Options

Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation

Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
Forum Member
✭✭✭
saw this last night .

it's pretty good , I think it's safe to say if you liked the other MI films you'll like this , as usual Ethan Hunt is on the run from the baddies and his own bosses etc. and there's a memory stick with some info on it that everyone wants etc.

the much touted hanging off an airplane stunt is a bit of a let down , but there's an excellent car/ motorcycle chase , some good fights with some inventive moves , there's more comedy this time (which works well) .

and Tom Hollander plays the prime minister .

it basically ticks the boxes , but they've worked hard , it's familiar but new at the same time .

Comments

• Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 16-year-old and his friends enjoyed it last night, thanks to one friend's father. All felt it's delivered what it promised. A popcorn action flick. Some also said it was funnier than they expected.

The main subject of their discussion during dinner, though, was Rebecca Ferguson and her "badass self". Heh. They've also discussed the 'validity' of the relationship between her and a certain character, and whether Pegg was punchable. :/
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Empire have given it 4/5 and said it's the best MI film to date.

It has a score of 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.
    Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation continues the franchise's thrilling resurgence and proves that Tom Cruise remains an action star without equal.

The only film with a score bigger than 97% - Disney Pixar's Inside Out with 98%.

Can't wait to see it this week! Have a feeling it's going to join my list of excellent 2hr summer blockbusters (except it has an additional 11mins) but i expect it to be there.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the last one, so am looking forward to this one. Hopefully it delivers.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks good from the trailer. I'm looking forward to it.

The poster however, looks very old fashioned.
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rebecca ferguson was great! this has been a good year for women in traditionally male orientated action series, this, mad max.

oh actually just 2
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Well I watched Mission Impossible Rouge Nation this morning and I really enjoyed it.I am a fan of the MI films and this lived up to my hopes!

4/5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it, enjoyed it but overall i prefer MI: Ghost Protocol which was more fun in my eyes. This is deadly serious from start to finish and 10mins too long imo (doesn't make my list sadly). It sort of drags in the 3rd act and becomes a bit plot heavy and there's a line said by Alec Baldwin comparing Tom Cruise to destiny or something or other which i found ridiculous and unintentionally funny.

Tom Cruise brings his A-game and gives 100%, he is a movie star through and through. Simon Pegg is used a lot more and brings a lot more humour this time round. Ving Rhames and Jeremy Renner are used less and Sean Harris makes quite a good baddie. He gave off such a strong vibe that i couldn't stop thinking of Bond every time he appeared on screen. However Swedish actress Rebecca Anderson is the standout of the entire film. She is spectacular! Wow. Furiosa from MM: Fury Road would stand no chance with Ilsa. Ferguson could start her own franshise she was that good in the film.

Other than that the action is great - great car/motorbike chases, hand-to-hand combats, impressive underwater sequence, the fight scene at the Opera and the plane stunt which is incredible. The entire campaign for this film has been based on that plane stunt and that's the first thing the film gets over with! Lol.

Critics are right to rave about it. It is top notch quality summer popcorn blockbuster entertainment albeit rather forgettable. Now at 92% on RT.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could not get into this at all.

Firstly I felt I had pretty much seen it all from the trailers.

The story had a 'seen it all before' aspect to it. the IMF under threat, on the run, constantly being chased, in jeopardy, being disavowed etc. Nothing new.

It did not have the sense of fun the previous movies had, far too serious. Simon Pegg's efforts at comedy seemed to fall flat.

I much preferred Ghost Protocol.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember liking Ghost Protocol when I saw it but can't now remember much about it .

shouldn't it have been on telly by now ?

also - what ever happened to the Rabbit's foot storyline ? it's kinda referenced in this new movie , but then . . . ? is the Syndicate supposed to have something to do with it ?

• Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Rabbit's Foot in the third film was just a MacGuffin.

The reference to it in this with the keyring would have been just a wink and a nod.
  • Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saw this today, like the others, it is watchable and enjoyable at some level, but I found it kinda soulless and I can't really sum up why

Rebecca Ferguson is a revelation, brilliant actress and character and Tom Cruise, is as usual, on top form as a movie star

two best summer blockbusters, for my money have definitely been Jurassic World and Max Max: Fury Road

both, I found satisfying on multiple levels
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The cargo plane stunt - 8 takes Cruise did for that. 8! Mind-blowing.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could not get into this at all.

Firstly I felt I had pretty much seen it all from the trailers.

The story had a 'seen it all before' aspect to it. the IMF under threat, on the run, constantly being chased, in jeopardy, being disavowed etc. Nothing new.

It did not have the sense of fun the previous movies had, far too serious. Simon Pegg's efforts at comedy seemed to fall flat.

I much preferred Ghost Protocol.

I didn't enjoy it.

Not only was the plotline absurd but it was ridiculously overlong & self indulgent.

It needed to lose 30 mins, it really Dragged towards the end.

I was actually bored by the end of it.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Why has every movie got to be explosions and stuff. The original mission impossible series was clever ideas, not many explosions or shoot outs, just ingenious methods ..i feel i know what to expect in this even though i havent seen it.
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two hours of enjoyable nonsense. Exactly what I was expecting :)
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    I watched it and I liked it. Good to see a reference to the TV series in the Syndicate.

8/10 if we are giving marks!

I wonder how they can top the plane for Mission Impossible 6?
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Trimmed down to under two hours, would have been better - Great stunts, poor story - Rebecca Ferguson, amazing.

7/10
  • Options
    The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Trimmed down to under two hours, would have been better - Great stunts, poor story - Rebecca Ferguson, amazing.

7/10
    Pretty much what i was going to say. I'd rank it only fourth in the franchise, but that isn't to say I didn't enjoy it. Only M:i II is a dud.

M:i III
    M:i I
    M:i IV
    M:i V
    M:i II
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this on Saturday, it was what I've come to expect from a MI movie - lots of action, amazing stunts, a bit of humour, but overall it was far too long, maybe 30 minutes too long for me as I started nodding off towards the end.
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this on Friday and it was entertaining I guess, but pretty silly. I am not the hugest MI fan anyway so I can't really comment on the detail compared to other films but I felt it was a very average generic action film. The humour didn't work at all IMO and Simon Pegg is just depicted as a stupid bumbling British agent whilst the rest of the film takes plotholes and plausibility to the next level, so it really doesn't sit well together.

I agree with another poster about the strange line from Alec Baldwin about Tom Cruise being destiny. It was as if they'd got their scripts mixed up.

Too many convenient bits to the story - for example
    The top secret memory card thingy being underwater so no-one can reach it... but just underwater enough for an athlete to feasibly free dive to it. Convenient.
    Cars they can access around the world - whenever they stumble out of any alleyway being chased with guns one is conveniently parked on the corner. Access is by palm recognition only. With all this technology yet they fail to fit bullet proof glass.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    Asarualim wrote: »
    Saw this on Saturday, it was what I've come to expect from a MI movie - lots of action, amazing stunts, a bit of humour, but overall it was far too long, maybe 30 minutes too long for me as I started nodding off towards the end.

I agree with the comments on here about the final half hour. I was expecting a big set piece in London but you don't get it. But overall quite enjoyable but a bit too long as others have said.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the series. And this one is fun while it's on. There's not much to remember the morning after, though. Bubblegum for the brain.
  • Options
    trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    I agree with the comments on here about the final half hour. I was expecting a big set piece in London but you don't get it. But overall quite enjoyable but a bit too long as others have said.

yeah , i enjoyed it , but like the above i too was expecting some elaborate set piece maybe involving climbing around the london eye akin to the golden gate bridge for roger moore in a view to a kill.

other than the weak ending though it was very good
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    excellent movie, maybe the best of the 5 Mission Impossible movies, the only thing that concerns me is that this trend continues the trend of trying to be funny, by which I mean including Simon Pegg, 4 very much suffers from the mission going wrong for Simon Peggs comic effect, this is pretty much the plot point for the start of this movie, it got me wondering if Simon Pegg was a member of the syndicate.

There are however shades of the MCU in this movie, first we start off with IMF is HYDRA, and then the latest disposable female lead character (why do they even bother?) reminds me alot of Black Widow, how she gets Ethan and co to help her with her missions, still she plays her part really well, and the villain is also maybe the best of the franchise, very calculating, I suspect with a second viewing, you can see her plan play out in even greater detail.

Funniest moment is of course Hawkeyes "I can neither confirm nor deny" line at the end, and whilst it was a little easy to guess Ethan knew he would call the CIA, and used that, I was thinking Ethan was would be Hawkeye not the MI6 guy.
  • Options
    Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've really enjoyed the last couple of Mission: Impossible films. They're good fun, well made, not too taxing but not too dumb.

Rebecca Ferguson is gorgeous - and a complete unknown to me since I never watched The White Queen.

I do have one quibble. Simon Pegg's character refers to the Austrian Chancellor as a head of state. He's not. Austria has a president - he or she is head of state. The Chancellor is the head of government. I'm being a pedant, I know...