Love and mercy

Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,791
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I just saw this fantastic biopic about the wonderful genius that was Brian Wilson over the weekend. Paul Dano as the young Brian and John cusack were both fantastic.

I hope this is included in awards season but it may be too early :(

Anyone else see it?

Comments

• GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it on Monday as it is disappearing from my local after a week and a half. Shame it wasn't given more publicity. I thought it was fantastic -- Paul Dano especially. It was such a sad story to watch....you can hardly believe someone so famous could get so abused.

Paul Giamatti was excellent too but then there is always something so menacing about him. I just wish they could invent better wigs because his was distracting. :confused:
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gellymiss it was missing from most of the cinemas over here too (Ireland) >:(

I agree about Paul Giamatti. He was really good aswell though.

I really think Paul Dano should receive recognition for this. I read he learned the piano, gained weight and sang some of the lines from the songs and they merged Brian's voice in then plus he did so much research into Brian.

I haven't seen a biopic this good since walk the line.

I love the Beach Boys :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gellymiss it was missing from most of the cinemas over here too (Ireland) >:(

I agree about Paul Giamatti. He was really good aswell though.

I really think Paul Dano should receive recognition for this. I read he learned the piano, gained weight and sang some of the lines from the songs and they merged Brian's voice in then plus he did so much research into Brian.

I haven't seen a biopic this good since walk the line.

I love the Beach Boys :)

I love the Beach Boys too but then I'm from Calif so it would be a crime not to ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gellymiss wrote: »
    I love the Beach Boys too but then I'm from Calif so it would be a crime not to ;-)

Ooh jealous.
  • maryfairmaryfair Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I am really really cross - it isn't being shown anywhere outside of London. Disgraceful!
    Never mind films for the school holidays - don't they know the baby boomers are the biggest slice of UK population at the moment?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    maryfair wrote: »
    I am really really cross - it isn't being shown anywhere outside of London. Disgraceful!
    Never mind films for the school holidays - don't they know the baby boomers are the biggest slice of UK population at the moment?

I'm 32 and love love love Brian so his music has spanned generations :)

My mum loves the beach boys and introduced me to them at a young age.

The film should be promoted better :( unless they plan a re release closer to awards season

Paul Dano is definitely one to watch acting wise
  • maryfairmaryfair Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Sorry didn't meant to be ageist - it just irritates me so much. You are right of course, my kids love it too - and my mum, and she's 83. Grrrrr I need some love and mercy right now!
    Still.......... there's a world where I can go and tell my secrets to.......
  • sjamessjames Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this, this evening at my local independent arthouse cinema where it's being shown all week. The main two cinemas where I live never show any music biopics or documentaries just big mainstream films, so it's up to the little independents to show them instead.

Thought the film was brilliant. It's amazing how Brian survived all he went through, and still come out as a true musical genius.

Certainly one worth watching, and it's a huge shame that it's one that's not being more widely promoted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sjames wrote: »
    Saw this, this evening at my local independent arthouse cinema where it's being shown all week. The main two cinemas where I live never show any music biopics or documentaries just big mainstream films, so it's up to the little independents to show them instead.

Thought the film was brilliant. It's amazing how Brian survived all he went through, and still come out as a true musical genius.

Certainly one worth watching, and it's a huge shame that it's one that's not being more widely promoted.

It is shocking how badly it's been promoted in Europe :( It was promoted well in the US

I hope paul gets nominated this year. What a performance :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is shocking how badly it's been promoted in Europe :( It was promoted well in the US

I hope paul gets nominated this year. What a performance :)

I found this little gem on youtube you might like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5cuI5NTKVk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gellymiss wrote: »
    I found this little gem on youtube you might like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5cuI5NTKVk

Thank you. I've bookmarked it to watch later on. :)