Options

Does anyone else have difficulty getting to sleep at night?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
Forum Member
✭✭
This is something I've had all my life, for the most part you accept it but other times like tonight it just really pisses me off.

Take tonight for an example, I was sitting on the sofa half sleeping all evening, I was just waiting for a reasonable time to go to bed, come 8.30 I said enoughs enough, put my daughters to bed and went to bed myself, wasn't in bed 10 mins until the tiredness left me, I gave up trying to fall asleep and got up again.

This happens most nights, I have a physically demanding job, come home knackered, I go to bed around 9 usually, I'm still awake at 12, as soon as I go to bed the tiredness leaves me.

I envy my daughters, I put them to bed, 5-10 mins later they are gone.

Does anyone else have these issues? Id love to have something to blame like caffeine, nicotine etc but don't use the stuff.

Comments

• Options
    Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, i'm exactly the same. It's soo frustrating, have you tried reading for a little while in bed?

Sometimes that helps me.

I'm always the last to sleep in my house, there's lots of things you could try though like taking a bath, meditation, relaxing music etc
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you forgotten your 10 year old son? Maybe he's keeping you awake?
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Insomniac through and through.

And Happy, not a criticism, make more time for the kid/s and family, things will improve.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Have you forgotten your 10 year old son? Maybe he's keeping you awake?

That did make me chuckle :blush:
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Take tonight for an example, I was sitting on the sofa half sleeping all evening,

You've answered your own question!
    You need to keep yourself active and awake, then go to bed and, hopefully, go to sleep.
    By "sitting on the sofa half sleeping all evening" I'm afraid you are ruining your chances of having a good night's sleep.
  • Options
    Dan 54Dan 54 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep,drives me mad sometimes,very rarely asleep before 2am,doesn't matter what I do, seem to come alive around 10pm.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the same club my body clock has been wrong since I has a toddler. I never sleep before 3 or 4 am and if I have to get up early I am not very withit. I think I was meant to live in New York five hours behind us. It's a nightmare if I desperately need sleep and have to get up early I don't know what can be done to help it. I turn off the tv, put down my iPad and turn off the lights and try to sleep but it doesn't make a difference I just lie there awake. My dad is very luck he just goes straight to sleep day or night when he shuts his eyes.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    another insomniac.

try adjusting your tired time so it`s later. if it`s an episode rather than chronic take something over the counter like nytol [not the herbal, it`s rubbish] for a fortnight, that might help you re-establish a better pattern.

if it`s chronic you might just need less sleep than "normal" people, mine`s about three hours a night.

edit: just reread your post, all your life :( it`s possibly natural.
  • Options
    iDirtyPenguiniDirtyPenguin Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I'm 28, and for the last 6/7 years my bed-time is about 2-3am and I'm generally up for 8:30-8:45am for work. Come weekend and I'm usually up till 5am and don't wake up till 2-3pm.

Think because it's been going on for so long, I don't sleep well. My rooms in the process of being refurbished.

Bringing back thick curtains to block light coming through, got a neighbour whos back garden light pops on most of the time. Try a trial of over the counter stuff to see if I can shift the body clock into a routine.

I hate it.. Absolutely f'ing hate not being able to sleep. Maybe it's this digital age :/
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,029
    Forum Member
    Yeah I've always found it difficult to get to sleep. I can't get to sleep at all without some background noise. I can lie in bed for hours without a TV or some music playing and not be able to sleep, turn the TV on and be asleep in no time. Luckily my fella can sleep with noise around him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With me its not that I don't be tired, as soon as I sit down in the evening I'm wrecked, but once I go to bed and lie for 15 mins or so the notion of sleep leaves me.

This happens at least 5 nights out of 7, the only time I am guaranteed to go over straight away is after a few drinks on a Saturday night.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 28, and for the last 6/7 years my bed-time is about 2-3am and I'm generally up for 8:30-8:45am for work. Come weekend and I'm usually up till 5am and don't wake up till 2-3pm.

Think because it's been going on for so long, I don't sleep well. My rooms in the process of being refurbished.

Bringing back thick curtains to block light coming through, got a neighbour whos back garden light pops on most of the time. Try a trial of over the counter stuff to see if I can shift the body clock into a routine.

I hate it.. Absolutely f'ing hate not being able to sleep. Maybe it's this digital age :/

I've got loads of sympathy for anyone who finds it hard to sleep, for whatever reason, but your last sentence is very true.

Years ago, if we were waiting for contact from (eg) someone we fancied, we'd have to wait until our landline rang. If they didn't have a landline (quite a few people didn't) we'd have to wait for a letter or even for the weekend to see if we bumped into them in the pub. We had no choice but to learn patience. Nowadays, it's all so different and our minds just can't switch off.

The only thing I can suggest for that is banning mobiles/laptops/tablets from the sleeping area, regardless of reason, and go back to normal alarm clocks.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,432
    Forum Member
    If lack of sleeping is an issue than I'd suggest trying out the tips in this advice here http://www.sleepcouncil.org.uk/how-to-sleep/sleep-tips/. If that doesn't work then I'd suggest buying some Sominex from the chemist (active ingredient: promethazine) and if that still doesn't work then I'd suggest booking an appointment with the GP.
  • Options
    Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure it's not linked to depression? I've had insomnia on and off since I was a teenager and it's always worse when my mood is low.

Personally, I would go to the GP. I know lots of people aren't fans of taking tablets but I was so fed-up I was willing to take anything. You could always try something like mirtazapine - it's an anti-depressant but lots of people just take it at the lowest dose as a sleeping aid. I'm out within about an hour of taking it (I am on the highest dose though, although it's supposed to be more sedating at the lowest dose). Amitriptyline is another anti-depressant that's used to help sleep. I'm sure there are other non anti-depressant tablets you can try as well.