Obese people may get paid to lose weight

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7204257.stm

I just read that this morning and as far as I'm concerned everyone's entitled to do what they like with their own body. And whatever you decide to do, whether the consequences are positive or negative for your own health and general well-being, it's 100 % YOUR responsibility.

But is it right to pay them to shift a few pounds or stone?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member

I just read that this morning and as far as I'm concerned everyone's entitled to do what they like with their own body. And whatever you decide to do, whether the consequences are positive or negative for your own health and general well-being, it's 100 % YOUR responsibility.

Well no not really! Who is to say that they won't start over eating again once they stop getting paid. It's a waste of money in my opinion.

They should be losing weight for their health, not their wallet!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who knows what they will use the money for :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

they might buy cakes and a never ending circle will ensue!

then the universe will explode or something!
  • MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    Who knows what they will use the money for :p

Clothing alteration services, perhaps.
  • grah2702grah2702 Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spin this round and pay people to stay slim and healthy.

:eek::mad::eek::mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People should lose weight because they want to for their own health, not because its financially beneficial for them to do so.
    Forum Member
    grah2702 wrote: »

Exactly! The fit and healthy aren't using tax money with being in and out of hospital with weight related conditions or on weight loss surgery!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or it would be if obesity didn't cost the UK £7 billion a year.
    By 2050 it will cost £45 billion a year if the epidemic isnt brought under control.

If a cash incentive works to help peeps lose weight & get healthier - then it's money well spent.
  • NealeNeale Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grah2702 wrote: »

now that's a better idea :)

I guess they have worked out that it's going to be cheaper to persuade people to slim down that to pay for their treatment on the NHS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,360
    Forum Member
    Personally, I'd prefer to see cheap or free weight-loss groups, counselling and exercise opportunities. I'm sure these would do more good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member
    Perhaps I've misread the article (or, no names, perhaps certain people above HAVEN'T read the article at all) but does it say anything about paying people to lose weight?
    Ministers said measures could potentially include offering obese people vouchers for gyms as an incentive to exercise.

They wouldn't be able to use these vouchers to buy whatever they wanted would they? And, I imagine, that the councils won't have to pay full price as it will be a positive thing for the gyms as well (ie they will hope that once the vouchers run out, some individuals will continue to pay for it themselves, or even whilst using the vouchers they will pay for extra services themselves ...)

NOTE - I haven't stated whether I am for or against this because there isn't enough information yet. It's just a load of blurb right now in my opinion, and is far too early to put wholehearted support or opposition for it.
    Forum Member
    La Boheme wrote: »
    By 2050 it will cost £45 billion a year if the epidemic isnt brought under control.

If a cash incentive works to help peeps lose weight & get healthier - then it's money well spent.

Fair enough but what happens when the money stops? It's unfair to say they all will go back to eating too much, but some will, and what about those who are thin now but may become obese later? Will they start getting money the same time as the already obese? No.

Obesity is still and growing problem and for as long as there is fatty foods in the world, it always will be. If millions lose weight, fantastic, if millions more put on, not so great!
  • Rob FinlayRob Finlay Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As always, people that take responsibility for their own lives come out on the short end of the stick, while ****less wasters who shovel any old crap into their mouths are rewarded. Far people need to be told straight - 'this is YOUR fault, nobody is going to help you but YOU', if they can't sort themselves out, fine them.
    Forum Member
    A-Friend wrote: »
    Perhaps I've misread the article (or, no names, perhaps certain people above HAVEN'T read the article at all) but does it say anything about paying people to lose weight?

They wouldn't be able to use these vouchers to buy whatever they wanted would they? And, I imagine, that the councils won't have to pay full price as it will be a positive thing for the gyms as well (ie they will hope that once the vouchers run out, some individuals will continue to pay for it themselves, or even whilst using the vouchers they will pay for extra services themselves ...)

NOTE - I haven't stated whether I am for or against this because there isn't enough information yet. It's just a load of blurb right now in my opinion, and is far too early to put wholehearted support or opposition for it.

But they will use these vouchers so they don't have to pay, when they run out, they may not want to start paying as some gym memberships can be quite costly.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great , all those extra Burgers :D
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make them all go to a Fat Camp.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I live we have outdoor gyms. theyre kinda like playgrounds but for adults, with all sorts of training equipment so you can work out. Totally free to use of course. Theyre great. Can just go there and have a work out! Theres alsorts of stuff to use.
    I cant see them working in the UK. Too much health and safety. Someone will hurt themselves and then sue no doubt. So not worth doing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    I can't see anywhere where it says people will be paid? Just given vouchers.

You can already get free gym memberships on a prescription from your GP anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boom wrote: »
    Where I live we have outdoor gyms. theyre kinda like playgrounds but for adults, with all sorts of training equipment so you can work out. Totally free to use of course. Theyre great. Can just go there and have a work out! Theres alsorts of stuff to use.
    I cant see them working in the UK. Too much health and safety. Someone will hurt themselves and then sue no doubt. So not worth doing.

also it's hard to work out in a duffle coat :D
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    La Boheme wrote: »

Then why not charge the obese for the costs they incur?

Similar to making smokers pay for their own health care etc.

Personally I think it would be more of an incentive to lose weight if they are responsible for the financial cost of their obesity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wench wrote: »
    Then why not charge the obese for the costs they incur?

Similar to making smokers pay for their own health care etc.

Personally I think it would be more of an incentive to lose weight if they are responsible for the financial cost of their obesity.

Yeah but people are obese for different reasons. Not everyone is obese because they eat too many cream cakes and family sized bags of crisps. Some people are obese due to medical conditions which cripples their metabolism. Not fair to charge them when they need curing.
    Plus addiction to eating is a mental illness like annorexia. Or Addiction to gambling, or drug addiction etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think paying people is the answer. IMO if a person gets paid to lose weight, as soon as the money stops they will just put the weight back on (i don't know for sure but this is what i think). To me the money wouldn't be an incentive to lose weight.
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Boom wrote: »
    Yeah but people are obese for different reasons. Not everyone is obese because they eat too many cream cakes and family sized bags of crisps. Some people are obese due to medical conditions which cripples their metabolism. Not fair to charge them when they need curing.
    Plus addiction to eating is a mental illness like annorexia. Or Addiction to gambling, or drug addiction etc.

Fair enough but then I would like to see these schemes available to everyone and not just the obese.

I loathe the gym myself but even more so for the fact that I have to pay extortionate prices for them.

Why should someone, who led an unhealthy life (and I'm talking about those without a medical condition) be entitled to these options when someone who has worked hard to be healthy lose out?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,658
    Forum Member

No. If they want to be obese, that's their choice, but they're already going to be a drain on the NHS, they don't deserve any more money. Some of then would undoubtedly end up spending the money on food! And while I'm on the subject, the NHS should stop handing out gastric bypasses as a solution to obesity - it's a waste of resources when the problem could be solved equally efficiently, safely (all surgery carries a risk, especially in our MRSA ridden hospitals) and much more cheaply by the obese person going on a diet. But in today's quick-fix society, people think it's their 'right' to be thin, even if they stuff themselves from morning to night - and to be thin NOW.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    A-Friend wrote: »

Quite. I don't think anyone is reading the article... ;)