Options

Hollyoaks-has dougs character been ruined ?

dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
Forum Member
has doug in Hollyoaks been complety ruined he had so much potential during the silas and Christmas period and was a good character

now theyv turned him into a sick love puppy after ste
which dosent even make sense for starters who on earth decided this would be a good way too bring the character they should have given him is own character journey after christmas rebuilding his life and a love story with Lindsey but that would just make too much sense:rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if ruined is the word but I think they made the wrong decision to involve him with Ste and make him Gay he really come along last year as you mentioned with the Silas plot.

Now it just feels like they are doing it for cheap thrills/lack of storylines they don't have too turn everyone gay who was once straight they can once in a while bring in a character that is gay I mean they like adding characters so it wouldn't of been hard.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats the point of turning him gay if Ste is going after Brendan,

Ste never learns, how long until he gets smacked round the chops again.
  • Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    For me, yes. He was one of my favourite characters. The Christmas episode was brilliant. Now he's like a completely different person, even if you don't think about his sexuality!

I won't get into the debate about how "realistic" his coming out was - frankly I found it insulting to viewers the way his whole history was wiped and he went from confused to gay and having always been that way in the space of about four episodes. I'm not denying some people quickly accept their sexuality and jump into a relationship but for a TV show you have to get the writing and the pacing right for it to be believable. Rushed doesn't even come close.

That aside, will he ever stop crying? He's being written as if he's an over emotional 13 year old girl. This is Doug the cool American, ex-drug dealer right? The same guy? When would a guy in his twenties ever say "I didn't know what happiness was until you kissed me!"? Straight out of a Clinton's card.

Saying that, this storyline has pretty much ruined Ste and Brendan for me as well.
  • Options
    ReoReo Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    Yes, he tried to kill himself, then hosted a dinner party in the same night, they never followed it through, no-one tries to kill themselves and then gets on with their life like nothing has happened. He only became down again nearly 6 months later during this ridiculous gay storyline.

The was no reason to turn him gay, him and Ste are more like brothers than lovers, but if they had to do it, why make him gay, why not bi? That way when they final realised that this wasn't working they could just forget about it. Why ruin his last year with Bex, why make his suicide a joke because Bex apparently meant nothing to him. He went from thinking he was gay, to knowing he is gay, to always knowing he was gay to loving Ste in just a couple of weeks.

Doug was one of my favourite characters and I was really looking forward to seeing Doug and Lynsey getting together, but instead we have this and I would be happy if Doug and Ste vanished into the background.. At most I would like to see Doug away from Ste, but I don't look forward to their scenes together.
  • Options
    KMXKMX Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame he's been used for a cheap plot device to get the unbearable Ste and Brendan back together again. They'll probably send him off in the back of a black cab in a few weeks now he's been tossed aside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KMX wrote: »
    It's a shame he's been used for a cheap plot device to get the unbearable Ste and Brendan back together again. They'll probably send him off in the back of a black cab in a few weeks now he's been tossed aside.

Say that again at 7pm when Ste and Doug are back together. Crying probably.
  • Options
    BOOM-BBBOOM-BB Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was one of my favourite characters up until this storyline, which has been completely unrealistic. I don't know if it's the pairing with Ste, who irritates the hell out of me, or his sudden personality transplant which has put me off him. Why couldn't they have just put him with Lynsey? :(
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    Yes! I never particularly liked Doug. I never particularly disliked him. He was far too bland for any of that. Now, though, I really cannot stand the sight of his trembling lip or the sound of his bleating voice. Why won't they just let him go off to America or wherever?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    put it this way i didnt rate him as a character or an actor before this storyline so no i think this has made the character more better
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    If his character has been ruined, knowing Hollyoaks they'll just change more aspects of his personality and Doug will continue to get more and more unrecognisable.
  • Options
    PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't care about Doug. I just don't want them to ruin Brendan any more than they have done this week.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    How long has Doug been in HO?
    Because I only really saw his name being mentioned in the gay business,(and only read those posts) I assumed he was a fairly new character, but it seems not!
  • Options
    RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    How long has Doug been in HO?

I think Doug's been in Hollyoaks for nearly 2 years (since 2010).
  • Options
    RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually don't think Doug's character has been ruined completely....
  • Options
    Mr MoriartyMr Moriarty Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think so, but that is probably because I never thought he was a great character - I always liked the actor more than the character - Doug, for the most part, has always been emotionally needy and a little annoying - though I suppose this has put his character traits to the extreme, and I have to admit, the lad has become a tad more irritating within it
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    As a casual viewer, this story felt totally random, so I can only imagine how regular viewers felt. I randomly caught a few eps last year with Doug supporting Lynsey, and I thought they had chemistry and that they were going to get together, then I saw the suicide ep which was about his great love for some girl called Bex, but now they've turned him gay and madly in love with Ste!

That was a WTF?! moment for me. And it's all made worse by the stupid, inane decision to make him gay, instead of bi; this isn't some misguided story decision, this is TPTB making the conscious decision to make Doug gay, and insisting that he has always been this way. They're rewriting history has old as 6 months ago!

Now he's crying all the time, bawling his eyes out like Ste is this great love, like they're soul mates who have been through fire and ice to get to where they are now - talk about laying it on thick. All this doesn't feel like Doug; he's lost his backbone in the space of a couple of weeks. I don't think he's ruined, as most of this can be undone, with the (possible) exception of making him gay the way they have. The one plus is that PJ is making the material work the best he can; he's definitely giving is all.
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, The love story created is just cringy every week for me.

Totally undermines sexuality in the assumption that a gay person can turn a straight person. What happened to Bex's the love of his life....

So bewildered by the whole thing.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    No, not in my opinion - still the same Doug - he just loves Ste now.
  • Options
    margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deschanel wrote: »
    As a casual viewer, this story felt totally random, so I can only imagine how regular viewers felt. I randomly caught a few eps last year with Doug supporting Lynsey, and I thought they had chemistry and that they were going to get together, then I saw the suicide ep which was about his great love for some girl called Bex, but now they've turned him gay and madly in love with Ste!

That was a WTF?! moment for me. And it's all made worse by the stupid, inane decision to make him gay, instead of bi; this isn't some misguided story decision, this is TPTB making the conscious decision to make Doug gay, and insisting that he has always been this way. They're rewriting history has old as 6 months ago!

Now he's crying all the time, bawling his eyes out like Ste is this great love, like they're soul mates who have been through fire and ice to get to where they are now - talk about laying it on thick. All this doesn't feel like Doug; he's lost his backbone in the space of a couple of weeks. I don't think he's ruined, as most of this can be undone, with the (possible) exception of making him gay the way they have. The one plus is that PJ is making the material work the best he can; he's definitely giving is all.

Don't forget he new he was gay when a 12 year old friend Tommy gave him a hat which he couldn't stop wearing because he missed him so much!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised Ste got away with the whole change thing. Ste used to be a hooligan, he loved Amy deeply, tried to kill himself after Amy didn't want him, dated other girls as well, didn't care much for peoples' wellbeing (how he abandoned everyone after the car crash)...

But a day after being kissed by Brendan he was trying to hold his hand.

I'm not that fussed, I think the storyline saved Ste's lifespan on the show because the actor was worried about getting the axe before that storyline changed everything, but I do wonder how everyone seemed to accept Ste's change. And Ste was on the show longer than Doug!
  • Options
    pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont like the fact when kieron richardson came out

hollyoaks writers decided that ste was gay too

that annoyed me
  • Options
    callmemaybecallmemaybe Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    the way his whole history was wiped and he went from confused to gay and having always been that way in the space of about four episodes.

That aside, will he ever stop crying? He's being written as if he's an over emotional 13 year old girl. This is Doug the cool American, ex-drug dealer right? The same guy? When would a guy in his twenties ever say "I didn't know what happiness was until you kissed me!"?
    Saying that, this storyline has pretty much ruined Ste and Brendan for me as well.
    Reo wrote: »

The was no reason to turn him gay, him and Ste are more like brothers than lovers, but if they had to do it, why make him gay, why not bi? That way when they final realised that this wasn't working they could just forget about it.

Doug was one of my favourite characters and I was really looking forward to seeing Doug and Lynsey getting together, but instead we have this and I would be happy if Doug and Ste vanished into the background.. At most I would like to see Doug away from Ste, but I don't look forward to their scenes together.
    RockStars wrote: »
    He was one of my favourite characters up until this storyline, which has been completely unrealistic. I don't know if it's the pairing with Ste, who irritates the hell out of me, or his sudden personality transplant which has put me off him. Why couldn't they have just put him with Lynsey? :(

Took the words right out my mouth.
    That's how I felt about this whole. For me it's not even the fact that he turned..it's Oaks..so I wasnt really surprise. I did hate the fact that when Bex came he was in love with her and was so distraught when he found out about her death and even threatened Brendan to seeing the newspaper with Silas and throwing it like he just didnt care about the person he once loved and was a victim. They could have did that in a different way. That's like Ste coming out and forgetting the fact that he had children. (lol I dont know)
    He has been non stop crying since he started this sl hate to say it but I hope now that he is with Ste we dont see him cry again til whenever.

Ive always said this from the being.I dont think there's any going back from this. I was really rooting for Lynsey and Doug and I thought they was doing that obvi not.:mad:

It's hard for me to believe he has always been this way. If that was true they had many opportunities to show it. Ugh it is unrealistic but like Mojo said people realise this at different times of their life...but it's soap.But yea I cant really say if his character is ruined..I find him a bit annoying now..but Peej is a good actor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised Ste got away with the whole change thing. Ste used to be a hooligan, he loved Amy deeply, tried to kill himself after Amy didn't want him, dated other girls as well, didn't care much for peoples' wellbeing (how he abandoned everyone after the car crash)...

But a day after being kissed by Brendan he was trying to hold his hand.

I've said this before but I'll repeat it ;)

Ste's "awakening" was done with a gradual build up of being manipulated and made to feel special by Brendan (and the whole father figure thing). He didn't label himself, he didn't claim he'd always know but that he'd ignored some feelings he'd had. For him and his upbringing I'd say it was probably realistic that he wouldn't have acted on them. You could understand him fancying Brendan because he was very predatory like that.

Somewhere along the line when they made him dress fashionably (and out of character) and say stupid things like "I don't know women but I know men" but at first they seemed to do it pretty well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    I agree with what many have been saying, that Doug having his entire history seemingly wiped clean to fit in with the storyline and to have him suddenly realise he has been gay all his life without ever thinking that way, even fleetingly before is just ridiculous.

However, I do buy his 'lovesick, puppy dog' affection for Ste. He does seem to fall deeply and we have seen him struggle with his feelings (not always sexual). He seems like someone who would overthink things. He spent lot's of time with him getting the deli off the ground and rightly or wrongly I don't see Doug falling for Ste as a massive leap. BUT why make him gay? He could have just fallen in love with Ste, at the most they could have made the character bi. That way they didn't need the viewers to casually disregard the 'love of his life' Bex.