Singles originally for other artists

Comments

• mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Zeb Atlas wrote: »
    Bryan Adams' Everything I Do (I Do it For You) was originally passed to Kate Bush and then Annie Lennox. Doubt either of them would have had 16 weeks at no.1 with it though!

I couldn't imagine Kate Bush singing that.
  • huddiepuddieshuddiepuddies Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Feels like I'm in love by Kelly Marie c 1977 written by Ray Dorsey of Mungo Jerry for, of all people, Elvis.

Just can't imagine it.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cherry7Up wrote: »
    Belinda Carlisle has said that she was offered 'Falling Into You'. She really liked it but the record company didn't.
    It went on to be a hit for Celine Dion.

Without reading this (and no I never did in 2011!) my mind would never have compared Carlisle's 'Love In The Key Of C' with Dion's 'Falling Into You'. Now that it has, it comes as no surprise that the two songs are almost identical.

An obvious one I suppose, but although Madonna had a hand in writing 'Each Time You Break My Heart' for Nick Kamen, she did record her own version. The key sounds a bit iffy on Madge's version (not that NK could ever have been judged a 'great singer' for his rendition), but nonetheless that was probably correctable and the overall production 'sound' of the song makes it easy to imagine as the sorely missing '10th track' that True Blue lacked.
  • SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgive me if this was already mentioned, but the first song on the radio from LeAnn Rimes named "Blue" was meant for Patsy Cline.

God bless you and LeAnn always!!! :):):)

Holly (a day one fan of LeAnn)
  • lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgive me if this was already mentioned, but the first song on the radio from LeAnn Rimes named "Blue" was meant for Patsy Cline.

God bless you and LeAnn always!!! :):):)

And first recorded when she was 15. I REALLY hate the song but you cant help be impressed with vocals!
  • SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ Actually LeAnn was 13 when "Blue" first went to radio. :):):)

God bless you and her always!!! :):):)

• intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    May I ask, as I don't know much about how these things work, are the artists given just the lyrics to these songs or are they given the whole arrangement with music and backing vocals?

Back to topic: I read somewhere that It's all coming back to me now by Celine Dion was meant for Meatloaf
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May I ask, as I don't know much about how these things work, are the artists given just the lyrics to these songs or are they given the whole arrangement with music and backing vocals?

Back to topic: I read somewhere that It's all coming back to me now by Celine Dion was meant for Meatloaf

Depends. With Rihanna, songwriters and producers submit instrumentals or full tracks for her to consider. Her label also holds "writing camps" where a certain number of writers and producers are flown out to work together to come up with songs for Rihanna to record.

Usually, her demos have all the instrumental and lyrics already completed, so all she has to do is show up and record it.

For example, this is the demo to "her" song Only Girl. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WJswMYHG-g I think artists like Britney and Beyoncé also have similar processes but perhaps with slightly more involvement in the writing process.

Not every pop artist is like that though. Katy has a hand in the writing process and does all her own background vocals, whereas Rihanna, Cheryl, Britney etc. would have sound-a-like backing vocalists to contribute harmonies and sometimes even sing the main vocal along with them to make their vocals sound better.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Depends. With Rihanna, songwriters and producers submit instrumentals or full tracks for her to consider. Her label also holds "writing camps" where a certain number of writers and producers are flown out to work together to come up with songs for Rihanna to record.

Usually, her demos have all the instrumental and lyrics already completed, so all she has to do is show up and record it.

For example, this is the demo to "her" song Only Girl. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WJswMYHG-g I think artists like Britney and Beyoncé also have similar processes but perhaps with slightly more involvement in the writing process.

Not every pop artist is like that though. Katy has a hand in the writing process and does all her own background vocals, whereas Rihanna, Cheryl, Britney etc. would have sound-a-like backing vocalists to contribute harmonies and sometimes even sing the main vocal along with them to make their vocals sound better.

Britney has actually got quite a few demos of songs floating around. Some are of songs that eventually made her albums and some are of songs that she never recorded or were given to other artists. I have quite a few Britney demos. Most of them are from Blackout and Femme Fatale but I have some unused ones as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney has actually got quite a few demos of songs floating around. Some are of songs that eventually made her albums and some are of songs that she never recorded or were given to other artists. I have quite a few Britney demos. Most of them are from Blackout and Femme Fatale but I have some unused ones as well.

Weirdly the demo for (Drop Dead) Beautiful was apparently intended for Chris Brown. Ester wrote the song from the perspective of a male, the final version was re-jigged for Britney.

Also there is a man (Benny Blanco I think?) singing in the background of the final version as well. :p
  • casperfan2002@ycasperfan2002@y Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cliffy91 wrote: »
    What's Love got to do with it by Tina Turner was written for Cliff Richard but his management team turned it down without sending it to Cliff,don't think he was too please about that

Bucks Fizz recorded What's Love Got To Do With It before Tina but it went unreleased and only resurfaced on a re-release of their second album Are You Ready?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Weirdly the demo for (Drop Dead) Beautiful was apparently intended for Chris Brown. Ester wrote the song from the perspective of a male, the final version was re-jigged for Britney.

Also there is a man (Benny Blanco I think?) singing in the background of the final version as well. :p

I read that somewhere before as well. I have the demo and it's sung by a man. I don't know who the guy singing it is. I just now Britney's not singing it :p Never noticed that. I must listen to it again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mentioned it before but the Sugababes 'About You Now' was intended for Kelly Clarkson's third album but she turned it down when she wanted to go with her 'new sound'
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    A cover of The Tide Is High was intended as a single by Billie. It's on her compilation 'best of'.

She has a best off :o

Mary J also turned down Umbrella
    Also Michael Jackson's Bad was originally intended as a duet between him and Prince, but surprisingly, Prince hated Jacko so turned it down
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    She has a best off :o

Mary J also turned down Umbrella
    Also Michael Jackson's Bad was originally intended as a duet between him and Prince, but surprisingly, Prince hated Jacko so turned it down

I thought Prince turned it down as he objected to the first line of the song: "Your butt is mine.....". It was mentioned earlier in the thread:
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Only because Prince said no after hearing the first line of the song...Prince would have been the Wesley Snipes character in the video.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read that somewhere before as well. I have the demo and it's sung by a man. I don't know who the guy singing it is. I just now Britney's not singing it :p Never noticed that. I must listen to it again.

The demo is sung by Ester Dean, she's a woman, but she sounds like Bieber. :blush:
    Forum Member

Usually, her demos have all the instrumental and lyrics already completed, so all she has to do is show up and record it . . .

So say for example if she recorded these songs and then decided she didn't like it and so it went to say... Adele, for example, would Adele's record label then present the song to her and she would sing it in the same beat, same temp, same instruments etc as Rihanna had done except her vocals are there instead of Rihanna's, or would the record label present the lyrics to her and then if she liked it she would record it in her own style? I'm pretty sure that Adele writes all her songs but I used her as an example because the two artists are so different.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So say for example if she recorded these songs and then decided she didn't like it and so it went to say... Adele, for example, would Adele's record label then present the song to her and she would sing it in the same beat, same temp, same instruments etc as Rihanna had done except her vocals are there instead of Rihanna's, or would the record label present the lyrics to her and then if she liked it she would record it in her own style? I'm pretty sure that Adele writes all her songs but I used her as an example because the two artists are so different.

Yes like when Ellie Goulding was offered Burn she altered some lyrics altered the style a little to fit her sound and voila :).
  • coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flying without wings - for ronan keating
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Both are possible. It all depends on the artist and what they feel about the song to be honest. But some artists choose to keep the exact same arrangement and others prefer to change a few things, usually so that they can blag a writing credit. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much every single Rita Ora has ever released was intended for someone else including the DJ Fresh track that got her better introduced to the world which was originally written for Jessie J.
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bucks Fizz recorded What's Love Got To Do With It before Tina but it went unreleased and only resurfaced on a re-release of their second album Are You Ready?

I hate the song,didn't mind the Cliff recording of it he did many years later but for some reason I think I'd enjoy Bucks Fizz singing it :blush:

I'll have to look it up
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Vince Clarke offered Only You to the rest of Depeche Mode when he left to tide them over.
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Yes like when Ellie Goulding was offered Burn she altered some lyrics altered the style a little to fit her sound and voila :).
    Both are possible. It all depends on the artist and what they feel about the song to be honest. But some artists choose to keep the exact same arrangement and others prefer to change a few things, usually so that they can blag a writing credit. :p

Thank you both :):)
  • Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Build Me Up Buttercup by the Foundations was originally offered to a then unknown David Essex who apparently turned it down because he didn't like the song title

I can imagine his version would have been a bit twee though