Options

Joe Mcelderry enters at number 3 on album charts

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
Forum Member
Was 2 all week in mids but pipped to the number 2 slot by Michael Buble, with Kings Of Leon at number one

Still got the hightest new entry though

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    Sucks to be him. Is this the lowest chart entry yet for a winner? (IIRC, Leon got to #2.)
  • Options
    yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,533
    Forum Member
    Quite good considering how the single has faired to be honest, I was expecting outside the top 5 a week or so ago.

If the 2nd single does ok to prop up the album, then all may not be lost
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised. Perhaps most of his fans plan to buy the album next week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe is the total package.

A complete and utter failiure on every level!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, although I don't care for him he did really well to beat the wanted as they are the most hyped up band at the moment bar take that lol, plus leon only got to No.4 on the charts.
    I have to say though shows how much simon cares to promote buble's album on the x factor, when it would compete with Joe
    (and we all new KOL was a non mover):cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame he managed to stay at #2 all week but was beaten at the finished line. Still beat Taylor Swift and The Wanted!

But anyway congrats to him!!! Does anyone know what the sales were?

Lets face it the two that sold more than him are massive worldwide stars.
  • Options
    y0david6y0david6 Posts: 4,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anactoria wrote: »
    Sucks to be him. Is this the lowest chart entry yet for a winner? (IIRC, Leon got to #2.)

leon charted number 5 with his album
  • Options
    SILLY SUESILLY SUE Posts: 5,499
    Forum Member

Nevermind the chart position - what about the sales? What sales has he got for his first week? Sales are more important than chart position. Personally if I was a singer, I'd rather reach number 3 with 80k sales than number 2 with 50k sales.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    y0david6 wrote: »
    leon charted number 5 with his album

Actually, I just checked and it looks like he got to #4, but I was wrong either way. At least Joe beat him, then?
    SILLY SUE wrote: »
    Nevermind the chart position - what about the sales? What sales has he got for his first week? Sales are more important than chart position. Personally if I was a singer, I'd rather reach number 3 with 80k sales than number 2 with 50k sales.

I think for most singers, that would be true, but IMO there's a mentality about chart positioning that affects X-Factor winners more than most acts. Even if Joe managed to sell twice as many copies as Leona's first album sold (which I sincerely doubt), I think people looking at it would still class her as the success and him as the disappointment.
  • Options
    Matt7Matt7 Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Number 3 is good esp as he managed to outsell The Wanted.
  • Options
    DisnaeDisnae Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    I think he's done fine considering how little airplay the single got. It's the length of time he stays in the charts and the number of sales that matter and he could go on to have very healthy sales. It's just not possible to predict at this stage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I just checked and it looks like he got to #4, but I was wrong either way. At least Joe beat him, then?

I think for most singers, that would be true, but IMO there's a mentality about chart positioning that affects X-Factor winners more than most acts. Even if Joe managed to sell twice as many copies as Leona's first album sold (which I sincerely doubt), I think people looking at it would still class her as the success and him as the disappointment.

I really doubt that to be honest, yes there is a mentality but mainly for their singles. Plus trust me Syco will care way more about sales not charts lol
  • Options
    Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's probably sold more at number three than Diana did when her album got to number one, but when you are an X Factor winner, chart positions can be used and abused by those who want to make the facts fit their story. A lot of people want Joe to fail, so his chart position will be used as evidence of that.

I don't know what Joe's long term chances are, but I hope people who aren't keen on him will let him get on with his career without trying to ruin things for him and those who do like him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe is the total package.

A complete and utter failiure on every level!!

Amen to that !!! :D:D:D
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Joe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reckon the 2nd single will be released in January when hardly anyone releases to give him a good chance of getting top 5
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mema32 wrote: »
    Amen to that !!! :D:D:D

Yh I mean to2ally. Number 3 wot up wid that? H3 shod ev been 1. Flop!!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jem19876 wrote: »
    He's probably sold more at number three than Diana did when her album got to number one, but when you are an X Factor winner, chart positions can be used and abused by those who want to make the facts fit their story. A lot of people want Joe to fail, so his chart position will be used as evidence of that.

I don't know what Joe's long term chances are, but I hope people who aren't keen on him will let him get on with his career without trying to ruin things for him and those who do like him.

That's the thing though, someone could get a number 1 and quickly go down the chart and end up with gold status. Whereas someone could manage around number 3 and end up platinum. It's obvious to me (and most people) that sales are what's important.

Sadly, you're right about people's fixations on chart positions, particularly regarding X Factor contestants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SILLY SUE wrote: »
    That's the thing though, someone could get a number 1 and quickly go down the chart and end up with gold status. Whereas someone could manage around number 3 and end up platinum. It's obvious to me (and most people) that sales are what's important.

Sadly, you're right about people's fixations on chart positions, particularly regarding X Factor contestants.

Absolutely, I mean Mumford & Sons are a perfect example, only peaked at No. 3 on the charts for their album, but ended up Platinum x2
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    I think he should release Superman as a single, a cover but a cover of a very good song by Five For fighting
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex. wrote: »
    reckon the 2nd single will be released in January when hardly anyone releases to give him a good chance of getting top 5

Could be though Alex released Broken Heels then and only hir #8 in january.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jdayeh13 wrote: »
    Absolutely, I mean Mumford & Sons are a perfect example, only peaked at No. 3 on the charts for their album, but ended up Platinum x2

To me those are more than respectable sales - in fact they're excellent sales! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he should release Superman as a single, a cover but a cover of a very good song by Five For fighting

Yeah plus it caters more to the audience that originally voted for his type of sound, I reckon if there was a 3rd single that would be it, because his 2nd single is Somebody wake me up.

Plus he is performing that single near the end of x factor 2010, which will be another good boost to his single chart performance, and his album
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    TO be honest, he beat The Wanted which means that his sales must've been average/good.

like come on -inhales- he beat THE WANTED. with their different slipcases for each member,

i think thats an achievement
  • Options
    TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    Well if the beat Taylor Swift, who is a worldwide star, that's pretty good. It would be interesting to know the sales though.