Options

Phil Jupitus Ott Laughing At Wogan On Buzzcocks

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Anyone think Terry was chanelling Humphry Lyttleton a bit?
  • Options
    SexualChocolateSexualChocolate Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    He really is the most unfunny guy nowadays.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't quite believe how many people thought Wogan was the perfect host. He was slow and most of his "jokes" fell flat and had no punch what so ever.

Wait for the Frankie Boyle episode, then see how Buzzcocks should be done.

Getting Lamarr or Amstell back or employing Frankie Boyle or Jack Dee as the permanent hosts would be the only way forward in my view. Heck, even Rhod Gilbert was good.

If Wogan becomes the permanent host then people will turn off in their drones, including myself and the other three people who I was watching the show with last night who found Wogan to be intolerable.
  • Options
    purpletoonlinkpurpletoonlink Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Wogan is great. It's his self-awareness that the jokes are so p!ss poor but he really gives it his all. I think it's the effort he puts in that makes it so charmingly funny.
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Why wrote: »
    I can't quite believe how many people thought Wogan was the perfect host. He was slow and most of his "jokes" fell flat and had no punch what so ever.

Getting Lamarr or Amstell back or employing Frankie Boyle or Jack Dee as the permanent hosts would be the only way forward in my view. Heck, even Rhod Gilbert was good.

If Wogan becomes the permanent host then people will turn off in their drones, including myself and the other three people who I was watching the show with last night who found Wogan to be intolerable.

I loved Wogan last night (as I mentioned earlier in the thread), but that does not mean I'd want him to be a permanent host! I think part of what made last night's episode so funny was that Terry didn't seem to 'get' it (although I'm sure that was exaggerated!) and his style was such a change from the other presenters.

It does go to show how subjective comedy is, because I haven't found Frankie Boyle amusing for years (since the early days of Mock The Week), and I've never found Jack Dee amusing in the slightest, so I'd hate either of them to be permanent hosts.

I do like Rhod Gilbert though :D
  • Options
    CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

^^ :) it was kinda the same with Cribbins as a panelist, although he was mildly funny, but people just went over the top in saying he great he was and calling him a national treasure.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few uncomfortable silences aside I thought Wogan did a top-notch job. And I say that as no fan of the Wigmeister General.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stardog wrote: »
    No idea how anyone could find this episode funny. Maybe too influenced by others.

I laughed a fair bit, and enjoyed the fresh feel of the show which Wogan brought with him, but there are numerous Buzzcocks episodes that were 10x funnier than this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mijath wrote: »
    Not a great episode. The pace was just too slow and there wasn't any edge to the humour.

I agree, it all felt a bit too nice and wholesome.
  • Options
    currykevcurrykev Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Tel. great job. :p
    I can't wait for the Duncan Norville to host. :D
    If Edith is a bloke, I'm a gay. :):confused:
  • Options
    juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    currykev wrote: »
    Well done Tel. great job. :p
    I can't wait for the Duncan Norville to host. :D
    If Edith is a bloke, I'm a gay. :):confused:

Sham man Edith Bowman from Fife and her Fife Father Dan ?

http://www.music4.com/images/celebrities/edith-bowman.jpg

http://www.advertisingarchives.captureweb.co.uk/images/trueimages/30/51/51/41/30515141-1.jpg

:eek::eek:
  • Options
    craigy132craigy132 Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

agree with all of this - buzzcocks needs a host whos prepared to give the guests a bit of aggro and sharp wit - amstell was great at the job but last nights show just felt like one great big wogan love-in .....aint he a national treasure
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As much as I like Frankie, it's pointless having him host the show if the people in charge just edit out all the good material.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thoroughly enjoyed old Tel on Buzzcocks. Very enjoyable half an hour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    To be fair, I enjoyed that one more than previous hosts this series. I unashamedly love Terry Wogan! However, the show hasn't been the same since Amstell left I'd love to see him back and Jupitus has sadly come to the end of the road for me.
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    As much as I like Frankie, it's pointless having him host the show if the people in charge just edit out all the good material.

Good material? Frankie Boyle? Hmmmm.:D
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    If Tel does the show permanently, I will start watching it again.

If Foulmouth Boyle or Shouty Gilbert does it, it'll remain off.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Azagoth wrote: »
    The should just make an unedited special for the Boyle episode :D
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craigy132 wrote: »
    agree with all of this - buzzcocks needs a host whos prepared to give the guests a bit of aggro and sharp wit

Yeah, and we all remember the high calibre of celebrity that started to appear on the show when Amstell was at the helm.

No self respecting musician was going to turn up and have the piss ripped out of them for 30 minutes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    Yeah, and we all remember the high calibre of celebrity that started to appear on the show when Amstell was at the helm.

No self respecting musician was going to turn up and have the piss ripped out of them for 30 minutes.

But do you want people that take themselves and their music so seriously on the show anyway?

Anthony Costa and Dane Bowers are never going to be regarded as anything in the history of British music but they did continue to go on the show and join in the fun despite being the brunt of most of the jokes.for the whole show.

Isn't it strange that this show has been going 14 years and Katie Price has never been a guest on it? Get the feeling she knows the chances of her getting through that show unscathed isn't very high? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Phill Jupitus serves a useful purpose on Buzzcocks, much like Paul Merton on HIGNFY - they both keep the flow going and save guests from dying. It's especially important when the programmes have guest hosts.