How much was petrol when you passed your driving test?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
Forum Member
On the news there ASDA have announced another cut in fuel prices, bringing unleaded down to 105.7p and diesel to 112.7p.

Got me thinking of when I passed my test in September 2009 I think my first fill up was 102.9p for diesel. Most I have ever paid was 156.9p at a motorway service station in April 2012 when prices went crazy for a bit and there was fuel shortages.

I'm actually about to get a new car with a small petrol engine so I might end up paying less than I did nearly 6 years ago if petrol dips to less than £1. Never thought it would take 6 years to beat my lowest price but could be nearly there :)

What about you?

Comments

• elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I remember paying 89.9p for it at one stage, it was around the 104.9p mark when I passed but it went down over the year.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was 1991 and there was outrage because it had gone over 50p per litre because of the Gulf War.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever it was in August of 2001
  • BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    77p a litre
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    57p ish a litre.......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Less than 20p a gallon so less than 5p a litre.
  • archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4 gallons of Super and a shot of RedEx for £1. Circa '65.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was using Diesel when i passed, was only 47.9p :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 45p a litre for diesel. Those were the days! Although where I live now, it's only 10p per litre for super unleaded....
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    I can remember in 1972 a GALLON of petrol costing 34 or 35 pence.
    Oh god, those were the days!! :D
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not too sure, because I passed in 1980. However, my driving test cost £7!
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 4 shillings a gallon (20p) so it was less than 5p a litre. Happy Days
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    34ppl
  • bozzimacoobozzimacoo Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not too sure, because I passed in 1980. However, my driving test cost £7!

Snap! :)

Was per gallon, leaded unleaded I can't remember either. My tpff insurance was £80 for the year.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how much petrol is now, nevermind then. I've never looked at it I just fill it up and pay

It's not like prices vary much from place to place or you can haggle the price
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    1998 - 69.9p
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    archiver wrote: »
    4 gallons of Super and a shot of RedEx for £1. Circa '65.

I remember it being 4/10d per gallon then (which was 10 years before I learnt to drive - by which time it had shot up to 75p per gallon or so.)
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was the same price as a packet of 20 ciggies and has been more or less the same ever since although ciggies never go down in price.

About 2/6 in old money for a gallon
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,575
    Forum Member
    I remember my dad telling me that there were plans to introduce petrol rationing in 1974 due to OPEC price fixing He said that it was serious because ration books had been printed. Can some of the less young drivers remember this time and was it as dramatic as my dad made it out to be? Way he told the story it sounded like the country was days away to running out of fuel and grinding to a halt and ever since then the price of petrol has been a big deal.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In 1968 I think 6/3d per gallon. According to The Historic Price calculator inflation that is 108p/litre at todays prices. Wages in those days were much lower in real terms so you are very much better off today.

£1000 per year was a reasonable wage then,( I was on £800 as a civil servant), that's only£16000 in todays money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Slight dampener on it but shows you how taxed to death we are here in the UK.

As we celebrate petrol falling to £1 a litre (£4.50 a gallon) Americans are celebrating as the average price over there falls to just $2.18 a gallon which at today's exhange rate is £1.43 a gallon or 31p a litre.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Apparently £1.60 per gallon, so 36.55p per litre.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1981 - 160p 4 star per GALLON (approx 35p per litre) -

I used to remember the Gov. in the budget would put "a penny on a gallon"...until litres appeared, then it was "a penny on a litre" which was approx 4 ish on a gallon. Stitch up!
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diesel was 53.9.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    77.9 unleaded

ETA: That was, believe it or not, only 10 years ago, as I've only been driving 10 years!