Digital Switchover & Retunes: London (Merged)

Comments

• PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greebo wrote: »
    Dusty- between DSO1 and DSO2 it is normal to have some (but not all) repeated BBC channels in the 800s- during this period you can receive the new PSB1 mux containing the full BBC service and also the old Mux B containing a second copy of BBC4, cbeebies, BBC Parliament, 303 and the BBC radio services. This will all resolve itself on April 18th.

I'm getting this-I'v just retuned and got BBC4,Parliament et al in the 800s-and this is with my box running off the loop aerial on the portable set in the kitchen.
    From earlier posts it seems I only just missed ITV reappearing on CH33 but I did see Mux 1 go off-had my box on BBC1,one of the other channels must have hit a junction first as it went off just before the end of The Apprentice.

[QUOTE=Sue_Aitch;57474326
    Please excuse my spelling mistakes earlier as an aerial is an antenna, Arial is a Font and Ariel is a Washing Powder/Liquid Brand.[/QUOTE]

"Likes" this post. (Mods,we need an FB-type "like" option).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Will the next re-tune on 18th be as 'dramatic' as this one, this morning i.e. will I be presented with an EPG on my TV that is empty again until I do a re-scan?
    This morning, I re-scanned my TV, Pionneer DVD HDD recorder and my new Humax PVR HDT2 and everything OK from CP transmitter.
    Of course I had to re-enter all those programmes i wanted to record as a series etc starting with today's Eggheads and Apprentice etc.

Maybe! It depends on the software in your various DTTRs, I would imagine.

You could always follow the advice given by BBC Reception Advice and the manufacturers' own online or hardcopy bits and bobs.
  • Thames/LWTThames/LWT Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    It's switchover phone-in time again, on BBC Berkshire now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_berkshire
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problems retuning this morning. The BBC A mux is at 90% strength here compared to 65% for the others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    I called Humax in the end & they sent instructions to do factory reset & then retune manually. Most of it is fixed after that though there is still BBCFOUR in the 800s as well as in it's correct place.
    Not looking forward to the 18th. It has taken me 4 hours to sort all this today
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBCFOUR in the 800s as well as in it's correct place.

Yes, BBC 4 (and BBC Parliament, CBeebies, and BBC radio) will be duplicated in the 800s until stage 2, quite normal, the reason why is explained up thread,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My DSO Stage 2 is later in the year: I'll simply retune everything without the aerial lead in the night before, switch off and forget about it till I want to switch on the following day: both DTTRs will soon do first time installations and the Analogue Telly will soon pick up the RF Modulated signal from the DVD Recorder when I plug it all in again on the Wednesday morning after my transmitter's completion is confirmed on the DUK page.
  • planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    BBC A mux should this morning be running at full final power, 200kW. The remaining muxes will still be at low power until the 18th.

I'm using a very simple indoor aerial with direct line of sight to the Crystal Palace transmitter. Prior to the changeover my signal strength was 75%.....post initial changeover it's still 75% :confused:

I've always had a perfect digital picture on the DigiTV card inside my computer. Whilst the picture I get cannot really be bettered I did expect to record a slightly higher strength signal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Fairly new to site, therefore am having problems finding new thread?

I have a Magic Eye for my sky extension to the bedroom, re tuned today but have no sky, is the a way of retuning my sky without analogue?

Second point, can you retune a video to watch old tapes?

Regards

Tony
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    topdeals wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a Magic Eye for my sky extension to the bedroom, re tuned today but have no sky, is the a way of retuning my sky without analogue?

Second point, can you retune a video to watch old tapes?Regards

Tony

If you mean a Video Cassete Recorder, then that does not need to have an active tuner to watch old tapes from your collection. However If you watch to record from it now, you'll need some Freeview box/plug in Freeview adapter plugged into it to enable you to record programmes onto tape.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Regards

Tony

If your TV worked with the eye before DSO, it ought to be able to still work today now: are you using an RF Channel to distribute the Sky signal that is not getting cross-interference from other signals?
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am only getting 40% on BBC1 on channel 23 mux here yet 60% quality I think Clacton may be overloading the signal as this is always on 100% on both.
    Might adjust the aerial but not worth it till the other muxs come on line.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope you meant 100%;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the video with the analogue switch off here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FRIztdAJKg
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Make sure the sky box is switched on while you retune so that the bedroom TV will tune an analogue channel to it. You'll now have 5 analogue channels left- 1,3,4,5,sky - and after April 18th the Sky RF feed from downstairs will be your only remaining analogue channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 23 seems to have settled down and is going fine now.
  • Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Regards

Tony
    You will continue to use / view these on the TV's analogue tuners just as you did previously.
    You will need to switch from DigitalTV to AnalogueTV to do so (if they are equipped with digital tuners).

As others have said make sure the Sky box and VCR are on when tuning the analogue side of the sets as - otherwise - they will be 'lost'.
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Crystal Palace transmitter group DSO1 is nearly complete. DUK say that just 2 small relays are not yet officially in service, Greenwich & Skirmett.

EDIT 1511 Now all complete.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    leslie123 wrote: »
    What about the relay stations of which there are many? Will ITV1 analogue come back on air on their original frequencies or like Crystal Palace main station, will ITV1 be broadcast on BBC2 transmitters.

Depends on the frequency allocated for BBC A at each site. Arqiva follow the path of least resistance: they won't retune a relay unless they have to. Spectrum planning has usually allocated BBC A to BBC Two's old frequency, unless an upstream transmitter has a channel swap, in which case they follow the channel swap, unless that frequency is also unusable for some reason.

Digital UK's Installer Newsletter says that ITV1 replaces BBC Two at all relays except Chepping Wycombe, Dorking, Hemel Hempstead, Lea Bridge and Skirmett. At Chepping Wycombe, Dorking, Hemel Hempstead and Skirmett, BBC A has been allocated BBC Two's frequency (not sure why). Lea Bridge used C39 for ITV1 which is still mostly being cleared (the plan originally was to drop C31-C40 and C63-C68, all the plans were done on this basis and then the groups tweaked when it was decided to drop C61 and C62 and retain C39 and C40 instead).

The other exception is Wooburn where ITV1 has moved to 2 and BBC One has moved to 3. That's because BBC One on C49 would clash with BBC A on C48 (analogues clash with digital signals in the channel below, unless the filtering is modified, which isn't worth doing for two weeks), though why BBC A didn't take C52 instead I don't know. ITV1 moving to 2 is a consequence of the change at Crystal Palace itself, and by moving BBC One to C56 they only had to retune one transmitter, not two.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not looking forward to the 18th.
    I am. It'll finally be full power Com muxes and the end of the Rowridge (Meridian) DSO after six long weeks. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    I've never seen this mentioned before at DSO events, but the SI for the new BBC A Mux is already being broadcast in London. There is a new section of the NIT with 8 directories (existing 6 muxes, HD mux and new BBC A). Also the SDT has duplicate channels. All the duplicated channels have LCN information, so it doesn't matter which version is tuned in first, the viewer will get the correct channel number.

There are a lot of posts on ukfree.tv from people whose boxes or TVs keep prompting them to retune after they've already done so, with an uncancellable message. I do hope this isn't the reason. Is it still going out with 8 directories?

(Assuming that they don't just mean the MHEG popup, which I got on ITV1 shortly after retuning.)
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    I am. It'll finally be full power Com muxes and the end of the Rowridge (Meridian) DSO after six long weeks. :rolleyes:
    Hear hear, it will be so good to get it over with. I had to do a bit more than I'd hoped this morning; different receivers handled my attempts to manually scan channel 23 differently, some moving the old BBC channels to the 800s, some putting the new ones there. I still wasn't able to preserve my recording schedule on the Humax, thought I might get away with it, having managed to switch between Crystal Palace and Reigate transmitters without losing it, but the IDs or whatever must have changed so no joy. Anyway, I'd written down all the BBC programmes in the schedule last night and the non-BBC stuff remained. Come April 18th I'll manually delete and rescan channels to leave the BBC stuff intact, since that generally accounts for well over half of the schedule.
    Forum Member
    kruador wrote: »
    'Plug in' and 'unplug' make it sound easy. We're talking about rigid feeders (coaxial copper pipes) carrying 15 kW or more of electrical power. No doubt 'U' links were provided to make the actual make/break of connections easy, but you still don't want to do it with the power on!

Arqiva's London switchover blog has a photo of rigid feeders, channel combiners, and 'U' links at Crystal Palace.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kruador wrote: »
    Arqiva's London switchover blog has a photo of rigid feeders, channel combiners, and 'U' links at Crystal Palace.
    The current power of Freeview from Crystal Palace is 200kW per multiplex (effective radiated power). By the end of the switchover it will be boosted to 200kW

Proofreading, proofreading!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will continue to use / view these on the TV's analogue tuners just as you did previously.
    You will need to switch from DigitalTV to AnalogueTV to do so (if they are equipped with digital tuners).

As others have said make sure the Sky box and VCR are on when tuning the analogue side of the sets as - otherwise - they will be 'lost'.

Newbiw Topdeals has posted to the Sky Subforum about the Eye since their maiden post.