CD Demagnetizer

skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone ever heard of or used a Demagnetizer for CDs?
We've just had a chap in asking for one but none of us have ever heard of such a thing.
A quick search did find this but we still have no idea if this is a load of rubbish or actually has any benefit. To be honest we're quite amused by the idea!

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there really idiots who are gullible enough to fall for this BS? Surely no one is that stupid that they are willing to part with the thick end of two grand for something that will have no effect whatsoever on the disks they "demagnetise"!
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    A mains operated hand held head demagnetizer might do the job, although I haven't tried it myself on CDs, it works a treat on tape heads. There's one here on ebay for £19: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/141030150509?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    A mains operated hand held head demagnetizer might do the job, although I haven't tried it myself on CDs, it works a treat on tape heads. There's one here on ebay for £19: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/141030150509?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

But what possible effect can a demagnetiser have on something that isn't magnetic to begin with?
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    But what possible effect can a demagnetiser have on something that isn't magnetic to begin with?

Dunno. I'm just trying to help the OP with alternatives, not get into the mind of the customer.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This should be firmly placed in the multi thousand pound mains lead scam category.

We have a plastic disc with a silver coating neither of which is magnetic, read by a laser beam which itself is afaik immune to magnetic fields. You can focus one on the Moon.

Perhaps they should try demagnetising their recordings stored on a real magnetic storage media like a tape. That will definitely have an effect :o, though not exactly desirable.

Bit like using a degaussing device on a LCD TV. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was rather disappointed to discover Russ Andrews doesn't sell a disk demagnetiser. I would have though that would be right up his street. :D

Mind you I did find this...

www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=5009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was rather disappointed to discover Russ Andrews doesn't sell a disk demagnetiser. I would have though that would be right up his street. :D

How do you find these gems Chris ? . Best laugh this week,.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you find these gems Chris ? . Best laugh this week,.

Russ Andrews is comedy gold. I sometimes wonder if he is deadly serious about the stuff he flogs or is laughing all the way to the bank at the mugs who buy it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Russ Andrews is comedy gold. I sometimes wonder if he is deadly serious about the stuff he flogs or is laughing all the way to the bank at the mugs who buy it?

If anyone these days needs to demagnetise/degauss a truly magnetic sensitive device (extremely unlikely) , like a CRT/Tape Head a instant soldering iron works exactly the same as a purpose made device. I used one many years ago to remove a stubborn colour cast on a crt display that the auto degaussing failed to rectify. By all means try on a CD :D
  • chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The quote on that page from Hi-Fi World is a cracker ...

"Post treatment, everything was tighter, meaning that notes started and stopped with more speed and moved with superior precision...Bass was tighter and more punchy, mids were clear as a bell and treble produced extra air. Each frequency now enjoyed additional space and each was now able to portray subtle nuances – before, those details were often masked by the intrusive bleed from adjacent frequencies.”

A+ for creative writing maybe

notes stopping and starting faster ?
    Extra Air ?
    Additional space for each frequency ?
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep! There's the obligatory Russ Andrews reply. :D
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google "Peter Belt" to see even more hilarious ideas all the HiFi mags fell for hook line and sinker. This month HiFi news can hear the difference between USB cables although they did admit that a £10 one was rather good. It never ends.
  • wilson500wilson500 Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Images from DVDs were sharper and clearer, too."
    Ha ha. Forget HD, higher bandwidths - a 36° bevel is what you need!

"14 Day Home Trial!"
    After the machine has 'damaged' all your discs!
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This reminded me of the Smith and Jones Hi-Fi sketch.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxQqWSnsHoA
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    skinj wrote: »
    Has anyone ever heard of or used a Demagnetizer for CDs?
    We've just had a chap in asking for one but none of us have ever heard of such a thing.
    A quick search did find this but we still have no idea if this is a load of rubbish or actually has any benefit. To be honest we're quite amused by the idea!

Amused indeed, the idea of CD magnetization is total bullshit - and here's me thinking Monster were expensive! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Amused indeed, the idea of CD magnetization is total bullshit - and here's me thinking Monster were expensive! :D

To be fair, the P&P is free :eek:
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    To be fair, the P&P is free :eek:

If they throw in next day delivery as well, who could refuse such an offer? :D
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    wilson500 wrote: »
    "Images from DVDs were sharper and clearer, too."
    Ha ha. Forget HD, higher bandwidths - a 36° bevel is what you need!

"14 Day Home Trial!"
    After the machine has 'damaged' all your discs!

What a load of rubbish. It should be at least 38.65 degrees.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    That old saying "A fool and his money are soon parted" seems to be especially true if you visit Russ Andrews :)
  • PriliclaPrilicla Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also reminded me when I bought a green felt tip pen and coat the edge of the cd`s to make it sound better ! What a scam :o !
    Forum Member
    Prilicla wrote: »
    Also reminded me when I bought a green felt tip pen and coat the edge of the cd`s to make it sound better ! What a scam :o !

Me too. I tried hard to convince myself that the CDs sounded better but at least they didn't degrade the quality, and the pen was only a couple of quid. I also remember back in the days of vinyl I bought a spray on liquid that dried and then could be peeled off that was supposed to remove all the grot inside the grooves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Me too. I tried hard to convince myself that the CDs sounded better but at least they didn't degrade the quality, and the pen was only a couple of quid. I also remember back in the days of vinyl I bought a spray on liquid that dried and then could be peeled off that was supposed to remove all the grot inside the grooves.

But at least gunge in the groove of a record had some real quantifiable effect on sound quality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have some aluminium pans, if I demagnetise them will it turn me into a master chef ? :D
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi-Fi experts all agree that dirty air is the number one cause of poor sound quality in Hi-Fi systems.

Micro-particles of cadmium, zinc and krypton in the air inhibit and dampen sound oscillations.

I can sell some air cleaning spray that radically improves top end and clarity, and also has the aroma of apples!

A real bargain at £89.99 (free post and packing!)

ZOUND™ Air Purifying Spray. Instant Hi-Fi Freshness in a Can!:

http://i.imgur.com/9r3pAJB.jpg

(Contact me for information on our latest ZOUND Plug-In Orange Blossom, Hi-Fi Clarity for 6 Weeks! £375.99 for a pack of two)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Hi-Fi experts all agree that dirty air is the number one cause of poor sound quality in Hi-Fi systems.

Micro-particles of cadmium, zinc and krypton in the air inhibit and dampen sound oscillations.

I can sell some air cleaning spray that radically improves top end and clarity, and also has the aroma of apples!

A real bargain at £89.99 (free post and packing!)

ZOUND™ Air Purifying Spray. Instant Hi-Fi Freshness in a Can!:

http://i.imgur.com/9r3pAJB.jpg

(Contact me for information on our latest ZOUND Plug-In Orange Blossom, Hi-Fi Clarity for 6 Weeks! £375.99 for a pack of two)

Actually it's the oxygen in the air that is the real problem. Just the same as it is in cables. So like you can get Oxygen free copper wires you need Oxygen free air in your listening room for the ultimate audio experience.

:D:D:o