Chemo Vs Hemp Oil

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Her biggest worry I think is losing her job as she would be too sick to do chemo and work. And she loves her job and worked hard to get it. But she won't get it back if she's too ill for 2 years.

Would Chemo be so bad she would have to stop work?

I worked part time during my chemo. one - i couldn't afford to give up altogther as the bills still keep coming in; and two - it was great to do something 'normal' to take my mind off things;

It does need discussing with her manager / boss as there are loads of 'rights' for working people diagnosed with cancer which can be balanced with how she feels during treatment.

I wish your friend well and it sounds to me like she hasnt taken in / passed on the wealth of support & information that is available to her. She is lucky to have you help her find her way through this.
  • Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for not reading the thread in it's entirety. My wife has been working as secretary to the Oncology consultants in the local hospital, and believe you me the NHS would NOT suggest Chemo or Radiology lightly. They know what the after effects are, and these treatments are not undertaken lightly, or (most importantly) without a good likelihood of a positive outcome for the patient. So if I were her I'd discuss the reason for the treatment with her consultant, the outcome they hope for and the success rates and most importantly her worries!

Personally, I'd stick with the chemo and throw the snake oil recommended by Mr. Icke in the bin. The cancer treatments consultants recommend are done so in the knowledge that they have a good success rate backed up by a lot of worldwide research. I'd seriously doubt the studies that say hemp oil works better than chemo - sorry.

My wife is quite often typing letters to GP's to inform them the patient has died or been switched to palliative care when the consultants know that if the patient had come forward with symptoms earlier, or not been so insistent that alternative treatment was the first choice and established treatment when that failed would have been alive with a reasonable quality of life under the circumstances.
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    Your sarcasm on this subject disgusts me, you clearly have no idea what people go through when diagnosed with cancer, how they are thinking, they are grieving for their life which they may lose, their thought process is not often rational. I have watched my best friend go through chemo and radiotherapy and she was in so much pain and so Ill she said never again she would rather die.

they can't do anything for her now as her cancer is stage 3 to 4 which puts her into palliative care she is in pain daily and trying to figure out at 35 how to say goodbye to four children two of which will never remember her and one who will barely remember her and one who will never get over losing her

I completely agree with what you've said. Sadly, the amount of sarcasm on Digital Spy forums is astonishing, even in serious threads like this one.
  • PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoever suggested that Hemp oli has 100% success and Chemo 2% needs to be taken to court for manslaughter if not murder.

Because putting such ideas into the heads of vulnerable people is frankly tanatamount to murder.

And my wife has recently been through 6 months of chemo for breast cancer. It was not pleasant, but so far it appears that she has made a great recovery. Whilst I cannot comment on specifics of your friend's case, resorting to hemp oil should only be a last resort when proven conventional alternatives have been tried and failed.

And in response to a post above, I would not regard taking hemp oil as "retarded" but "misininformed".

I wish your friend luck.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bless her, she must be very scared and feeling desperate. I hope she recovers.

Personally I think the cash strapped NHS would jump at a chance to ditch all its expensive cancer wards and chemotherapy units and replace them with a hemp oil treatment if it thought it would work as well.

When my dad had cancer he had all the standard treatment and wouldn't have considered anything else. My step mum coped with his diagnosis by supplying him with various natural remedies. I think her favourite was honey. She beleived in all that, he didn't, but it helped her to get through it all.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    Bless her, she must be very scared and feeling desperate. I hope she recovers.

Personally I think the cash strapped NHS would jump at a chance to ditch all its expensive cancer wards and chemotherapy units and replace them with a hemp oil treatment if it thought it would work as well.

When my dad had cancer he had all the standard treatment and wouldn't have considered anything else. My step mum coped with his diagnosis by supplying him with various natural remedies. I think her favourite was honey. She beleived in all that, he didn't, but it helped her to get through it all.

And that is what matters finding something to help you through and help you fight, chemo is aggressive and barbaric and worse than the cancer but it is what's available and has helped a lot of people and extended there life in cases.

Depending on what stage the cancer is there are options she may be able to have a hysterectomy etc. the Macmillan people and Hospiscare people are fabulous I cannot praise them enough unlike your average nurses and doctors
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    Depends on whether the chemo is curative or palliative.

If curative its gots to be chemo everytime....your life is at stake.

If palliative I would probably ditch the chemo and concentrate on living my remaining life to the full.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand her fear, but she should definitely 100% stick with the chemo. By all means she could use Hemp oil as well - personally when I was going through chemo I used homeopathy as well and I really believe it helped me and that without it I would have had much worse symptoms than I did. But would I have given up the chemo for the homeopathy? Never in a million years (for me, chemo had 60% chance. I'm sure I could have found plenty of people claiming higher with homeopathy). When it comes to cancer, nothing is 100%, but 2% seems very unlikely to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I agree with Amber Panda, I was diagnosed with 2b2 cervical cancer in 2003 and had cisplatin chemo once a week for 6 weeks along side daily radiotherapy - it was hell really sick even with the anti sickness drugs BUT it got better , I went back to full time work after 12 weeks and I AM STILL HERE!
    Trust the professionals not a dream seller and good luck to your relative.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given the fact that no one has really posted anything in support of hemp oil, I would probably stick with Chemo. Deffinately think its a good idea to get her to a support group, she needs to talk to people that are going through the same thing and understand her thought process. Its easy for me to say that the sensible thing to do is stay on the chemo, but I haven't had cancer, its not like going and fixing a broken leg, there are alot of side effects and I can't imagine how that must feel. So I don't judge her for thinking about alternative.

As a side note, I have deffinately heard the stories about hemp oil and what it can do, but I have never spoken to anyone directly who has had a good result from it. I did read that Larry Hagman used it and claimed it cured him, then I heard he had taken a turn for the worse and didnt make it,

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/international-cannabis-news/175760-larry-hagman-marijuana-medicine.html
  • workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterLily wrote: »
    Depends on whether the chemo is curative or palliative.

If curative its gots to be chemo everytime....your life is at stake.

If palliative I would probably ditch the chemo and concentrate on living my remaining life to the full.

best response so far.
  • djpalmer93djpalmer93 Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    I think it should be up to her as it's her life, even if that's not what your family wants.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a serious topic, and one that we will hear more of in future.

Alternative therapies like the one suggested, acupuncture, homeopathy, chiropractic, ear candling, cupping, reiki, faith healing have no benefit other than placebo.
  • Anna_123Anna_123 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    Your sarcasm on this subject disgusts me, you clearly have no idea what people go through when diagnosed with cancer, how they are thinking, they are grieving for their life which they may lose, their thought process is not often rational. I have watched my best friend go through chemo and radiotherapy and she was in so much pain and so Ill she said never again she would rather die.

they can't do anything for her now as her cancer is stage 3 to 4 which puts her into palliative care she is in pain daily and trying to figure out at 35 how to say goodbye to four children two of which will never remember her and one who will barely remember her and one who will never get over losing her
    :cry:

TWS, its not much but wanted to say my thoughts and prayers are with your friend
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Alternative therapies like the one suggested, acupuncture, homeopathy, chiropractic, ear candling, cupping, reiki, faith healing have no benefit other than placebo.

Which makes it very scary that the heir to the throne supports alternative therapies, and is more than happy to shoot his mouth off about it. :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Which makes it very scary that the heir to the throne supports alternative therapies, and is more than happy to shoot his mouth off about it. :mad:

Indeed it is. I hope that he regrets that statement now - it could have caused so much pain and problems for people who are ignorant about homeopathy.

People often confuse homeopathy with some sort of herbal or organic 'medicine' and are completely ignorant about what it actually is - water.

In a modern society in the UK, i walk down my high street and see shops selling Homeopathic water, shops selling aromatherapy oils, Chiropractors, Chinese Medicines, offering acupuncture.

It is very depressing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed it is. I hope that he regrets that statement now - it could have caused so much pain and problems for people who are ignorant about homeopathy.

People often confuse homeopathy with some sort of herbal or organic 'medicine' and are completely ignorant about what it actually is - water.

In a modern society in the UK, i walk down my high street and see shops selling Homeopathic water, shops selling aromatherapy oils, Chiropractors, Chinese Medicines, offering acupuncture.

It is very depressing.

I suspect that Camilla's osteoporosis is probably controlled by something a bit more pharmaceutical than the secular equivalent of holy water. :cool:

Mind you, I'm not against the placebo effect in minor illness, the body has wonderful powers of restoration, and sometimes belief can be as good as a regular drug. But if you're seriously ill to the point that the body's immune system has broken down, it won't work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    I suspect that Camilla's osteoporosis is probably controlled by something a bit more pharmaceutical than the secular equivalent of holy water. :cool:

Mind you, I'm not against the placebo effect in minor illness, the body has wonderful powers of restoration, and sometimes belief can be as good as a regular drug. But if you're seriously ill to the point that the body's immune system has broken down, it won't work.

Its easy to champion the placebo effect of "water", whilst at the same time having access to the very best private medical care money can buy.

Placebo is there and has a role, but unfortunately more harmful quackery has made itself into big business. MOTP actually think these things work, and better than medicine also.

Ive never yet met an advocate for homeopathy who would take a remedy for toothache, or a broken leg.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never yet met an advocate for homeopathy who would take a remedy for toothache, or a broken leg.

:D
    As the Admirable Crichton (JM Barrie) said, "Circumstances might alter cases". When it comes down to it, life is precious enough to sacrifice a whole load of principles for.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Anna_123 wrote: »
    :cry:

TWS, its not much but wanted to say my thoughts and prayers are with your friend

Thanks it is awful and i am only on the sidelines to speak, she is back in the hospice atm having a rest as they can manage the pain better than at home but hopefully she will be out soon and fight for a few more months yet
  • Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well personally I would be suggesting to her that she take both treatments in order to give her the very best chances of beating the cancer.

It doesn't really matter if the hemp oil has no physical effect if she's taking the chemo alongside and I think it's pretty pointless (and a bit cruel!) to upset someone unnecessarily by berating them for wanting to believe in the hemp oil.

She must be really frightened, I know I would be, and i've not had cancer but a couple of family members have. One relative had a 30% chance of survival but didn't know this and the hospital staff were positive and cheerful and my relative believed she would get better and became the 30% statistic, rather then one of the 70% who died.

So why not get together with your relative and perhaps look at other ways that might alleviate the pain or symptoms a little bit? That way she will feel more that you're on her side and will likely be more amenable to continuing the chemo, rather than if she feels you're just having a go at her?

A colleague of my ex husband's had a fairly aggressive type of cancer that killed him in about 6 months and he found great solace in things like hypnotherapy and reiki. He'd previously slagged those kinds of things off but admitted to my ex that they had helped a great deal in him coming to terms with things and making him feel calmer, so perhaps suggest something like that too if she has enough money?

Feeling positive and calm I think is important in many ways, it's not just about the injections acting in a physical way, it's good to think about the mental aspect, too.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djpalmer93 wrote: »
    I think it should be up to her as it's her life, even if that's not what your family wants.

Yes it is up to her as long as she has access to proven scientific evidence about the success rate of any particular treatment and can thus make an informed judgement
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it is up to her as long as she has access to proven scientific evidence about the success rate of any particular treatment and can thus make an informed judgement

Sorry but none of that is needed if you are the patient, its a personal choice. You can't be forced to have treatment, unless you are deemed not of sound mind.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bambii wrote: »
    Sorry but none of that is needed if you are the patient, its a personal choice. You can't be forced to have treatment, unless you are deemed not of sound mind.

A 'personal' choice has to be an informed choice, otherwise it isn't a real choice is it?