Options

Why do people get drunk?

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offence to the OP as this is not about you Mark..but does anyone else really HATE the :confused: smiley? It looks so aggressive, and I do not know why...as it often accompanies posts that are not.

Just when I see that smiley I think..uh oh! :D

A bit OT I know..apologies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used :confused:, but :rolleyes: has to be the worst.

Just means confused I think. :)
  • Options
    JDnmJDnm Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody 'ell, Dundee_Mark, lighten up.

Im not an alcoholic. Far from it. But getting drunk occasionally is funny. I dont think anyone goes out to intentionally get absolutely wasted so that they dont remember anything and throw up everywhere, thats just when they have gone too far.

Being drunk means being merry - and if everyone is merry, they're in a good mood and you have a good night. Its not essential every time you go out, but every now and then, its fun. It breaks down social barriers, you see people in their true light, and it helps you when you go on the dancefloor in a club. Ever tried going for a dance stone cold sober? You feel like a tool.

Dont take yourself so seriously.

You never been drunk?
  • Options
    ExaminusExaminus Posts: 22,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think its a bad thing that Mark doesn't drink. But I also don't think he should think its a bad thing for others to drink and maybe not criticise without experience :p
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    examinus wrote:
    Because the positive aspects outweigh the nagative ones. And, as you put yourself, the negative side is pretty bad which surely proves how good it is for many people.
    That's strange logic. Be honest - could you possibly get by without alcohol for any length of time?
    JDnm wrote:
    I dont think anyone goes out to intentionally get absolutely wasted so that they dont remember anything and throw up everywhere, thats just when they have gone too far.
    That's more the people I'm on about; and there are people I know who are like that, except they seem to forget the throwing-up part.

And did you all know that, technically, it is illegal for you to get "wasted" on licensed premises? Once you are showing signs of being drunk, the licensee has a legal obligation to remove, or have you removed, from the premises.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for people having a few drinks, but I just don't get why they need to have so many that they are drunk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's strange logic. Be honest - could you possibly get by without alcohol for any length of time?

I do. Alcohol isn't a necessity, its a luxury.
  • Options
    little herblittle herb Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being drunk comes from drinking alcohol, its part of modern day social intercourse,
    in fact people have been drinking to get drunk for 1000's of years.
    unfortunately my drinking days are long gone I only get to go out once a month with work nowadays.................oh how I miss walking around with a traffic cone on my head :(:(:cry::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    examinus wrote:
    I do. Alcohol isn't a necessity, its a luxury.
    I commend you for that :)

However, people I know see it as a necessary luxury (if that makes sense).

(PS - I know I keep referring to "people I know", but I can assure you, I do know people like this, which was what prompted me to bring it up in the "things you don't understand" thread.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DM..just wondering - have you ever been really drunk?

I dont mean that in a nasty way..just wondering :) 'Cos otherwise you cant really say its a "bad" thing unless you've experienced it. Its hard to explain because when you are sober and everyone else is drunk it feels a bit weird, i know. Everyone seems to act in totally bizzare ways..but when you are in that "way" as well then everything makes sense somehow..its like an alternate reality.

Oh..and it doesnt help if you are the only one drunk and everyone else is sober either :o
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .oh how I miss walking around with traffic cones on my head :(:(:cry::D

I think that nicely answers the original question. :D

And for the record I could easily go without alcohol, I sometimes go a month or two without any (I sometimes drive to nights out) and it doesn't bother me. But getting really drunk can be great fun, maybe if you haven't experienced it that's why you don't understand it dundee_mark? (I don't know whether you have or haven't been drunk, so please don't take offence).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP. I think being slightly tipsy is ok, or the very occasional drunken experience. But regularly and deliberately getting yourself seriously drunk to the point of alcohol poisoning is just stupid.

Visit your local A&E department on a typical weekend night to see the multitude of medical consequences of drunkenness and drink fueled violence.

It's no fun, and utterly needless.

And people can and do die from puking vomit into their lungs while semi-comatose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being drunk comes from drinking alcohol, its part of modern day social intercourse
    But why is it part of modern day social intercourse? Why must you drink so much you get drunk? It is possible to drink alcohol without getting drunk. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I commend you for that :)

However, people I know see it as a necessary luxury (if that makes sense).

(PS - I know I keep referring to "people I know", but I can assure you, I do know people like this, which was what prompted me to bring it up in the "things you don't understand" thread.)

What a lovely oxymoron :p

I think your friends need to prioritise. Nobody ever needs to get drunk. With a responsible attitude, drinking for many people is fun and has little consequence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exulus wrote:
    DM..just wondering - have you ever been really drunk?

I dont mean that in a nasty way..just wondering :) 'Cos otherwise you cant really say its a "bad" thing unless you've experienced it. Its hard to explain because when you are sober and everyone else is drunk it feels a bit weird, i know. Everyone seems to act in totally bizzare ways..but when you are in that "way" as well then everything makes sense somehow..its like an alternate reality.

Oh..and it doesnt help if you are the only one drunk and everyone else is sober either :o
    I haven't drunk alcohol yet. :)

But I have seen and heard the effects of drinking too much, and even though I either wouldn't know about it or not think anything of it, I would still prefer not to experience them.
  • Options
    little herblittle herb Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But why is it part of modern day social intercourse? Why must you drink so much you get drunk? It is possible to drink alcohol without getting drunk. :)
    going out is better than sitting down and watching telly I suppose, at least it involves communication with other people. :D
    getting drunk is a good way of forgetting lifes worries for a few precious hours, it may be a strange concept for some people, but i think others will agree.
    as I have said, I only get the luxury once a month. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But I have seen and heard the effects of drinking too much, and even though I either wouldn't know about it or not think anything of it, I would still prefer not to experience them.
    ok cool :) Well, from what a person looks like on the outside to what they feel on the inside can be very different. Its kinda hard to explain the feeling of being drunk until you actually do it.

Im not saying you should if its againts your principles or whatever, but if you do then why not try it at home with some friends in a relaxed situation rather than going out and getting sloshed? That way you'll be able to see what its like and call it a night if you dont like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doing pretty much anything too much is bad for you. You can eat too much, drink too much, work too much, even exercise too much.

Everything in moderation ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So to be fair, if you haven't drunk, you don't know exactly why people do it.

I don't understand why people do drugs, as I don't do it. I can't understand people smoking..I hate it! But that is because I do not.

I guess you need to have some sort of empathy to understand anothers needs.

No offence. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh and its quite easy to get drunk and not have the horrible after effects a lot of people go on about. They dont know how to control themselves! A good meal before you start drinking, drinking in combos of alcohol then water, and finally having a bit more food before you go to sleep and a final pint of water (actually, i find downing lucozade before bedtime works, it replaces any lost electrolytes through dancing, drinking, and any other activities!!). You'll wake up feeling good :)
  • Options
    swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 5,390
    Forum Member
    I don't get anywhere near as drunk as I used to. And let me tell you, I don't have anywhere near as much fun as I used to.

Make of that what you will :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exulus wrote:
    Oh and its quite easy to get drunk and not have the horrible after effects a lot of people go on about. They dont know how to control themselves! A good meal before you start drinking, drinking in combos of alcohol then water, and finally having a bit more food before you go to sleep and a final pint. You'll wake up feeling good :)

Yes. The French drink all the time..but they don't all get trashed.

I guess the difference here is does the OP mean drunk as in what we see in the papers, with the binge drinking culture...or is commenting on us people here on Saturday and Sunday nights, as this is where the thread originated from.

There is a difference..for one thing..alot of us could be exaggerating on a forum. I know I do sometimes! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's difficult to be a student and not drink alcohol :eek:

having said all that^, the student pub crawl experience is something of a rite of passage... at least it was in the good olde days... I still treasure memories of mine... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (I think from now on, I'll just be referring to the now infamous "people I know" ;))
    Bohochick wrote:
    So to be fair, if you haven't drunk, you don't know exactly why people do it.

I don't understand why people do drugs, as I don't do it. I can't understand people smoking..I hate it! But that is because I do not.

I guess you need to have some sort of empathy to understand anothers needs.

No offence. :)
    You're right - I don't know whay people do it. I don't know why people do it when it causes you to more or less lose several hours of your life. I lose enough of mine through sleep - I don't want to throw more of it away when I don't need to ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (I think from now on, I'll just be referring to the now infamous "people I know" ;))

You're right - I don't know whay people do it. I don't know why people do it when it causes you to more or less lose several hours of your life. I lose enough of mine through sleep - I don't want to throw more of it away when I don't need to ;)
    Sorry, what? How do you lose hours of your life? :confused: If you are talking about the damage it does to your body, then just remember walking out the house damages your body with harmful gases, eating practically every food gives you cancer etc etc etc...

Apoligies if thats not what you meant but if not, then what do ya mean?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Answering the title of the thread, i think people get drunk, because they like the sensation they get when drinking a lot of alcohol. It relaxes you, you aren't so concerned with what other people think, and you have the courage to do things that you would never normally do if you were sober.