Oasis and Blur - Rock or Pop?

Phil_BaggersPhil_Baggers Posts: 980
Forum Member
✭✭
I've been having this argument with a mate of mine for weeks now. He says Oasis and Blur are pop and I'm saying they are Rock. I think it's obvious they are both Rock bands because if you said the Gallagher brothers or Damon Alburn that they are a pop band to their face you'd probably wake up in hospital the next day. What are people's thoughts on this??

Comments

• djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Oasis are rock and Blur are pop. Blur have more of a pop music sound
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I view Britpop as a form of alternative rock, Oasis in particular.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are both pop groups like the beatles, stones, kinks, etc. But nothings black and white, both groups created heavier rock tracks along with more lighter pop tracks.
  • chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me Oasis a a rock band for sure

Blur with songs like girls and boys were more on the pop side
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisqc wrote: »
    For me Oasis a a rock band for sure

Blur with songs like girls and boys were more on the pop side

on the other hand 'dont look back in anger' was pop whilst 'song 2' was clearly rock.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Why does it matter? I guess the issue is that 'pop' is seen as a dirty word, but it needn't be so!

As for the suggestions that Blur are more pop than Oasis - I'd argue that they have experimented far more and released far less commercial music than Oasis have.
  • gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always called bands like them "rocky pop".
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blur and Oasis were both indie rock'n'roll bands for me. Both of them had a knack for crafting really great pop songs, but rocked when playing live for me.
    They are straight descendants of bands like The Beatles, The Kinks and The Small Faces in many people's eyes, so make of that what you will. :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    They're usually classed as Brit Pop and i'd put that more in the rock camp than pop but it depends on the song as it could be classed as either or both - same with other bands of the era where some of the songs were more poppy than rock and visa versa.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd definitely class them as pop, at least around the years '94-'97, but the rest of the time I'd say alternative rock. Noel always calls Oasis a rock-n-roll band.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'd definitely class them as pop, at least around the years '94-'97, but the rest of the time I'd say alternative rock. Noel always calls Oasis a rock-n-roll band.
    but what does that mean?

They're hardly like Bill Haley or Buddy Holly or Jerry Lee Lewis.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    Blur and Oasis were both indie rock'n'roll bands for me. Both of them had a knack for crafting really great pop songs, but rocked when playing live for me.
    They are straight descendants of bands like The Beatles, The Kinks and The Small Faces in many people's eyes, so make of that what you will. :)

That covers it for me.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    but what does that mean?

They're hardly like Bill Haley or Buddy Holly or Jerry Lee Lewis.

Chuck Berry is the one they seem to come from It's kind of a progession of the sound of the 50s. The basic music of Rock N Roll is a boogie sometimes in 12 Bar.

The Stones, AC/DC, Status Quo are all considered to be Rock N Roll. All 3 of those bands have sung songs with Rock n Roll in the titles.

The Beatles started with Rock N Roll and went somewhere else with it.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both just Shite
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indie?... in what way are they 'indie'?...
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Creation records is a British independent label, so Oasis could be classed as Indie.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the time of their popularity they were ignored by the mainstream rock press (Kerrang, Raw, Rock Sound etc....).
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say they were both. They worked in the genre of rock, but produced pop music in that it was popular. There's a very good book called Yeah, Yeah, Yeah all about pop music, and that covers all genres, it just defines pop music as that which is popular.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member

I'd say they were indie as well. Indie doesn't really mean Independent anymore, in the same way that Pop doesn't really mean popular.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Creation records is a British independent label, so Oasis could be classed as Indie.

fair play.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say they were indie as well. Indie doesn't really mean Independent anymore, in the same way that Pop doesn't really mean popular.

so because some youngsters dont understand what 'indie' means it becomes a truth?...
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    so because some youngsters dont understand what 'indie' means it becomes a truth?...

No I didn't say that. Pop was short for popular, it clearly doesn't mean popular anymore it means the style of music. Indie was short for Independent (Both Blur and Oasis were signed to Indie's by the way) but now is more defined as a style of music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_music
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I didn't say that. Pop was short for popular, it clearly doesn't mean popular anymore it means the style of music. Indie was short for Independent (Both Blur and Oasis were signed to Indie's by the way) but now is more defined as a style of music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_music

depends how old you are mate... its all pop to me, i thought the term 'pure pop' referred to the manufactured nonsense pop .

the question is, when did 'indie' change its meaning, and should it?

i put it down to the rise of manufactured pop, in the late 80's when guitar based pop which had been popular since the early 60's stopped being popular with the young. obviously indie was around as was other styles of rock during the 90's, including britpop.

as i see it the confusion started in 02 when busted returned guitar based pop back to a younger audience, followed swiftly by mc fly and other guitar based acts graced the charts again. i think fans of guitar based pop like to call it 'indie' out of snobbishness. and the irony of it all is that the production team that popularised 'pure pop', stock aitken and waterman, were by definition INDIE! :o:D

but its all pop. call it what you will, indie is pop. blur/oasis... are pop groups just like the beatles, stones, kinks, slade, sweet, etc were in the past.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    depends how old you are mate... its all pop to me, i thought the term 'pure pop' referred to the manufactured nonsense pop .

the question is, when did 'indie' change its meaning, and should it?

i put it down to the rise of manufactured pop, in the late 80's when guitar based pop which had been popular since the early 60's stopped being popular with the young. obviously indie was around as was other styles of rock during the 90's, including britpop.

as i see it the confusion started in 02 when busted returned guitar based pop back to a younger audience, followed swiftly by mc fly and other guitar based acts graced the charts again. i think fans of guitar based pop like to call it 'indie' out of snobbishness. and the irony of it all is that the production team that popularised 'pure pop', stock aitken and waterman, were by definition INDIE! :o:D

but its all pop. call it what you will, indie is pop. blur/oasis... are pop groups just like the beatles, stones, kinks, slade, sweet, etc were in the past.

Perfect example is that Erasure are an indie band.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both bands played both styles. Why does it matter?