Len's Exit Confirmed

DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
Forum Member
✭✭
Len has confirmed that season 20 will be his last on DWTS. The quotes from the DS report:

"Next year, I'm not going to do the flying backwards and forwards – I'm not going to do the American show... I've got to have a bit of time off

"I've got my wife, I've got my son, my mother is still alive and she's in hospital – I've had virtually no time to go and visit her.

"So, I just need a bit of time off to get on with a normal life. And it was either Strictly went or the American one went or the tour went... I'm doing the spring one when I go out there... and that's going to be my last one.

"Next year is their 10th year, it's the 20th series of the show. So I think that's a nice place to stop."

It confirms why they brought Julianne in, give her two seasons to get into her stride, then I suspect they'll go back to three (Unless Maks REALLY wants to come back a third time, but I'd argue Val has to step down as pro then because Maks' support of his brother makes being partisan an inevitability. Julianne never organised systematic support campaigns for Derek.)

Comments

• edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh wow a bit shocked :(
    The beginning of the end for dancing with the stars imo :(:(

I still think that Julianne has no place on the panel.I'm pretty sure that it will be Mark and Derek last season as well. Really sure. Their side ventures are really taking off and they're only doing next season because of loyalty .

I won't be watching the next season anyways.I'll just tune in to see what they will do for the anniversary.

Can't stand Julianne or Carrie Ann on that panel. Urghhh !!!
  • ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm kinda expecting Maks to take over on the panel from Len. He's a ratings draw - and really, what else matters?
  • DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elsa wrote: »
    I'm kinda expecting Maks to take over on the panel from Len. He's a ratings draw - and really, what else matters?

Likability? Without Meryl there I think his own self-importance will take over again.

By any means, at least they got Julianne first to take over as the ballroom expert.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No offense but only delusionals Maks fans seem to think that Maks is some kind of " ratings draw " ......Please.......some pros seem to think that they are bigger than the show.Uhmmmm....No thats NOT the case.

When Derek left in season 12, the ratings were not affected despite what his fans said; When Maks left seasons again, same thing.....Some pros have delusions of grandeur perpetuated by their fanbase.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edy10 wrote: »
    No offense but only delusionals Maks fans seem to think that Maks is some kind of " ratings draw " ......Please.......some pros seem to think that they are bigger than the show.Uhmmmm....No thats NOT the case.

When Derek left in season 12, the ratings were not affected despite what his fans said; When Maks left seasons again, same thing.....Some pros have delusions of grandeur perpetuated by their fanbase.

Well, fair comment, but I did want to point out that I'm not a Maks fan - can't stand him. I just thought I remembered that the ratings jumped 3/10ths of a point when Maks was brought in to judge a couple seasons ago. Could be wrong - not even sure how to go check ?? And anyhow, not to worry, they won't consult me :D I won't even be watching anymore (unless they bring Tristan or Gleb - or Dmitry - back)

And when Derek left, I think the ratings went UP for Season 12 :D:D:D (I hate him more than I hate Maks)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, fair comment, but I did want to point out that I'm not a Maks fan - can't stand him. I just thought I remembered that the ratings jumped 3/10ths of a point when Maks was brought in to judge a couple seasons ago. Could be wrong - not even sure how to go check ?? And anyhow, not to worry, they won't consult me :D I won't even be watching anymore (unless they bring Tristan or Gleb - or Dmitry - back)

I really want them to bring Gleb back :(; Tristan is stuck with strictly I think and Im fine with that :D; I like him much better over here :)

Unfortunately, I dont think they will ever bring Dmitry back :(;
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want them to bring Gleb back :(; Tristan is stuck with strictly I think and Im fine with that :D; I like him much better over here :)

Unfortunately, I dont think they will ever bring Dmitry back :(;

That's the thing. I'm a curse. Every pro I like, going back to Alec Mazo, gets crapped on. I should probably quit watching Strictly to give Tristan a chance!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the thing. I'm a curse. Every pro I like, going back to Alec Mazo, gets crapped on. I should probably quit watching Strictly to give Tristan a chance!

Whatever happened to Alec :confused:Last time I heard, Edyta had a baby.
    Im hopefuly that Tristan will have a contender next year. Fingers Crossed; Then again every season, I used to hope the same thing on DWTS when he was still there.

Since Len is leaving and that Kym is doing the DWTS tour, maybe they could bring her as a permanent judge :confused: She certainly has MORE experience than Julianne and is a judge on the Australian version (even though that version is a bit pants :blush:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im hopefuly that Tristan will have a contender next year. Fingers Crossed; Then again every season, I used to hope the same thing on DWTS when he was still there.

Since Len is leaving and that Kym is doing the DWTS tour, maybe they could bring her as a permanent judge :confused: She certainly has MORE experience than Julianne and is a judge on the Australian version (even though that version is a bit pants :blush:)

Julianne AND Kym would be a very dynamic duo with their combined experiences! However, not sure Kym would leave her homeland show to judge America!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edyta and Alec had a baby, Michael, who's 11 months old. Here's a tweet with a link to a photo of him:

Edyta Sliwinska @Edyta_Sliwinska · Oct 6

Can't believe Michael is already 9 months old! http://instagram.com/p/t07Sfpobd3/

They're still doing stage shows and such - Tristan was in one they produced in Canada just before Strictly started. It's why he and Trent were late getting to London (Trent and his wife were in the show as well)
  • thengp12thengp12 Posts: 5,670
    Forum Member

Yes the Aussie version is a bit c**p and a tad sexist. A WOMAN HAS NOT WON IN SEVEN YEARS! But it birthed Kym and Natalie. The greatest pros ever to exist IMHO
  • RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big kick in the balls for DWTS losing Len. He's just so funny with his Len-isms and is the quintessential English villain for the show.

Julianne should be on the dance floor, not on the judging panel. She just copies Carrie Ann's past scripts for the most part.

They've got to find better than her but finding another Len is going to be nigh on impossible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big kick in the balls for DWTS losing Len. He's just so funny with his Len-isms and is the quintessential English villain for the show.

Julianne should be on the dance floor, not on the judging panel. She just copies Carrie Ann's past scripts for the most part.

They've got to find better than her but finding another Len is going to be nigh on impossible.

I can guarantee the reason they got Julianne is because they needed to replace Len with A) a ballroom expert, and B) someone people had heard of1 An ex-pro fit the bill nicely, hence why if another comes in it'll be Maks or Kym, or someone of that ilk because an entirely new name will go downhill steadily- they're not on solid ground with the guest judges as it is!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And when Derek left, I think the ratings went UP for Season 12 :D:D:D (I hate him more than I hate Maks)

Maks was guest judge for the Season 17 Semifinals. Ratings often go up for the Semifinals. They went up 5/10ths of a percent Season 15's Semifinals and 4/10ths of a point Season 18 semifinals. It's easy to check - just put DWTS Wikipedia Season x in the search box. The ratings are there for every season but a couple, such as Season 12. No idea why those aren't available.

Rob Wade did say Maks was a good friend and he wanted to work with him again. So I would not be surprised if they added Maks as a judge. And I think he'd be a good judge.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One can think of Len as an old fuddy-duddy, but he has a screen presence like not many others have. It's big shoes to fill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maks was guest judge for the Season 17 Semifinals. Ratings often go up for the Semifinals. They went up 5/10ths of a percent Season 15's Semifinals and 4/10ths of a point Season 18 semifinals. It's easy to check - just put DWTS Wikipedia Season x in the search box. The ratings are there for every season but a couple, such as Season 12. No idea why those aren't available.

Rob Wade did say Maks was a good friend and he wanted to work with him again. So I would not be surprised if they added Maks as a judge. And I think he'd be a good judge.

Except how can he be impartial?
  • kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »
    Except how can he be impartial?

He can't but neither can Julianne 'let's give 8 for no content' Hough. Will miss Len on dwts
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kp2ni wrote: »
    He can't but neither can Julianne 'let's give 8 for no content' Hough. Will miss Len on dwts

Julianne's scores were entirely in keeping with the other 3 judges, including Len's. I'm sick of this rubbish that Julianne favours Derek.

Straight 8s for the Jive
    8 for Foxtrot, Len gave 9.
    Straight 10s for Jazz.
    8 for Rumba, Bruno gave 9.
    Straight 9s for Sadie's Charleston.
    Straight 9s for Tango.
    10 for Paso, same as Carrie Ann and Bruno.
    9 for Salsa, Bruno scored 10.
    Voted for Bethany in Dance-off, so did Len.
    Straight 9s for VW.
    10 for Argentine Tango, same as Len.
    Straight 9s for Samba.
    Straight 10s for Contemporary.
    Sraight 9s for Jive.
    Straight 10s for Freestyle.

She never, individually, gave Derek the highest judges' score. Not once.

Compare to Maks who gave a 9 for Amber's Jazz routine when everyone else gave it a 10, because Hough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julianne's scores were entirely in keeping with the other 3 judges, including Len's. I'm sick of this rubbish that Julianne favours Derek.

Straight 8s for the Jive
    8 for Foxtrot, Len gave 9.
    Straight 10s for Jazz.
    8 for Rumba, Bruno gave 9.
    Straight 9s for Sadie's Charleston.
    Straight 9s for Tango.
    10 for Paso, same as Carrie Ann and Bruno.
    9 for Salsa, Bruno scored 10.
    Voted for Bethany in Dance-off, so did Len.
    Straight 9s for VW.
    10 for Argentine Tango, same as Len.
    Straight 9s for Samba.
    Straight 10s for Contemporary.
    Sraight 9s for Jive.
    Straight 10s for Freestyle.

She never, individually, gave Derek the highest judges' score. Not once.

Compare to Maks who gave a 9 for Amber's Jazz routine when everyone else gave it a 10, because Hough.

You mean the other judges that also been accused of over scoring and favouring Derek ok then :D I love how Julianne is fair when she marks one point lower but Maks is bias. Julianne saying this dance has no content and giving it a 8 well she wouldn't have done that with any other pro just Derek that equals bias. No matter what Derek is her brother & she is going favour him whether she means to or not. It is not that hard to get people on the panel who aren't related to the pro and who actual add something to the panel with IMO Julianne didn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean the other judges that also been accused of over scoring and favouring Derek ok then :D I love how Julianne is fair when she marks one point lower but Maks is bias. Julianne saying this dance has no content and giving it a 8 well she wouldn't have done that with any other pro just Derek that equals bias. No matter what Derek is her brother & she is going favour him whether she means to or not. It is not that hard to get people on the panel who aren't related to the pro and who actual add something to the panel with IMO Julianne didn't.

Have you seen Maks' systematic twitter campaigns to get Val a mirrorball? His public slander of Alfonso when he won (quickly deleted)? Yeh, Maks clearly has an agenda.

And I hardly see Len as Derek's biggest fan. No doubt in his final season he'll remind everyone why he's the grumpy judge and blast some form of the choreography. I think the only reason he didn't slam Derek this season is because he wasn't there for half of it! I really think you're just looking for controversy where there isn't one based on a personal vendetta. Maybe, rather than suggesting that 4 different judges and two different executive producers favour Derek unjustly, maybe just say, they like seeing talent..? Unless you're saying the two emmey nominations panels are also incredibly biased... Either way, Julianne is no more fair or unfair than any of the other judges, so saying you'll "miss Len" because he's not biased, yet gives the same scores as Julianne is showing your bias, especially suggesting Maks would somehow be a good judge for exactly the same reason...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you seen Maks' systematic twitter campaigns to get Val a mirrorball? His public slander of Alfonso when he won (quickly deleted)? Yeh, Maks clearly has an agenda.

And I hardly see Len as Derek's biggest fan. No doubt in his final season he'll remind everyone why he's the grumpy judge and blast some form of the choreography. I think the only reason he didn't slam Derek this season is because he wasn't there for half of it! I really think you're just looking for controversy where there isn't one based on a personal vendetta. Maybe, rather than suggesting that 4 different judges and two different executive producers favour Derek unjustly, maybe just say, they like seeing talent..? Unless you're saying the two emmey nominations panels are also incredibly biased... Either way, Julianne is no more fair or unfair than any of the other judges, so saying you'll "miss Len" because he's not biased, yet gives the same scores as Julianne is showing your bias, especially suggesting Maks would somehow be a good judge for exactly the same reason...

Stop twisting my words and making things up, I never ever said Maks would be a good judge he would be awful especially if Val was still there as a pro. I like Julianne but not as a judge I said I wanted no one on the panel, including Maks, who is related to the pros. Derek is my favourite pro doesn't mean I don't see that he is favoured at times. I never say Len was not biased as you suggest and in that post that you quoted I said other judges meaning Len as well. I will Len miss because he is the only judge on dwts that ever worries about ballroom dancing. I was saying in my post that edy10 can't say that Maks marking a 9 instead of 10 in Amber's jive shows bias in that one instance as I don't think it deserved 10 but I forgot 9 is such a terrible score isn't it? One minute you are telling me that Len isn't Derek's biggest fan suggesting that I suggested he was :confused::confused: then in the same post you are telling that I said Len wasn't bias :confused: well it can't be both and yes you are right I obviously have a personal vendetta against two of my favourite dancers that have been on dwts >:( .Please read my posts before commenting on them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stop twisting my words and making things up, I never ever said Maks would be a good judge he would be awful especially if Val was still there as a pro. I like Julianne but not as a judge I said I wanted no one on the panel, including Maks, who is related to the pros. Derek is my favourite pro doesn't mean I don't see that he is favoured at times. I never say Len was not biased as you suggest and in that post that you quoted I said other judges meaning Len as well. I will Len miss because he is the only judge on dwts that ever worries about ballroom dancing. I was saying in my post that edy10 can't say that Maks marking a 9 instead of 10 in Amber's jive shows bias in that one instance as I don't think it deserved 10 but I forgot 9 is such a terrible score isn't it? One minute you are telling me that Len isn't Derek's biggest fan suggesting that I suggested he was :confused::confused: then in the same post you are telling that I said Len wasn't bias :confused: well it can't be both and yes you are right I obviously have a personal vendetta against two of my favourite dancers that have been on dwts >:( .Please read my posts before commenting on them.

Oh get over yourself. I said it's hypocritical saying you'll miss Len in the same breath as saying Julianne is biased when giving the same scores.Surely if, as you say, they're all biased, according to you, then Len going is no issue whatsoever because he's pulling the same line as the other 3. And I said Len isn't Derek's biggest fan BECAUSE he isn't biased (unless somehow being biased the other way produces the same scores!) bottom line, as far as I'm concerned, as is everybody else who has a brain, Julianne isn't biased and Len'll be missed for the same reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh get over yourself. I said it's hypocritical saying you'll miss Len in the same breath as saying Julianne is biased when giving the same scores.Surely if, as you say, they're all biased, according to you, then Len going is no issue whatsoever because he's pulling the same line as the other 3. And I said Len isn't Derek's biggest fan BECAUSE he isn't biased (unless somehow being biased the other way produces the same scores!) bottom line, as far as I'm concerned,as is everybody else who has a brain, Julianne isn't biased and Len'll be missed for the same reason.

No you didn't you said I have a personal vendetta & bias against the Houghs which is laughable as I said I am a fan of both of them epecially Derek and that I wanted Maks as a judge which could be further from the truth.

I didn't say Julianne was biased in the same breath as saying I would miss Len I say she wasn't impartial which she isn't as she is Derek's sister. I will miss Len because he is the only thing on DWTS that is about ballroom as the show has moved so far away from its origins, I miss what he stands for on the show and that to me he is the fairest judge on dwts but I don't like him on strictly where I prefer Craig. Julianne is an amazing dancer but i don't like her as a judge as she lets her history with other pros cloud her judgement.

Do I think the judges sometimes favour Derek? Yes, do I think the tptb favour him at times? Yes, do I always agree with the judges? No because it is their opinion. Maybe I use the wrong term by saying bias but judges do have their preferences and do play favourites whether you like it or not. IMO the judges overscore everyone on dwts where the lowest you ever get is 5.

Btw I have a brain thank you very much just because I don't agree with you don't mean anything. The thing that annoyed me about your post was you saying that I say that Maks would be a good judge which I never did but if you can find where I say it go ahead
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No you didn't you said I have a personal vendetta & bias against the Houghs which is laughable as I said I am a fan of both of them epecially Derek and that I wanted Maks as a judge which could be further from the truth.

I didn't say Julianne was biased in the same breath as saying I would miss Len I say she wasn't impartial which she isn't as she is Derek's sister. I will miss Len because he is the only thing on DWTS that is about ballroom as the show has moved so far away from its origins, I miss what he stands for on the show and that to me he is the fairest judge on dwts but I don't like him on strictly where I prefer Craig. Julianne is an amazing dancer but i don't like her as a judge as she lets her history with other pros cloud her judgement.

Do I think the judges sometimes favour Derek? Yes, do I think the tptb favour him at times? Yes, do I always agree with the judges? No because it is their opinion. Maybe I use the wrong term by saying bias but judges do have their preferences and do play favourites whether you like it or not. IMO the judges overscore everyone on dwts where the lowest you ever get is 5.

Btw I have a brain thank you very much just because I don't agree with you don't mean anything. The thing that annoyed me about your post was you saying that I say that Maks would be a good judge which I never did but if you can find where I say it go ahead

Sorry, it was because you replied to my comment to someone saying he would be.

And Julianne may not be a ballroom judge but has spent her entire life doing ballroom, she knows what she's talking about, and has inevitably been brought in to be the ballroom expert when Len does go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, it was because you replied to my comment to someone saying he would be.

And Julianne may not be a ballroom judge but has spent her entire life doing ballroom, she knows what she's talking about, and has inevitably been brought in to be the ballroom expert when Len does go.

Personally I wouldn't mind Julianne as a judge on strictly where Derek isn't a pro I just don't like the judging panel being related to the pros or celebs (rumours are flying that Julianne and Derek's cousin is on next series) but i would prefer her back on the dance floor tbh.