from me.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say what was wrong with a shot to the head & the heart?
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lethal injection no longer seems to be the 'easy' way to die, based on what seems to be a growing number of recent cases.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »
    Yes, I do. A lot.

Cue 489043 people saying it would have been better if it was 497 hours.

+ 1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well boo whoo. He lived 25 years more than his victims.

They had to change the drugs after some countries refused to supply them.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They make things very complicated. ^_^
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bullet to the back of the head would've prevented this.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    Yes I do have sympathy for him but then I find the death penalty abhorrent anyway.
  • Options
    ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He suffered for two hours, the families of the murdered will live with it for life........

Although the injection is long winded........bullet in the head like they would a race horse with a broken leg.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He chose to commit a double murder so, as for being executed, I have no sympathy. I do, however, think it should be done quickly and efficiently although I don't know if I would feel that way if it was my husband and daughter he had shot.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No sympathy for a murderer...and no time for people that do have sympathy for a murderer either, who should actually think more of the victims, then scum.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    I'm in favour of ithe death penalty as it saves money and is payback for the victims..but firing squad should be the method. Plus its cheapest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    No sympathy for a murderer...and no time for people that do have sympathy for a murderer either, who should actually think more of the victims, then scum.

I have sympathy for all people that are killed, that includes those killed by the state.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He suffered for two hours, the families of the murdered will live with it for life........
    Especially if they were watching the execution.

Torturing a man to death is inhumane no matter how "deserving" the recipient is. If they can't organise a simple execution then don't have them. Or contract them out to someone like al-Qaeda.
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    I'm in favour of ithe death penalty as it saves money and is payback for the victims..but firing squad should be the method.
    1) it doesn't save money
    2) how do you bring someone back to life if they are subsequently found to be innocent
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Interesting that they tried to get a stay of execution for him based on the fact that the drugs were of suspect quality. Seems they were right:
    http://time.com/3023622/supreme-court-joseph-wood-execution/

This is unacceptable. This turns us into torturers and barbarians.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Especially if they were watching the execution.

Torturing a man to death is inhumane no matter how "deserving" the recipient is. If they can't organise a simple execution then don't have them. Or contract them out to someone like al-Qaeda.

1) it doesn't save money
    2) how do you bring someone back to life if they are subsequently found to be innocent

1. Make appeals on a time limit of 1 yr.
    2.a rare occurrence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    1. Make appeals on a time limit of 1 yr.
    2.a rare occurrence.

Oh so because it only happens to a few, that justifies their murder? Maybe in those cases the executioner should be taken out as well.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not about having sympathy for the murderer, it's about thinking that state sanctioned executions are bloody draconian.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    2 hours to die with it being watched by the victims families via a live video link? Given that length of time, they would have been better off Sky+'ing it to watch later. That way they could have fast forwarded through the adverts.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have sympathy for all people that are killed, that includes those killed by the state.

Why have sympathy for a murderer...someone that chose to take others lives. Do you feel sympathy for Hitler, Osama etc...as it amounts to the same thing?

You can oppose the death penalty, but that is separate to feeling sympathy for killers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Why have sympathy for a murderer...someone that chose to take others lives. Do you feel sympathy for Hitler, Osama etc...as it amounts to the same thing?

You can oppose the death penalty, but that is separate to feeling sympathy for killers.

Because they are still human beings. Should I not feel sympathy for the person that killed him should that person be killed?