Anyone tried using SSE Ultra Broadband?

PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone got any experience with SSE Ultra Broadband (it is their fibre broadband) I know that this type of Broadband is closer to the BT fibre than Virgin fibre, but I am just wondering if anyone has used this service yet and if anyone has an opinion on it?

Cheers

Comments

• morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    I've got their standard broadband, but from a customer service perspective the switch took a long time (over a month) moving from BT. I did make a call to try and get some progress on the switch, call answered after about 15 minutes.

My Broadband is provided by Daisy Communications, I'm not sure if it will be the same for their fibre but it might be worth finding out if other companies use them.
  • Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beware... My advice is to steer clear of them.

Their customer service is shocking. Clearly, this company has tried to enter the broadband market with very enticing introductory offers but they are absolutely not prepared for the demand.

The queues are awful, prepare to wait for absolutely ages to connect to someone listening to the most shocking, depressing music imaginable. "You've got a friend in me" , "What a wonderful world" , "Unforgettable" and some rubbish with a trumpet.

I phoned to cancel my broadband order a week before the transfer was due to take place. Unfortunately, my phone has already transferred over. At first, I was told that it wasn't possible to cancel but finally I was told it would be. Today, I've just received a letter saying to remember that engineer will be arriving tomorrow.

The whole process would have taken over a month anyway. Currently been on hold for 30 minutes already... Go with Sky, BT or another company that's properly geared up for broadband - but don't go to SSE. They are complete amateurs. They'd be better sticking to gas and electric and even then they're rubbish.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd guess that "SSE" don't actually do anything - they have outsourced everything to a more established operator, with the overall quality of service depending on how much they're willing to pay

e.g. the Post Office and TalkTalk, John Lewis and Plusnet

Personally I'd avoid such providers and stick with those who actually run part or all of the service themselves - which doesn't have to be one of the big four (BT/TalkTalk/Sky/Virgin) but quite a few smaller ISPs that do things themselves
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    I'd guess that "SSE" don't actually do anything - they have outsourced everything to a more established operator, with the overall quality of service depending on how much they're willing to pay

e.g. the Post Office and TalkTalk, John Lewis and Plusnet

Personally I'd avoid such providers and stick with those who actually run part or all of the service themselves - which doesn't have to be one of the big four (BT/TalkTalk/Sky/Virgin) but quite a few smaller ISPs that do things themselves

My experience with them, I wouldn't call it internet access, watching a youtube video above 480p seems to be pushing it even though the line sync of 20mbps would suggest 1080p should be easy and stable.

I had much better access to pretty much anything with BT wifi at a lousy 3mbps.

Can't say what there so call ultra fast fibre would be, but i'd suggest their network won't be able to keep up.
  • TextmainiacTextmainiac Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    I signed up with SSE Standard Broadband for £12.99 a month, including line rental. Took six weeks to install, which was the time promised on the phone sign-up. 18 month contract, 'free broadband' for two years.

I have to complain that nothing has gone wrong. I get 12-14 Mbps, no buffering. Everything works.

I haven't had to phone customer services, and I haven't been able to make sweeping generalisations about their suitability as a supplier, or, so far, anything else.

Now, this is not their fibre offering, but even so, SSE have given me nothing to complain about which is utterly shocking.

Even worse, this service is only £12.99 a month, all in. This is truly awful, awful. I am going to have to write to their CEO to complain that their service is only 100% reliable. Why can't they put their prices up to around £30 a month like everyone else?

Unfortunately I also use SSE for my gas and electric supplies. Can you believe it? I've had no billing issues, over-charging, brown-outs or anything else to moan about. This is truly an abysmal state of affairs. They even sent me a £40 M&S voucher for re-signing. Imagine the horror!

Of course, other suppliers are available and this is not in any way a recommendation.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4599085130
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    I signed up for their Ultra fast Fibre yesterday, went through Quidco and "may" get £130 cashback !
    Their offer of all in £24.50pm is to good to miss, they do have traffic management operating, unlike Bt and Sky, but for the price, I will live with it, I will see how long the instal takes.
    Oh btw, All BT customers got an email 28th July saying their was a price increase and you could leave free of charge, within 30 days of the email. I phoned up a few days ago and asked to leave, he said im still in contract and would have to pay £153 to leave, I said im sure i got an email saying i could leave, he asked what the email said and date it was sent. I didnt know, so he wouldnt budge. Yesterday I went to my deleted folder and dug out the email, phoned them back.....I was allowed to cancel :)
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't, but I'm seriously considering moving there from Sky. The speed will be faster, and it will cost a few quid less, especially if I sign up via Quidco and get the £120 cashback for new customers.

I also like the bit in SSEs T&Cs that say they won't increase line rental for 2 years!
  • danielmeahdanielmeah Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    TCB are doing £136 now!
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have today taken the plunge and gone from BT (who offered me a new deal for infinity £10 a month more than i was paying for non fibre BB) to SSE who have a new offer from today - fibre fast BB and weekend calls for Free for 6 months (line rental included in the free price) and then £33 a month so still saving £17 a month after month 6 - only drawback possibily is 18 month contract but if all goes ok should be no problem

Will see how it goes and also used Quidco so hopefully get £90 cashback too