Options

Is Leicester really a fitting resting place for Richard III?

1231232233234235237»

Comments

• Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    The Swaledale stone is quite beautiful, I just wish it didn't look like a great big block of cheddar cheese that the cheesemonger's taken his wire to :(

It's not really my cup of tea either. As beautiful as the stone is, I think it jars with the more traditional black plinth (and especially with the rather informal italic typeface used for the motto). It's also clear from the photos that the bottom front left corner of the stone has been damaged, presumably as a result of a natural fissure in the matrix that crumbled apart as the stone was being cut.

Either way, it's done now. The bones have been reinterred and the tomb has been completed. Whatever the location, or the style of the tomb, I'm glad that Richard III finally has a recognised resting place that people can visit and stand in front of and say 'He lies here'.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    It's not really my cup of tea either. As beautiful as the stone is, I think it jars with the more traditional black plinth (and especially with the rather informal italic typeface used for the motto). It's also clear from the photos that the bottom front left corner of the stone has been damaged, presumably as a result of a natural fissure in the matrix that crumbled apart as the stone was being cut.

Either way, it's done now. The bones have been reinterred and the tomb has been completed. Whatever the location, or the style of the tomb, I'm glad that Richard III finally has a recognised resting place that people can visit and stand in front of and say 'He lies here'.

Yes I quite agree regarding the tomb. It doesn't really do it for me - it's too like a butterdish eg http://images1.chinasearch.co.uk/759/18/3068/112253/1.jpg

Still, it could be far worse. I favour its plainness as anything too grand/showy could so easily tip over into mawkishness.
  • Options
    FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No im not keen. I'll go have a look at it next week in the flesh though.

I've seen several photos of Leicester City centre tonight, there's lots of candles lit all around and it looks absolutely beautiful
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most bones dug up end up in box in the museum so he's doing pretty well wherever he goes I reckon.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Still, it could be far worse. I favour its plainness as anything too grand/showy could so easily tip over into mawkishness.

I agree with you, I still think the proposed design the Looking for Richard project came up with originally would have been fine, not too showy but much more in keeping with a medieval king.
  • Options
    collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A wonderful evening in Leicester tonight. Over 8000 candles spread across the city centre with thousands of people there.
    I had a chat with David Monteith the Dean of the cathedral and thanked him for making this whole week so special.
    Then a beautiful firework display from the cathedral. Myself and the kids had a magnificent view from the roof of our studio on the High Street just yards away.
    It's been a hell of a week. One I'll remember for the rest of my life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    I spent the week of Richard's reburial in Leicester. Everyone I met during my stay was friendly, welcoming and interested in Richard III and the events surrounding his reburial. I stood in the street to watch the procession on the Sunday and was surrounded by a lot of people from a whole range of ethnic groups, so the earlier posts regarding the lack of people from other ethnic groups were mistaken. Most people I passed were holding white roses.

I sat in the Cathedral very close to the coffin for one of the services. The pall was beautiful - the lighting in the Cathedral made the black of the velvet seem a deeper black, which allowed the embroidery to glow and stand out. The crown looked good too.

Every day, the white roses piled around Richard's statue grew higher and some were threaded around the statue itself. The queues for visiting the Cathedral were long and despite the 3-4 hour wait, the crowd remained cheerful . The clergy from the Cathedral came out to talk to the waiting crowd, drinks were provided as well as sweets.

My only regret was that I had to leave before the Reveal, so will have to go back to see the finished tomb.

Contrary to some opinions expressed on this thread, the whole thing was well done with dignity and honour. Leicester can be proud of the way it organised all the events surrounding the reburial of Richard III.