Options

What do people mean when they say "My Doctor"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
Forum Member
If you said that Tom Baker was YOUR Doctor, what would you mean by that?
Does it mean the first Doctor you watched / the one you love most / something else?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this has changed with age...PD was MY doctor - the first I saw regenrate into the doctor. But then when the film came out I had such an emotional urge for that to last & go on that PM became MY doctor for a long time. DT then took the mantle on. Yes I have a soft spot for all three & the MY is something I band about willy nilly lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    B-612 wrote: »
    If you said that Tom Baker was YOUR Doctor, what would you mean by that?
    Does it mean the first Doctor you watched / the one you love most / something else?

I always thought it was who you most identify with, for me although I did start watching Tom Baker as the doctor, Peter Davison is 'my' doctor, the bees knees of doctors, my go to etc.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of fans/viewers have one actor they identify with mostly in the role.

Can be the one they saw the most of.

Can be the one that was in the role when they started watching.

Can be their favourite portrayal in the role.

Other things

Or a combination.

HTH :)
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    For most people I think "their" Doctor is the one they were watching when they first became aware that they'd fallen in love with the programme.
    For the vast majority that's the first Doctor they remember seeing of course!
    :)
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its an awful, twee, forced phrase that makes me cringe.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too. None of the Doctor's are what is called "my" Doctor. They are all different. I suppose if you are going on the first you saw I should say William Hartnell!
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Tom Baker was my Doctor.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it's kind of like a chick imprinting on a parent. Some Doctors you just bond to, whether or not they're your favourite. Peter Davison gives me the warm fuzzies, although McCoy and Smith are favourites.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always took it as the "Doctor" you grew up "watching" - so for me it was Peter Davidson, but my Doctor will always be David Tennant just because he was for me everything a Doctor should be and his whole journey connected with me on a personal level at a time in my life where I was going through something very emotional myself and it just expressed my whole life and feelings for those few years.

So maybe it's not about who you grew up watching but who connects with you the most.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just mean my favourite. So I've got two. One Classic, one New. :)
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I always thought it was the Doctor you grew up with, who made you first watch the show. So for me that would be Tom.

Colin Baker once very eloquently said how sad it was that (prior to 2005) several generations of British children grew up without knowing the joy of having a Doctor to call their own.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, its the Doctor I remember watching on Saturday afternoons, while eating tea of sandwiches and cakes laid out on the coffee table. the Doctor I 'literally' hid behind the sofa watching, the Doctor I considered my best friend and for whom I really cared about, the Doctor I got excited about seeing on cereal packets and in the Radio Times. Finally, my Doctor was the Doctor for which I had the Denys Fisher toys so I could continue the adventures during the week. :D

I essence, YOUR Doctor is the one that invokes all these sorts of emotions and memories!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just mean my favourite. So I've got two. One Classic, one New. :)

Troughton and Tennant?
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,649
    Forum Member
    I guess it can vary looking at the posts but I always thought it meant the one when you first watched the show.

That makes Tom Baker 'my Doctor'. But then he is also the definitive Doctor. ;):D
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I always thought it was the Doctor you grew up with, who made you first watch the show. So for me that would be Tom.

Colin Baker once very eloquently said how sad it was that (prior to 2005) several generations of British children grew up without knowing the joy of having a Doctor to call their own.

I was grown up before it started!
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,649
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »

:D Nice one. Good to see you still watch it. :)
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, it's the one who had the biggest impact on me. Christopher Eccleston was my first Doctor, but Matt Smith is the one I've grown most attached too. Funnily, I felt really quite unenthusiastic when his casting was first announced, now I don't want him to go! :D:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...now I don't want him to go! :D:o

This is a very common emotion for Who fans! Whatever you think about the current Doctor, there is always an air of occasion or passing when there is a regeneration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Troughton and Tennant?

And here's me thinking no one would know which ones they are. :D:D
    Gill P wrote: »

Nice to meet another oldie. :)

I was 13 when I watched An Unearthly Child, but though I loved DW from that moment, I don't think of Hartnell as "my Doctor". :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was 13 when I watched An Unearthly Child, but though I loved DW from that moment, I don't think of Hartnell as "my Doctor". :)

Just a hunch! :D

So you would have been about 20 when Troughton left! Interestingly, do you remember how you felt about Pertwee at that time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    So you would have been about 20 when Troughton left! Interestingly, do you remember how you felt about Pertwee at that time?

I knew Pertwee as a comedian primarily, but then the lovely Patrick was a bit of a clown, so that didn't put me off. :)

I was sad to see Patrick go, especially as Jamie and Zoe went too, but I thought Pertwee's first episodes were so good, he won me over at once.

Later on, I got a bit fed up with the fact that the 3rd Doctor was confined to Earth - it was that, rather than Pertwee himself, which put me off his tenure.

I loved his interaction with Jo (in spite of the huge age gap:rolleyes:), and Sarah Jane, and, of course, the Brigadier.
  • Options
    Percy HardyPercy Hardy Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    I never had any new Doctor Who as a kid but was a fan of the classic series and would always say Tom Baker was my favourite Doctor but never just "my Doctor". It took Matt Smith to come along for me to use the term my Doctor and a couple reasons why is, he was the first Doctor I could identify with and he was the first Doctor I looked forward to watching every week.
  • Options
    SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was 3 when Doctor Who came out but never saw it until 3 years ago and haven't stop since. So Matt Smith was my first Doctor. I have been trying to make up for lost time and catching up with as many of the classic episodes as I can find.

I have all of the "new" years and have watched them at least 3 times, learning more and more each time about Who history. Reading this forum has been another history lesson that has given me many pointers and leads. Give me another year and I might even know something. :D
  • Options
    hazelnuttwhikehazelnuttwhike Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    My Doctor is McCoy, and he was my first, who I member seeing when I was a child. As for my favourite, I'm actually not sure these days!
  • Options
    georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My soctor was Jon Pertwee, which is strange because I was only eight years old when he left. I obviously starting watching it as a small child!